• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Desire upgrade to 2.2

Hopefully you downloaded the MoDaCo Rom which had A2SD+? The middle one I suggested?

If so:

Create a folder on your PC desktop called SDCARD.

Copy the entire contents of your SDCard into this folder.

format your SD card in the phone. Go into Rom manager and select Partion SD card. Select 512MB. Not sure if there is an option to convert to EXT3 or not, but if there is, do it.

Once done, Copy everything from the SDCARD folder back to the SD card.

Uninstall all the apps you installed with titanium.

Now you are ready with a2sd+. This installs ALL apps on the SD card (Better than froyo).

Run through the titanium restore as before. Make sure you deslect everything and then only select things that are NOT system files.

All the apps will now be installed on the SD card.

Yes i installed the middle a2sd version, but before I move ahead to what you suggested, I need to share few more things. Since the time I completed custom install, the phone is giving quite a few force closure messages............. 3 just random, 1 when I was trying google voice search, 1 while trying out voice dial and 1 during Titanium restore ........

I have a feeling its not running stable........., with stock 2.1, there was no force closure at all. may be one I remember using some application but never while just working around the phone ..... here I have encountered 6 force closures in the past just one hour with 3 while just browsing around the phone .....Is it something like ROM not compatible ... I dont want to go ahead and take the pain of doing the entire customization, partitioning the card, moving applications, setting up the phone, contacts everything and end with instability. Getting force closure errors every now and then .....
Danfrance/Ajanu ...... what do you suggest .....

Also Format SD card is dormant (greyed out) in the phone settings .....
One more thing where is this a2ds I cant seem to locate this app???

Upvote 0
Edit: What Dan said is much more likely. I didn't realize it would update all your system parts as well. Probably the cause of some issues I've had as well.

Have you re-started? Sometimes after a new install it's likes a re-boot. Did the radio update work when you flashed the rom? I see they are recomending 5.09.05.30_2, you can find out in settings-about phone-baseband version. There is a newer radio out, you can find all the radios linked here [RADIO] HTC Desire Stock Radios [LATEST 32.47.00.32_5.10.05.23] [31/08/10] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
If you did a titanium restore you probably replaced 2.2 system files with your backed up 2.1 ones.

You have to unmount the SD card.

I recommend factory reset, SD card format partition, selective titanium restore I.e. unselect system files.

Ok did a factory reset (that removed rom manage rand titanium BTW, I had to reinstall them again), formatted the card through computer via USB, partitioned the card with ext 512 and swap 0.

Now the last step , selective titanium restore ...... how would I know which are system files, AFAIK I can can tell I only recognize my apps through name, rest all look system files ..... :thinking:

EDIT :: Wait if I choose Menu=>filter it gives me the option filter by type ...1, ALL 2. User 3. System ............ so I just need to choose User .....right .... leave system, thats what you want ...

But before the above we need to do the following right ...

"
Once done, Copy everything from the SDCARD folder back to the SD card.

Uninstall all the apps you installed with titanium.

Now you are ready with a2sd+. This installs ALL apps on the SD card (Better than froyo)."

can you explain how to use a2sd to install ALL the apps in SD after I uninstall them from internal mem using titanium ..... ...... I can seem to find a2sd in phone ....
Infact how do I uninstall them ..... same through titanium ....

Upvote 0
Edit: What Dan said is much more likely. I didn't realize it would update all your system parts as well. Probably the cause of some issues I've had as well.

Have you re-started? Sometimes after a new install it's likes a re-boot. Did the radio update work when you flashed the rom? I see they are recomending 5.09.05.30_2, you can find out in settings-about phone-baseband version. There is a newer radio out, you can find all the radios linked here [RADIO] HTC Desire Stock Radios [LATEST 32.47.00.32_5.10.05.23] [31/08/10] - xda-developers

Now what on earth is this radio?????
ajanu ... we will get to this radio thingi later, i am already confused a bit .....:(

Upvote 0
Forget the radio for now, Modaco comes with the radio built in.

Once the SD card is formatted and partitioned, you copy your stuff back to it (so your titanium back ups, files etc) so it will allow you to do the titanium restore.

I haven't used the filter but yes, it sounds about right.

A2SD+ just works. You don't need to do anything. All it does is make the phone think that 512MB partition on your card is internal phone memory so when you install apps the usual way (including titanium restore, market etc), it automatically installs on SD card.

It is confusing at first but you'll get the hang of it.

Oh by the way, you don't need to uninstall any apps you installed with titanium anymore. The factory reset did this, so now we have gone down that root, its irrelevant.

Upvote 0
^^ Oh ok so I just choose the User option through filter and restore all apps, and they should be installed on my mem card, automatically .......right .....

mmm ok then here we go I hope things are not messed up now ....else its every thing all over again ... :(

Dan bro, it doesnt seems right, before doing a complete restore, what i did was choose an application under Backup/restore ...... example Number Saver that I know was installed by me and was on internal memory.

All the applications (which I installed in 2.1) appear as greyed and striked out. If I click on one of my apps Titanium asks if I want to restore it .......which when I do, it asked me if I wanna install it,...........which again when I do .......the application installs, but NOT on the external mem. To check I exited Titanium and went to Applications=>Manage Applications. the application I just installed shows under Downloads and NOT under "On SD Card"

So this means that the apps are not automatically going to SD card ... .......... I however can select he application from under Downloads and choose to move it to SD card (though manage applications) .............but that would be very tedious and defeates the purpose .......

Is there something that we are missing .....

I googled a bit and came across this app called "Quick System Info" that provides details about storage, a2sd, CPU usage etc etc ....... under a2sd all I see is "Information not available" System storage is just 70MB free out of 250MB??? I dont know how, that too without actually installing any app right now ......

I am not sure where r we wrong ...

Upvote 0
Just thought to ....

I rolled back to 2.1 and did an OTA 2.2 update ..... far stable than MoDaCo, MoDaCo was giving me lot of troubles .......the battery was screwed in MoDaCo........ charger was not charging the batt beyond 50% ...... now its fine .....

But as expected I have lostmthe root access and infact my Bootloader is upgraded to 0.93 earlier it was 0.80 .....

The guide this forum suggests as sticky is for Bootloader 0.80 do we have guide for 0.90 as well ...??

Upvote 0
^^ Its ok Danfrance, your guidance actually gave me confidence to fiddle around with the phone. Even though MoDaCo did not work but I learnt a LOT in the process and probably the thread information can also act as a guide for others .......

Anyway I am not leaving you so soon ... :D .. lol , After 2.2 OTA update I now have Bootloader 0.93 and I cannot find a guide that can root 2.2 with 0.93 ..... any help ... :) I also have started a new thread for the same, you can reply there ....

And thanks again for all the help and support you gave.......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones