• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire & VAIO problem: Cannot boot with phone connected via USB

aronin

Lurker
May 23, 2010
A very strange problem that I have come across. I have 2 Sony VAIO laptops (TZ and Y series) and 2 Samsung NC10s at home. When I have my HTC desire connected via USB to the laptops for charging, I see a strange Start/ReStart/Boot behavior.

- Both the VAIOs don't boot... they start, reach the VAIO splash screen and then don't go any further. The booting process just halts.
- The Samsungs don't have any problem in booting. They booth just fine with the phone connected.

Has anyone faced this problem? I tried changing the boot order on VAIO, forcing it to boot using the internal hard drive only (thinking maybe its taking HTC Desire as one of the boot drives for some reason) - but it didn't help anyway.

Anyone has any ideas whats happening?

It just depends on how the BIOS has been programmed. As it finds connected USB devices it attempts to find out what they are (for example a keyboard may be useful), but maybe when it encounters a strange device (like the Desire) it stops/locks for whatever reason (doesn't know how to identify it, security reasons maybe -- think key loggers). It's nothing to be bothered about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones