HTC Desire & VAIO problem: Cannot boot with phone connected via USBSupport

Last Updated:

1. aronin

aronin New Member This Topic's Starter

A very strange problem that I have come across. I have 2 Sony VAIO laptops (TZ and Y series) and 2 Samsung NC10s at home. When I have my HTC desire connected via USB to the laptops for charging, I see a strange Start/ReStart/Boot behavior.

- Both the VAIOs don't boot... they start, reach the VAIO splash screen and then don't go any further. The booting process just halts.
    - The Samsungs don't have any problem in booting. They booth just fine with the phone connected.

Has anyone faced this problem? I tried changing the boot order on VAIO, forcing it to boot using the internal hard drive only (thinking maybe its taking HTC Desire as one of the boot drives for some reason) - but it didn't help anyway.

Anyone has any ideas whats happening?

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You need to change the setting on your BIOS to not boot from usb

3. aronin

aronin New Member This Topic's Starter

Did that already and tried the other combinations as well - disable network boot, disable external device boot etc., but the problem still persists.

But like I said, it works fine on my Samsung laptop - just the two VAIOs, they have the problem.

4. martino

martino Active Member

It just depends on how the BIOS has been programmed. As it finds connected USB devices it attempts to find out what they are (for example a keyboard may be useful), but maybe when it encounters a strange device (like the Desire) it stops/locks for whatever reason (doesn't know how to identify it, security reasons maybe -- think key loggers). It's nothing to be bothered about.