HTC Desire Unrooting Process (with PB99IMG.zip) Illustrated-A walkover for SLCD bricked Desires

1. droidzone

droidzone Well-Known Member

Note: The following post illustrates the actual steps necessary to unroot your HTC Desire by running the PB99IMG.zip. This is also the method to upgrade the software with the RUU, the last method to fix bootloops cause by a bad boot, and also the way to unbrick an SLCD bricked Desire. Note that another simple method exists to unroot the device, and that is by directly running the exe file of the RUU from Windows. Though simple, this is slightly riskier, since complications with Windows drivers, or a sudden power surge or PC reboot can semibrick/brick your device. The following method using PB99IMG.zip eliminates those problems.

Unrooting is just one of the steps necessary to unbrick an SLCD bricked HTC Desire. The process is a pain for these users because they cant see anything on the screen and left pressing keys in sequence, whose function they can only guess. Also they need to wait specific amounts of time before pressing the sequences.

Note: For an (almost) complete guide on Unbricking an SLCD Desire, and for an exhaustive FAQ on Goldcards, see this thread.

I'm making visible the steps which the Android system proceeds through, when you run a PB99IMG.zip to unroot your Android device. I've also included the time taken before each step while running the WWE 2.29 RUU as PB99IMG.zip. The time isnt much different for other ROMs. To be sure, just give it about 30secs more than the time I've noted.

Initial steps:

1. Create a goldcard if you want to convert a branded Desire to unbranded, or vice versa, or to convert a Desire of one region (CID) to another region.
    2. After creating the goldcard, format it as FAT32. If more than one partition exist, delete the rest, and format one as Primary and FAT32.
    3. Put the file PB99IMG.zip into the root of the goldcard. Note that the name must be PB99IMG.zip and not PB99IMG.zip.zip. Windows has a tendency to rename it as the latter.
    4. If you dont already have the PB99IMG.zip, you can get it by running the RUU, and while the RUU is loaded (dont start the RUU upgrade. Just click on the exe, and when the welcome screen of RUU shows up,) search in your Temp folder for the file rom.zip. Hint: To quickly navigate to Temp, Type the following into the Run window: %TEMP%
    5. To run the PB99IMG.zip, just reboot with Vol- and power button pressed.

I'm describing the whole boot process below for Reference, though.

Hboot mode (Vol- & Power key. Key them pressed for a 5-6 secs

FOR INSTALLING ANY RUU AS PB99IMG.ZIP

Press Vol- , then w/o releasing it, press Power button + Vol –

After 3-4 secs, the following screen shows up momentarily:

Advertisement
    Tyseyh, Abdur and Sak01 like this.
  2. droidzone

Reserved for more
  3. droidzone

One more..For FAQs
  4. cdew

cdew Member

is this for a alltel cdma desire ?
  5. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Have you tryed reading it?
  6. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

In a word, no
  7. cdew

cdew Member

so i guess im dead in the water with this desire cdma phone
  8. kokaine

kokaine New Member

I had been messing around with my Desire rooting and trying to flash it when I messed it up. I updated Clockworkmod to 2509 and after this my phone wouldn't boot. It just got stuck at the HTC logo.
    I came across this tutorial and I just so happened to have had the RUU and I managed to fix my phone.
    I just wanted to say thanks to droidzone, this really helped me out of that jam :)
  9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Theres a thanks button too ;)
    dippergt750 likes this.
  10. handy5876

handy5876 Guest

My phone is unbranded phone and I didnt bother about the goldcard procedure. But I read the other day that the unbranded phones may really be internally branded and will create problem if and when RUU time comes. Does the CID (that long no in /sys.. ) change if you flash roms? I made a goldcard.img now AFTER rooting, soff and flashing roms. So is the cid valid for creating goldcard?

Which is the RUU /PB99IMG I should choose? My INFOCID is HTC__038 now if that is relevant. How do I know whether my phone is SLCD or AMOLED and is it also relevant?
  11. SUroot

Indian phones are mostly branded (ARA). So as long as you have the correct RUU, no need for a gold card. The CID of the phone does not change. Its hard coded.

The goldcard image is not actually using teh phones CID. The image is generated using the SD Card's CID. You can actually create one without a HTC desire, in a card reader.
  12. handy5876

handy5876 Guest

Thanks. I am still slightly confused. When you say the phone cid it is htc_038 ? And when u say sdcard cid it is that loong no?
    Any case how do I know which is the correct ruu.
    Thanks in advance.
  13. SUroot

The CID the goldcard tool gets is the long number (Actually called reverse CID) this is the long number rather than the one quoted above. The phone CID is what you pasted but this si not used in goldcard creation

Whats the software version you have? Could be the HTC Asia build which technically is branded too..
  14. handy5876

handy5876 Guest

Hee hee. Small goof up. I didn't note down the software no before I flashed the rom.
    So I just need to keep my fingers crossed and hope nothing goes wrong?
  15. handy5876

handy5876 Guest

Managed to retreive my software no. The nandroid backup of sense which I did before flashing rom soon after rooting was lying around. I found system.img file on that. I unyaffsed that and in the top level directory i found build.prop file. This file contained a line
    ro.build.description=2.13.720.2 CL 274424
    I guess thats my software no. and now all I need to do is locate the RUU.
  16. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

I have two noobie questions about unrooting via RUU (I have tried the forums and excellent FAQ:s/guides on the stickythreads, but I'm probably too dense to understand):

Does the RUU restore the phone completely to stock including the Hboot partition table, or do I have to do this manually before I flash the RUU?

Do I have to reformat and repartition my EXT3-partitioned SD-card to a single FAT32-partition before I flash the RUU?
  17. handy5876

handy5876 Guest

The ruu contains the full works including radio, hboot, splash etc. I got a feeling it will just ignore your ext3. But I suspect the goldcard is someway involved.
  18. bgmania

bgmania New Member

i have a problem. i copied the PB99IMG.zip to the Sd card but when i enter the hboot i get this .
    Loading PB9IMG.zip
    No Image!
    My phone isnt rooted .
    I am trying to install the 2.3 update using the Sd Card.
  19. SUroot

The name must be all in capital letters. Also must not be .zip.zip

Also, it must.be on the root of sd, not in s folder
  20. droidzone

Uh, oh... Did you say your phone isnt rooted and you're applying the latest official RUU?

One word: DONT! You wont be able to root it in the near future!
  21. matthijszz

matthijszz New Member

Sorry to bump this, but having a problem with this method.

I have rooted with revolution, tried to instal cool 3d v3 as custom rom. got me in a bootloop. tried ruu.exe, after that i couldn't get in to recovery anymore, just hboot/fastboot. now i created a goldcard, put pb99img on it, took all steps. it said completed.. you want to reboot? i pressed yes and now my desire is stuck on htc loading screen..
  22. jamsh

jamsh Member

I followed these instructions and have been on Gingerbread for a few months now - very clear and even for me, very easy.
    If I wanted to try a new ROM (ICS9), how would I reroot my Desire.
  23. SUroot

Using the appropriate guide in the "all things root guide" sticky thread.