• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire works with one SIM card but not another

saomer

Lurker
Dec 27, 2011
Okay so I have an unlocked HTC desire. Have been using it for nearly a year now with an O2 Pay and Go simcard.

However, this last week I noticed it started to have problems. I have noticed that a lot of the time I cannot send or receive texts, cannot make or receive calls and cannot not even check my ballance. Basically, it is as if there is no signal, despite diplaying full signal bars. It does occasionally work though.

So I tried my SIM in another phone and it works fine. So it must be the phone right?
Well I tried a vodaphone SIM in the Desire, and that also seemed to work phone. So it can't be the phone?
I then tried my O2 SIM again in the phone, and guess what, it does not work!

Not sure why this is...Any suggestions anyone has is much appreciated. Is it the SIM or phone....? Arrrrgghhh! Thankyou!!

You have cleaned the SIM's gold contacts?

See, in the other phone the phone's contacts could be slightly different placed on SIM's contacts.

Harry

Thanks very much for the reply Harry. I tried cleaning the contacts but no help.

However, I think I may have now solved the problem. I changed the network from GSM/WDSMA Auto to just GSM only and it seems to have solved the problem. So do you reckon this means where I am there is a problem with the O2 3G network?

Will try putting it back to Auto when I go to another area and see if the problem still happens. Very strange that it has only decided to play up now after a year though...

Upvote 0
Glad you solved your issue :)

To the problem of SIM with 3G:
I heard of very old T-Mobile SIM's (say ten years old) which had problems with 3G in new smartphones.
T-Mobile changes such old SIM's for free.

But you said your SIM did good before, so that shouldn't be such a similar problem.

But you could try to change the SIM with O2.

Harry

Reactions: saomer
Upvote 0
Glad you solved your issue :)

To the problem of SIM with 3G:
I heard of very old T-Mobile SIM's (say ten years old) which had problems with 3G in new smartphones.
T-Mobile changes such old SIM's for free.

But you said your SIM did good before, so that shouldn't be such a similar problem.

But you could try to change the SIM with O2.

Harry

Thanks for your help, will try swapping the SIM and see what happens.

Spoke to an online customer service person with O2 and they were pretty useless. He just said that you cannot get WCDMA with O2...don't think he new what he was talking about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones