• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire won't load OS, vibrates seven times

Gamuza469

Lurker
Aug 10, 2014
Hello, first timer here.

I had an incident a couple months ago, I was taking a flight and when I passed through the metal detector I forgot I had my phone in my pocket. When I tried to use it it had shut down. Then when I turned it on it showed the HTC logo, vibrated seven times (of death) and got stuck there. It never entered the OS.

I tried to access the SD card contents. Fine, no damage at all. Tried to access Fastboot and it's ok too but no chance to load the OS.

Recovery gets the same 7 vibrations, though.

My plan would be flashing a stock/custom ROM on it to see if I can get it working. As the only way to use the phone is Fastboot I was thinking if something could be done from there like, using ADB tools which I'm trying to get them installed now. I've read several threads, all of them which concluded it may be a hardware issue but I still want to give it a go.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to say that it sounds like the only way you will be able to get this sorted would be to take it in and get it repaired, as it is a hardware problem.

The quote below refers to a Desire HD, but it's about 7 vibrations, so the fact that we are talking about a Desire would make no difference.

i did quite a bit of searching on this awhile back,and unfortunately did not find any resolutions. from what i can gather,its a hardware failure that is not fixable with any software flashing or trickery. :(

the couple referecnces ive found that had the phone repaired by htc, pointed to a faulty motherboard,as mentioned above.

i wish i had some better news for you... but looks like your best bet is to send it into htc to be fixed. or if your handy with small electronic repair,you could find a working one with a damaged screen or case and make a good one from the two :)

Upvote 0
Actually, a couple of posts further down the same thread I quoted above, someone else with a Desire gave the following information to someone else with this issue on that phone:

Overheating is a common cause of this fault (though the fault is not common). In the case of the bravo it's usually a hardware fault, particularly in some early hardware revisions of that handset, and in my experience/observation a replacement motherboard is the only solution.

Reactions: Gamuza469
Upvote 0
Hi and thanks for replying!

Yeah, I've seen those post and tried everything I saw in those and several other places. Unfortunately local support for HTC is nonexistant here so unless I can send it overseas to Taiwan (?) I've to say this phone is a goner indeed xD

I tried to flash a recovery image with fastboot, first six times ended with write failure, after that I got it written several times but it didn't load CWM at all. Next step was to install 2.3 RUU but it's hanging with the RADIO_V2 - Fail-PU problem of death.

I'll keep trying until I (eventually) give up. However that faint burnt smell tells me to not even bother with it :D

Thanks again!

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones