• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire unlocked

Latest status...figured I might as well take the plunge and update to 2.2 (Froyo) now, before I customize everything and have to do it again...

So I took the plunge...setup my goldcard, ran the HTC update...everything went absolutely without any problem, so now running the plain Sense 2.2...which should get any HTC Sense updates OTA...

Couldn't be happier with the phone

Upvote 0
For Tokoki...
I am a newbie on this. I will be getting a Telus Desire here in Markham and plan to upgrade it to 2.2. There so many articles in how to do this and I am confused on what to use. Do you have the links to the sites you used for upgrade info, e.g., goldcard setup, HTC update that works for telus.
From recent blogs, I think I will probably be getting the SLCD version. Did you use this version as well?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hey,

Yeah, I went the goldcard route for HTC Sense 2.2.

Basically:

1) Bought at BB for full price - didn't get any hassle about registering with Telus.
2) Got home, got unlock code (since I'm with Fido) from CellUnlock.net for $19.99.
3) Popped in my Fido SIM, got prompted by the phone for my unlock code (which I had received by email), and that was that.

At that point, I had the standard Telus HTC Sense based on Android 2.1. There's no real Telus "branding" (no Telus logo or anything)...just a Telus scene pre-configured, that's all.

So, next step, I decided to upgrade to the unbranded HTC Sense based on Android 2.2.

For that, I followed the instruction in the Froyo RUU update available thread.

First was creating the GoldCard...I used this site:
Debranding / Unlocking an HTC Desire - The giffgaff community

Make sure you have HTC Sync installed...After that, once you have your Goldcard in...leave phone in USB drive mode...and run the HTC Update (.exe) file you find in the first post of the Froyo RUU update thread...

That does everything for you...boots the phone in the proper mode, etc...and it's done in 5-10 min about...

Reactions: abe.tomas
Upvote 0
Question to Totoki...

If I have a wireless at home - will it qualify as a WiFi that I can use at home instead of data from the cell provider?
I have WiFi at work too, so no need for data there either. Is there a lot of spots around (I know it changes from city to city) that u can use with the phone?

I am thinking of getting just a cheap pay as u go service and save on the data plan - same as u did.

Upvote 0
idea3 - That's basically what I do. WiFi at home and at work (although, you need to be aware that for some dumb reason, Google has NOT implemented Wireless connection proxying - so, if your work WiFi requires a proxy to get out, you're screwed). Aside from that, you can find free WiFi rather easily (shopping malls especially).

'course, there are always the occasions where it'd be nice to have data on the phone directly - but I've never felt the need enough to dish out the $30-$40 a month extra for that.

Especially considering the fact that you can have maps offline ...so I use my phone as a GPS - no direction ala "turn left in 100m" - but just the position and direction in which you're driving...that's all I really want.

Upvote 0
For Tokoki...
I am a newbie on this. I will be getting a Telus Desire here in Markham and plan to upgrade it to 2.2. There so many articles in how to do this and I am confused on what to use. Do you have the links to the sites you used for upgrade info, e.g., goldcard setup, HTC update that works for telus.
From recent blogs, I think I will probably be getting the SLCD version. Did you use this version as well?

Thanks.
Hey Tokoki I have the telus htc desire and was thinking of updating to froyo. I just had a few questions
1. Have you had any problems with your phone since installing the update.
2. Does froyo come with htc sense or is it the bare version

Upvote 0
sorry if my info is irelivant but going back to the first post about useing the desire in europe...
im not sure about canada but to use a uk phone in the usa it needs to be tri-band.. and unlike the nexus one witch was tri-band the desire is only dual-band:
Dual band HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100, 850/2100 or 850/1900 MHz depending on vendor

worth finding out what band the canadian version uses and what bands in european countrys use before you buy the phone and make your trip

Upvote 0
hi there, can somebody tell me who are those people who really gives you the telus desire for no contract? so far, i have contacted about 10 different FS and BB, and they all have turned me down saying they can't sell the phone as either they don't have it in stock or i have to go for a telus contract. Also, all those lucky desire owners, can you tell me if you can run rogers/fido 3g connection if you unlock the phone and use it? i had a horrible experience with my nexus one which never worked on my rogers 3g connection and unfortunately i had to sell it. thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones