• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Desire will not root

mrtrev

Lurker
Aug 21, 2010
Hi everyone, I've been trying to root my old HTC Desire running Froyo 2.2 and I'm getting nowhere fast.

My HTC Desire (on Orange) in USB debugging mode when loaded into HBOOT, Windows 7 will not recognise the phone in device manager, so I can't update any drivers. My HTC does however recognise when the USB cable is plugged in as it says HBOOT USB PLUG. So I'm a bit buggered at this point.

Here's what HBOOT tells me:

bravo pvt1 ship s-on
hboot-0.93.0001

I'm missing something really obvious? Can someone shed some light, cos I'm about ready to chuck the bloody thing at the wall. Apologies if this is a bit vague, I will get more info if needed.

Don't throw the phone, because the problem is the computer. ;)

However, there is a confusion here: the phone cannot be in USB debugging mode and also in HBOOT. USB debugging is something you enable when running Android, and when you are in the HBOOT you are not running Android, you are in the bootloader.

It would be good if you could tell us what method you are trying to use to root? We have guides for both Unrevoked and Revolutionary, both linked from the Desire All Things Root Guide sticky post in this forum, and both start with telling you how to load the relevant drivers. But it's not clear to me whether what you need to do is connect in USB debugging mode (i.e. when booted up) or whether you want to install hboot drivers, because I don't know quite which method you are trying to use.

If you are trying to use the official HTC bootloader unlock, don't: the methods we have guides for here give you more options than that will (if you use the official method you cannot go S-Off subsequently).

Upvote 0
Hi Hadron,

Yes you're quite right. Last post was rage fueled, so I wasn't thinking too straight. I'm in debugging whilst in Android, and in HBOOT when Unrevoked 3 reboots my phone. Since my first post I've managed to get the Android 1.0 driver installed and followed the FAQ for Unrevoked.

However, even though things appear to be working, when Rev3 reboots the phone into HBOOT, it tells me it's waiting for HBOOT. At this point should I be leaving it to do its stuff? Or should I press power to take things to the next screen? Either way nothing seems to be happening. I'm beginning to think my wifes laptop is to blame.

Either way, I hope this has filled in the blanks. If not, I will provide more info if needed. Some of these brilliant FAQ's aren't overly helpful sometimes when the excrement hits the fan.

Thanks for getting back to me on this Hadron, many thanks.

Upvote 0
Precisely what version of Android are you running? I know it's 2.2, but 2.2.what, because Unrevoked didn't work with the very latest Froyos (though I doubt that's your problem, because in that case I'd expect it to have problems when running Android rather than detecting hboot).

The problem with the FAQ threads is that they only include problems that have been previously met. And as I don't use Windows for this stuff I've no experience of dealing with driver problems. Have you tried different USB ports - these things are sometimes finnicky?

I'd be tempted to try Revolutionary, to be honest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones