HTC Desire upgrade to 2.2

Last Updated:

1. tim.muhl

tim.muhl New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Everyone

I currently have a HTC Desire, it is currently rooted and operating Firmware version 2.1-update1 with a custom rom. I could like to upgrade to the new 2.2 Froyo however i was unsure what would happen if i do.

My main concern is this and your help be greatly appreciated, Will i loose all my current settings and applications ie would i have to re download all my apps, redo my front screen(s) and basically set the phone up again.

In would i just load a 2.2 rom onto the phone like i did a 2.1 or is the process for rooted device more involved.

Thanks
    Tim M

Advertisement
  2. Kev23

Kev23 Well-Known Member

You'll lose everything in the update... but if you use Titanium Backup (on the market), then you can backup your apps and settings.

You'll also need an app from the market to back up any sms's... try SMS Backup. (apparently Titanium does this but Iv'e never been able to make it work.

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

It depends what custom 2.1 rom youre going from and which 2.2 custom rom youre going to. If you update to a custom rom from the same author as your 2.1, you may keep some data and apps, but titanium is always the safe bet.

4. tim.muhl

tim.muhl New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guys

Thank you both for your reply, i will give it a shot.

5. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

I am in "Almost" the same boat ......

I also have Desire, I rooted the stock 2.1 that came with the phone, but DID NOT install the custom ROM ..... so its rooted but no custom rom and still running 2.1. Now I have received the official message to upgrade my phone to 2.2

My question is the same, what will happen if I accept the update.Will I also loose all the setting considering the fact I did not install custom ROM.

Coming to Titanium, I have backed up everything, and I suppose it backs up in your mem card. How will I restore from Titanium since the application will be removed from phone.

Would titanium bring back the phone in the "exact" state when I took the backup .....
    I mean all the custom themes, live wallpapers, icon packs, not to forget every contact I moved from sim to phone and linked it with facebook and fliker and customised the look. I hope titanium brings back all this ....Something like Nortan Ghost Image for windows ...

Thanks in advance and appreciate any help on this ...

Regards
    Sammy

6. SUroot

If you accept the update, you will lose Root access and would have to root again. Titanium doesnt return everything to how it was, just data, settings and apps.

If you use rom manager with clockworkmod recovery, you will take a snapshot of your current rom.

If I had a rooted 2.1 phone and wanted 2.2, id flash a custom 2.2 rom personally. There are so many things you can do with root, thatits a waste losing it.

7. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

^^ Ok appriciate your help .... so I have to root again ....which guide to follow the same which I followed for 2.1 which is HERE It was for bootloader HBOOT 0.83 ......

Also pardon my n00bness, here ...... whats the difference between official 2.2 update and a custom 2.2 ROM, would custom 2.2 rom include all the features of Official 2.2 as well.....

Thanks in advance and appreciate your help here

8. SUroot

Yes it would, plus maybe some extras. They are generally faster, more stable and better battery life.

If you go for MoDaCo R8 for example, it will look very close (if not identical) to the Stock 2.2, but is just better

9. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

Danfrance, you forgot to tell me which guide to follow the same which I followed to Root 2.1 with bootloader 0.83 ........

If its a green signal from your end i will start the rooting process and also install the MoDaCo R8 rom ...... suggest ......

ALso if I need to install MoDaCo as suggested by you all I need to do is install the custom ROM right coz I am already rooted ........ I dont need to accept the official 2.2 reroot and then load custom MoDaCo 2.2 right again !!

10. SUroot

Did you accept the 2.2 OTA update then?

11. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

No I am waiting for your instructions to choose which way to go .....

I mean I am already rooted, I think all I need to do is to install Custom 2.2 rom preferably MoDaCo as suggested by you ...

12. SUroot

I am not sure which Guide you would need to follow, although the Sticky at the top will point you in the right direction IF you update to OTA 2.2

Since you are rooted now, install rom manager from the market. Open rom manager and "Flash clockworkmod recovery"

Then, "backup current rom"

Download modaco and put it on your SD card.

In Rom manager select "Install rom from SD card".

Thats it.

13. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

^^ mmmm ok will give it a shot ....... I hope I will not loose my HTC Sense UI with custom ROM............ I Love that .......

14. SUroot

Not on MoDaCo. Its very close to normal, just better, faster etc

You can always restore back via recovery what you have now, exactly as it is if you "Backup current rom"

15. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

Ok thanks one last question :), and I appreciate your patience here, where can I get MoDaCo ROM ..... searched this forum and I could not find any link. I was able to find others like Cryogentk or something and orange, but not MoDaCo...... I will go with MoDaCo as it will keep my sense UI same ....

Thanks for all your help and patience here ....... I really appreciate ....

PS : BTW can we use two ROMS simultaneously .... kinda like Dual Boot in Windows ... :D

Regards
    Sammy

16. SUroot

No worries.

24/Aug r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo) - Android @ MoDaCo

Its probably worth getting the one which includes a2SD+, even if you don't plan on using it yet.

Also, if you don't subscribe to wave secure, it can be annoying as it is part of this ROM.

Download the zip file to your computer and open it. Browse to System\app and delete com.wsandroid-1.apk if its there. Close the zip and put it on your SD

17. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :) Thats a huge article, I am on it now, will let you knw when I finish or (touch wood) land in any sort of trouble ....... Thanks again .....

18. SUroot

You dont need to read the article. Just download the rom and follow my steps above.

19. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

Okie .... BTW that wave secure apk you mentioned, I found com.wsandroid.apk and NOT com.wsandroid-1.apk , shall i delete it .... ?

20. SUroot

Ah ok. the -1 on mine must be due to a duplication. yes, if you're not subscribed to it, it will annoy you on start up if you dont.

21. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

I think, I am in trouble .... :-(, I started Rom manager took the backup and started the process, it did what it suppose to do for 5-10 minutes I could see the progress ..... booted couple or times and now its stuck at the white screen with HTC logo on it for the past 10 minutes .....????

What shall I do ... I am scared man ....

22. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

Any help urgent ... still at white screen with HTC logo

23. markfireblade97

markfireblade97 Active Member

Am I right in thinking I can root my phone but leave the currently installed 2.1 alone, and it will operate normally until I decide on a custom ROM? Will just the act of rooting remove the branded junk?
    Then if I wanted could I FOA the HTC Froyo update?
    It's Orange branded and locked at the mo...

24. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

^^ Yes you can root and leave the phone with 2.1, thats what I had done, untill you decide to install custom ROM ,,,, also as danfrance said, installing the FOA HTC 2.2 update will remove your rooting and you have to re root again ......

@Danfrance .... I waited n waited but nothing happened, I removed the batt and restarted the phone, it came py passed the white screen and now is stuck at black screen with android logo on it ........... man I am like shivering ..

markfireblade97 likes this.
  25. SUroot

have you installed the rom or is this happening during the backup? whats the android logo look like?

EDIT, and dont be scared. It will all be alright. It always is.

Do you get to the modaco boot screen? Animated?

If not try anotehr battery pull. if same result you can try and reflash the rom. Turn phone off, hold Vol Down and press power. Should boot into recovery.