• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] HTC Dev Unlock Help

Thewraith420

Android Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2012
Hi guys, i'm new to the evo 3d but not to android. i'm trying to unlock my bootloader via htc dev and everything seems to go fine untill step 13. no prompt of any type comes up on the phone. i'm running the latest ota 2.95 and have hboot 1.58. in the command line it says

sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)... OKAY
writing 'unlocktoken'... INFOunlock token check successfully
OKAY

not sure where to go from here. i've tried searching around the last 2 days but only met dead ends. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Reactions: mtbierkan
make sure youre not on usb 3.0,or using a hub. make sure nothing is running that will interfere with phone comunication- htc sync,easy tether,pda net,even itunes. try different usb cables and ports, in a worse case,try a different PC entirely,windows 7 or older, 32bit,seems to be a lil more reliable.

failing all that,a couple of times weve seen folks with similar unexplainable issues,the fix as been to RUU back to 100% stock and start fresh :)

Upvote 0
make sure youre not on usb 3.0,or using a hub. make sure nothing is running that will interfere with phone comunication- htc sync,easy tether,pda net,even itunes. try different usb cables and ports, in a worse case,try a different PC entirely,windows 7 or older, 32bit,seems to be a lil more reliable.

failing all that,a couple of times weve seen folks with similar unexplainable issues,the fix as been to RUU back to 100% stock and start fresh :)

It's not on usb 3.0, HTC sync is uninstalled. Nothing running on pc except the Firefox Window I was reading the guide from. Unfortunately I've only got one data usb cord but all my adb/fastboot commands get threw. I've been trying to use the 2.89 ruu exe but it fails. (error 140 bootloader version) and so far the PG86IMG.exe for 2.89 was detected and checked but doesn't prompt me to update.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I'm having the same exact bootloader unlock problem on the same phone and the same ota 2.95 and hboot 1.58.with the same results.i have tried to ruu to stock before and after updating to 2.95,with every ruu i could find and they all error.it's like the phone won't install anything unless it's from sprint.please help this is day 3 for me.i'm starting to go cross-eyed!:thinking:

Upvote 0
This is tricky. I haven't seen an RUU yet for 2.95. We should be able to run the 2.89 RUU if we can lower the mainver of the phone but unfortunately you have to be unlocked to do that :/ so it's kind of a catch 22...

Other than what Scotty has suggested, I don't really have anything else to add. Different cables, different pc, disable interfering software... Not much else to do unfortunately :(

Only other thing I could think to try is to re-download the unlock token in case it got corrupted somehow, or send your identifier token again and have them send you another unlock token in case it was corrupted during the upload on their end.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same exact bootloader unlock problem on the same phone and the same ota 2.95 and hboot 1.58.with the same results.i have tried to ruu to stock before and after updating to 2.95,with every ruu i could find and they all error.it's like the phone won't install anything unless it's from sprint.please help this is day 3 for me.i'm starting to go cross-eyed!:thinking:

At least it seems I'm not alone in this battle. If you figure anything out please post it here.

Upvote 0
you might also try a factory reset from recovery.

linux may well solve your prollem. windows is susceptable to driver issues,and to intrerance from other programs. ive seen quite a few cases where everything looked 100% correct,yet didnt work... and those folks zipped right thru it on a different PC.

my best guess something running that youll never actually figure out the culprit... or possibly antivirus/spyware fidning software.

Upvote 0
Well I just discovered I can downgrade my hboot to to 1.4 but still can't run a ruu because my main version is still 2.95. The htcdev commands to retreive the unlock token and flash the bin do not work on 1.4 hboot. So it still gets me nowhere

If you're willing to do what it takes to downgrade hboot,you don't need HTC Dev unlock.. you can just run revolutionary ;)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
If you are changing hboots, then you are s-off already? No need to unlock the bootloader ever. If you are needing fastboot commands, just use a juopunutbear patched hboot.

For example if your phone is only booting on 1.58.00.00, then use the juopunutbear 1.58.5858 patched hboot. It will give you fastboot commands and same for the 1.50.5050 patched hboot when you downgrade to use jellybean roms.

Upvote 0
If you are changing hboots, then you are s-off already? No need to unlock the bootloader ever. If you are needing fastboot commands, just use a juopunutbear patched hboot.

For example if your phone is only booting on 1.58.00.00, then use the juopunutbear 1.58.5858 patched hboot. It will give you fastboot commands and same for the 1.50.5050 patched hboot when you downgrade to use jellybean roms.

I'm not s-off yet though. I had to pull the battery while updating bootloader at just the right time to brick then use a bootable DVD tool to downgrade/unbrick

Upvote 0
I'm not s-off yet though. I had to pull the battery while updating bootloader at just the right time to brick then use a bootable DVD tool to downgrade/unbrick

part of that process is changing your main version so that an ruu with 1.4 will flash afterward. i assume the temp root failed so you could not do that? were you following unknownforce's guide?

just thinking out loud(i.e. dont try it ;)) i wonder what would happen if you bricked,thus putting the processor into QHUSB_DLOAD mode,then ran control bear. the jpbear tool is not bricking the device to s off,but is using the same processor download mode to change the secureflag...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones