• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Z (G2) 2.2.1

Hi all,

I am not very technical and my knowledge of updates and common bugs is lacking so I was wondering if I could get some help.

I am from the UK. My HTC Desire Z (G2 in the US) received an update on xmas day. Below is some current phone info:

Android Version: 2.2.1
Software Number: 1.72.405.2

I have experienced some slow down and crashing of apps but mainly the following problem...

When receiving text messages, around 50% of the time, my phone does not tell me I have a new message unless I physically go into my messages folder.

On other instances if I have received a message, going into the messages folder does not delete the message icon from the top notifications bar. I then have to physically drag down the notifications bar and select to read the message again from here in order to get rid of the message icon.

Does any know any fixes?
Or am I able to revert back to before this update was installed?

Thanks for any help that anyone may be able to provide.

Hi there, got the exact same phone and problem. The text message won't make a notification unless the person texts twice, or i have to go in my inbox to check, annoying since the update.

Trying to see if its possible to restore the phone to its default state since this update seems to have a bug. :(

Upvote 0
I'm not experiencing all your problems. But I have had the problem of when reading a SMS from the messages folder, the notification stays int he notification bar. This isnt ALL the time. But it's happened enough to make me realise.
I'm not experiencing any issues with crashing apps.
I did have a problem yesterday where I received two texts in the evening around 10pm, and one of them was sent at 5pm. I assumed it was late being delayed but maybe the 5pm one was sat there unread and it was only the 10pm sms from someone else that prompted me to look in the folder. I assumed it was a problem with O2 delaying the text

Upvote 0
dipset + ddtftw: I have had all of those issues (Dispet, you probably described the issue in a more concise way than me)

I have had lots of issues with crashing apps/force close issues.
I have also had numerous instances where my phone becomes unresponsive to touch functionality, resulting in me having to put the phone back into standby and just let it chill out for a bit before I go back to it.

If there is any way of restoring to before this update and anyone knows how to go about it, then that would be much appreciated.

Or - does anyone know of if HTC/Android are planning on releasing a bug fix update for this?

Upvote 0
I have the EXACT same problems and am looking for a solution.
Anyone who knows to solve this problem, PLEASE help..!

Hi all,

I am not very technical and my knowledge of updates and common bugs is lacking so I was wondering if I could get some help.

I am from the UK. My HTC Desire Z (G2 in the US) received an update on xmas day. Below is some current phone info:

Android Version: 2.2.1
Software Number: 1.72.405.2

I have experienced some slow down and crashing of apps but mainly the following problem...

When receiving text messages, around 50% of the time, my phone does not tell me I have a new message unless I physically go into my messages folder.

On other instances if I have received a message, going into the messages folder does not delete the message icon from the top notifications bar. I then have to physically drag down the notifications bar and select to read the message again from here in order to get rid of the message icon.

Does any know any fixes?
Or am I able to revert back to before this update was installed?

Thanks for any help that anyone may be able to provide.

Upvote 0
I have experienced all of the same issues as you regarding the 'new text' envelope remaining in the status bar. It also does not always alert me to new texts.

I can go one better though; It appears that Sense for Facebook has mapped a contact to the wrong thing, as whereas i used to get texts from my network TMobile, and my bank HSBC, they now appear to come from some random contact on my Facebook!!!!

I have just filled out a complaint form/support email on HTC's main website HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs.

Upvote 0
I can go one better though; It appears that Sense for Facebook has mapped a contact to the wrong thing, as whereas i used to get texts from my network TMobile, and my bank HSBC, they now appear to come from some random contact on my Facebook!!!!

I have just filled out a complaint form/support email on HTC's main website HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs.

this also happened to me with a text from google, i think it was after a reboot it was showing as a contacts name, but im not exactly sure where they got the details from, as it was just a google contact and I only had an a gmail address for him in details. I had deleted the text, if I get another I shall log a fault too.

Upvote 0
Same issue here.

I have:

• New SMS messages not resulting in a notification
  • Act of reading a new message not removing its associated notification
  • Messages from my network operator now appearing to come from a real-life human contact

Contacted HTC but I don't expect a response...

Has anyone tried clearing their inbox? That could help but I don't really want to lose all my old messages!

