• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire: Which takes priority ISP or WiFi

ronaldjp

Lurker
Aug 1, 2010
Hi everyone!

Sitting at home . WiFi in full operation and showing as such on the Desire. If I use my Desire what will it prioritise: My home WiFi connection or the ISP's data connection?

Both have strong signals everywhere in the house and both are equally fast. Important to know as don't want any isp billing surprises!

Thanks in advance for your input

Hi everyone!

Sitting at home . WiFi in full operation and showing as such on the Desire. If I use my Desire what will it prioritise: My home WiFi connection or the ISP's data connection?

Both have strong signals everywhere in the house and both are equally fast. Important to know as don't want any isp billing surprises!

Thanks in advance for your input

By ISP connection I think you mean mobile internet on your phone don't you? (e.g. "Web n' Walk" for T-Mobile, or whatever your equivalent is).

In which case, the answer is definitely your homw WiFi connection will take priority. :cool:

Upvote 0
Home (or any other ) WiFi always takes priority. If you haven't got it already download something like 3g watchdog from the market to keep a close eye on mobile data useage - it's a brilliant bit of kit !
Thanks. Yes it is I just downloaded it and it certainly will help. Thanks so much. The HTC Desire is also a brilliant Piece of Work ( !1?) once I get a handle on it!

Ron

Upvote 0
The easiest way to tell is to look at the Service Provider troughput icon. If you have a G, 3G, E or H and two little arrows flashing by the signal strength icon then there is data being used from you moblie network.
On mine, as soon as you turn on wifi and connect, these icons disapear and all data comes through the Wifi (bar calls and SMS).

To answer you question, Wifi takes priority.

+1 for 3G watchdog - nice widget to see your useage too!

Upvote 0
How do you prioritize which Wifi Hotspot the Desire chooses, I come to work and my phone automatically connects to BT Openzone or FON when I would like it to connect to my router directly, it's driving me nuts!!!

Well, if you don't want it to connect at all to the BT of FON networks, then you could just go into Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wi-Fi Settings, and 'Forget' them.
Alternatively, I think the phone will prioritize in order of most recently connected. So, again, in Wi-Fi Settings you can manually connect to the one you want, and hopefully it should pick that one next time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones