HTC Desire: Which takes priority ISP or WiFi

Last Updated:

1. ronaldjp

ronaldjp New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone!

Sitting at home . WiFi in full operation and showing as such on the Desire. If I use my Desire what will it prioritise: My home WiFi connection or the ISP's data connection?

Both have strong signals everywhere in the house and both are equally fast. Important to know as don't want any isp billing surprises!

Thanks in advance for your input

Advertisement
  2. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member

By ISP connection I think you mean mobile internet on your phone don't you? (e.g. "Web n' Walk" for T-Mobile, or whatever your equivalent is).

In which case, the answer is definitely your homw WiFi connection will take priority. :cool:

3. hussar10a

hussar10a Active Member

Home (or any other ) WiFi always takes priority. If you haven't got it already download something like 3g watchdog from the market to keep a close eye on mobile data useage - it's a brilliant bit of kit !

4. ronaldjp

Yes sorry I did mean mobile internet... !
    Thanks for your input
    Ron

5. ronaldjp

Thanks. Yes it is I just downloaded it and it certainly will help. Thanks so much. The HTC Desire is also a brilliant Piece of Work ( !1?) once I get a handle on it!

Ron

6. bozzer

bozzer Active Member

The easiest way to tell is to look at the Service Provider troughput icon. If you have a G, 3G, E or H and two little arrows flashing by the signal strength icon then there is data being used from you moblie network.
    On mine, as soon as you turn on wifi and connect, these icons disapear and all data comes through the Wifi (bar calls and SMS).

To answer you question, Wifi takes priority.

+1 for 3G watchdog - nice widget to see your useage too!

7. doobah

doobah New Member

How do you prioritize which Wifi Hotspot the Desire chooses, I come to work and my phone automatically connects to BT Openzone or FON when I would like it to connect to my router directly, it's driving me nuts!!!

8. SiHa

SiHa Well-Known Member

Well, if you don't want it to connect at all to the BT of FON networks, then you could just go into Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wi-Fi Settings, and 'Forget' them.
    Alternatively, I think the phone will prioritize in order of most recently connected. So, again, in Wi-Fi Settings you can manually connect to the one you want, and hopefully it should pick that one next time.