Upvote 0
God i'm so happy someone posted this! I have the same phone and the exact same problems with textmessages and it's really annoying! You pay so much for a phone and then it's full of these stupid bugs. That's not right.
So i send an email to HTC explaining this problem and they told me that it was a software mistake and that i had to reset my phone to default. I did that and it didnt help at all. It's just a bug in their software and i hope they will admit and fix it soon

Upvote 0
Can i ask you guys something else?
My phone is in dutch so i dont know how it will be called on your phones but i have an application called something like: Stockmarket or something. To check your stocks. Does anyone know how you can delete that? It was standard on the phone and i cant delete it. But when you look at the permissions, i mean seriously, it can read messages and everything. I dont trust it and i want to get rid of it. Does anyone know how? Maybe by connecting your phone to the computer?

Thx a lot

Upvote 0
To check your stocks. Does anyone know how you can delete that?

You can't uninstall/delete Stocks without root access as it's a system app.

when you look at the permissions, i mean seriously, it can read messages and everything.
That's probably simply related to how it updates itself. As it's an official HTC app that's found on all their devices I'm sure any security issues would have come to light by now.

Upvote 0
I have the same sort of issues that seem to have started after the upgrade to 2.2.1. These are:

Notification of a text message associated with one contact but all showing as read. All attempts to remove it including suggestions in this thread haven't worked

Other messages being received with no notification

If I compose a new text I can send it ok. If I save to drafts it's also ok. Try to open the draft and I get an error message about the directory being missing and the app crashes. The display goes weierd then but comes back on.

I have also had a few other times where the display flashes for a moment and none of this was happening before the upgrade. I have only had the phone a week and so far there are many aspects that are good. The bad point is the speaker volume and quality as it's too quiet and a thin sound by comparison to previous phones. The battery life is also very bad as some days I am getting low battery by early evening.

Upvote 0
Just as an update I had a look and found a program that backs up all data or apps either to the SD card or to an on-line service. The data backup includes options to include contacts and SMS messages. It's called Mybackup Pro and first impressions are good. I am surprised though that HTC didn't include something like this as part of the phone's software as I mistakenly thought HTC Sync was capable of the important job of backing up my data.

The problem of the message alert not working for some sms and the false message reporting showing until two messages are received from the same person is still ongoing but thankfully so far I have not lost my messages like others reporting in this thread. I am disappointed in HTC for allowing an update with such major consequences to be released knowing they don't have a backup program installed by default and they should be rectifying this problem as quickly as possible.

Upvote 0
As was said before, kinda glad other people are having these problems. Updated a couple of days ago, and since then i'm having exact same problems with lack of notifications re text messages. Spent 40 mins on phone to t-mobile tech support, took phone back to factory settings, but problems are still there. I haven't lost a load of sms messages, but did notice it's lost a message i sent in a thread. Am also having issues with gmail not downloading messages - i had to refresh the app to get new mail. HAs anyone else had that problem?

Upvote 0
Well it finally happened to me......All my 1300 + text messages on my Desire Z have gone! I thought at least I have the Mybackup Pro as all messages had stated "backup successful" Wrong....I have an error message stating restore failed. I have e-mailed Redware tonight as I can see some of my texts in view mode reading them from the SD but with no restore I am not sure if only a few are there or if any can be retrieved.

I did phone HTC in the week because I was fed up with the problem of missed notifications and they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix. A problem such as this should be resolved quickly and I feel let down, angry, and fed up with this approach. I rely on my SMS for notifications from security equipment and the loss of my data is nothing short of a disaster. I have tonight felt my confidence in the phone fall drastically and will be getting my old Nokia out of the draw as it least that did not lose my data

Upvote 0
After speaking to HTC and e-mailing the Tech Support for MyBackupPro I decided to try taking the battery out of the phone. This had been avoided before because we knew the original file was still in the phone and this may have lost it forever. I found out last night however that although the MyBackup Pro backup file would not restore I could still view it so I knew I could at least see my messages and with that file on the SD card and backed up to my computer I was not risking much.

When I went to power down I saw an option to close all apps and restart so tried that first. When back up and running there were my new messages rather than just the number indicator and blank screen. Good start so I deleted these as they were not important and tried running the MyBackup Pro restore again and this time it worked and all my messages, 1347 of them, are back.

Until HTC get a fix for this problem I will not feel comfortable about relying on this phone to store my data as I am sure this will happen again going by others reported experiences. In the meantime if you don

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones