HTC Desire upgrade March 2012.

Last Updated:

1. sudored

sudored Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Most of us will be upgrading on or around this date, What spec phone do you think we will be looking at by then?

Advertisement
  2. DMXXX

DMXXX Well-Known Member

Who cares as the world has surely ended by then...;)

On the real though I think that high end smartphones will all have at least a 2 GHz/dual-core processor and a nice 10+ MP Camera and other expected upgrades. Of course I expect them to have improved the battery but I supppose that people were expecting that 18 months ago as well. I doubt that something big and revolutionary will happen in the mobile phone industry by 2012.

3. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

Firstly there's no way of predicting anything that far out, such is the pace of mobile development.

Secondly - March 2012!? I'll be upgrading in July next year!

4. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member

Nope....ill be upgrading when the next best version comes out....could be this Xmas..who knows.

I certainly wouldnt take a contract out for any more than 1 year anyway....

I buy sim free always and when a new version comes out, buy the new one and sell the old one....i normally only have to fork out

5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

A phone that dispenses

6. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

If they start putting 10 megapixel sensors into cameras I'm going to find out where the designers live and throw sticks at them till they come to their senses. :rolleyes:

How many people make large prints out of images from their phone cameras? Next to none. I have a DSLR with 10 megapixels, and I can make a beautiful looking three foot long canvas/poster print out of the images. Most phone camera photos don't get beyond places like facebook, where a good quality two megapixel camera will look better than a crappy quality 10 megapixel one. High definition TV is only about 2 megapixels, and you don't need much more than that for a nice 4x6 inch photo print. Hell 2 megapixels looks fine printed on a sheet of A4.

Megapixels are irrelevant for most uses of phone cameras. It's the QUALITY of the sensor they need to improve, not the amount of pixels.

7. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I want a 4.3" device with 720p resolution.

That is pretty much all I can say, who knows what kind of crazy processors we'll have then!

8. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

- Dual core processor
    - 4.3" Super AMOLED with 1280x720 screen resolution
    - 4G (possibly but probably not)
    - MicroSDXC support (up to 2TB memory cards)
    - Android 4.0 or even 5.0 or 6.0

One thing I would really like to see is a revolutionary new battery technology.. seems like one of the few things that hasn't been vastly improved over the past few years in this fast paced world of technology.

9. Arctic-Winds

Arctic-Winds Active Member

A full on multitasking, mini tablet, gaming powerhouse of a phone with amazing photo and video capabilities. Or in other words a cross between an iPhone, Desire, N900 and a PS2. All hail THE GOD PHONE!!

10. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

....a 4.5 inch screen that is also a solar panel, so I can charge the battery while I can't see the screen in sunlight ;)

11. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

Knowing how fast technology moves these days, means I'll only ever tie myself into a 12 month contract.

So come next April, I guess I'll be looking at more 4.3" screens with 1.5ghz processors....being able to make me a nice cup of tea is probably still a few years off sadly :(

12. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Probably a 4Ghz quad core phone with a DX11 GPU and 12GB RAM

13. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member

Well my upgrade is next in April 2011! I have no idea what to get then!

14. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

I've got the Desire until sometime in 2012, but I'm not an early adopter anyway. For a wish list though..

* Camera with any number of pixels, but a larger, good quality CCD please!
    * Lots more internal memory and/or ALL Android apps supporting SD installs.
    * Faster CPU, half decent GPU, full Flash, OpenGL and DirectX support.
    * 4", high quality capacitive screen. Owt bigger and it'll be a tablet and not pocket sized enough for me.
    * Full voice commands for the major phone features.
    * Better browsers. Dolphin isn't bad, but it's not there yet.
    * Vastly improved battery life!
    * Dual sim card support would be nice. Business and private.
    * SDXC or whatever the latest and greatest is.
    * A more advanced marketplace. Google really need to work on it.

Not that I'm greedy or anything, but that'll do for now :p

15. DMXXX

DMXXX Well-Known Member

I agree but we already have 8 MP cameras. Besides they will still add more megapixels if they improve the sensors. Nobody wants to buy a 700 dollar phone with 2 MP, even if it is enough to take a nice photo. People just like bigger numbers.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing that I want today not in 2012: PAID APPS ENABLED IN MY COUNTRY!!!!!!

16. TonyHTC

TonyHTC Active Member

Regarding better battery life....

"Nokia has filed a patent for a new battery technology that could lead to the development of self-charging power cells in mobile phones.
    The 'Piezoelectric Kinetic Energy Harvester' combines the principles of piezoelectricity and kinetic energy to create a battery that can be charged simply by moving around."

At the moment the technology isn't developed enough to fully charge a cell phone battery but give it time and this could be standard.

Self charging mobile phone = YES PLEASE!!

17. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

That idea was thought up god knows how many years ago by some student at university if I recall. But even if I don't, Nokia had nothing to do with the initial concept. And incidentally, it's worthless for anyone with a desk job, and worthless when you're at home, because you won't be walking around.

By far the best solution to the battery problem are the Li-Ion batteries being developed with a specially designed nano-coating on the electrodes to allow the chemical reactions to occur much much faster, which could lead to phone batteries being fully charged in a matter of minutes/seconds. But it may be a while before they're viable.

18. matthew1471

matthew1471 Member

Amen to that, sunshine :D . I completely agree.

19. DroidPete

DroidPete Active Member

- The UK finally having 4G - I actually don't hold much hope - though networks will cap it so much in terms of throttles and FUP that it will be just like 3G.
    - ^At the same time, the rest of the world looking to invest in 5G? :p
    - UK mobile networks will continue to be unaware that customers want good reliable service with fast data speeds. Therefore, same old crappy networks.
    - iPhone owners will have upgraded twice - once from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4G, then as the money-spinners go, it will be from iPhone 4G to iPhone 4GS - gotta <3 the S, right?
    - Phone camera almost at digital camera level - after 12-14MP it becomes a bit irrelevant. Optical zoom perhaps?
    - Android storming ahead in terms of mobile market share.
    - Battery life should has to improve.
    - Obvious increases in Ghz for teh CPU
    - Google will have launched their native music store to take on iTunes - if DRM-free it will be a success imo.

20. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

+1