HTC Email Storage ProbelmSupport

Last Updated:

1. pingram3541

pingram3541 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I have this "Low Space" prompt telling me my phone storage is getting low. When I go to manage applications everything is pretty low and I uninstalled about a dozen useless apps, however the HTC Mail client is showing that it's using 90mb of space. I've checked the 2 IMAP accounts and the only folders with any content is the inbox, each with about a dozen messages (set to 7 days) and (unlimited size) but seriously they only total about 200k in all. I can't seem to figure out where this extra space is being used. I've rebooted the phone to no avail.

I also have Task Manager, also called Terminator, installed which shows available memory 56mb and the low threshold being 16mb and says I am fine. (maybe this is running memory and not the same memory applications are installed in and not what the "Low Space" warning is referring to)

So how can I purge this data without deleting my mail accounts and having to set everything up again. It now went up from 90mb to 105mb while writing this thread and NO NEW MAIL has been received. Also, just to recap, I checked all other folders for both accounts, trash, sent, etc. and they are all empty. None of my messages have attachments more than a few kb in size.

Looking at my SD card, In the .Mail folder, I have about 314mb of tokenxxxxxxxxxxxxx files, staggered between files of 0bytes and files of 6.14mb, totalling over a hundred files. Even though these are on my SD, what is this for? I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with my HTC Mail's ROM usage but then again, maybe it does. How do I lean this sucker up?

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. pingram3541

For now I just deleted both my hotmail (Live) account and my work IMAP account. Then checked in "manage applications" and it still showed the 100+mb data usage, so I purged it. I then check my SD card and the .Mail folder was still full of files, so I deleted them too. The "Low Space" indicator went away and my phone is now running pretty fast.

I then recreated only my work IMAP account and it now says it's using 1.96mb of space. I'll give it a few days to see if this was the fix. I sure hope it's not some sort of bug that keeps hogging up space over time.

Also, it seems very poorly thought out that the data is left behind even after deleting the accounts. Additionally, you can't tell the mail app NOT to sync other mail folders like trash, sent, drafts, etc. This could be the problem even though I did not refresh the sent folder which would have had a lot of emails and it showed as being empty.

Time will tell.

3. pingram3541

Ran today still with only my work IMAP configured, received and deleted several emails, still only keeping last 7 days as before with unlimited size setting. Some of the messages had voicemail .wav file attachments of which is "previewed" and then deleted.

Current data usage when checking "manage applications" Mail:

2.33mb Data Storage
    316kb Cache

Hmmm, maybe something was up with my hotmail account?

4. pingram3541

Ok, so far this has been working fine now. I haven't added my hotmail/live account back in and maybe that had something to do with it even though I keep that inbox pretty lean I can do without it on my phone.

5. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I agree that it is probably the hotmail account that caused the issue.

6. nicnac81

nicnac81 Member

Im having this problem with my hotmail too :(

How did you delete the data stored? i cant figure out as its not stored in the cashe its actually stored as data and i want to free it up. hopefully without having to factory reset!

7. lssong99

lssong99 New Member

I don't think it's hotmail's problem. I am using my company Exchange mail and has EXACTLY problem! Luckly for me I have only 8.5Mg non-deletable HTC mail data and I changed my email retention to 3 days (before it's all since I delete mail from server side with PC Outook).

8. cactusbek

cactusbek New Member

I am having the same MAIL folder storage problem. I can delete the files by connecting to my computer and deleting all the files in MAIL, but a week later, it's full again. I'm getting a little frustrated because I keep getting the "Phone storage space is low" message and I have a 32GB SD card!

Does anyone know a fix -- or whether I have some kind of virus?

9. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

The size of the SD card is irrelevant to the amount of phone storage available. The error message refers strictly to internal storage. Any number of things could be using your internal storage. It seems the most commonly mentioned ones are lots of sms messages and the amount of apps installed. I'd first look to your sms messages to see if you've got some you can delete.
    Also, if you haven't cleared the cache on your apps you should do that.

10. jeff_a65

jeff_a65 New Member

I have a rooted Eris running the stock OTA 2.1 update. I had the same problem this morning with my Verizon email and another email account. I had no emails in either account or any of the folders but the app manager was showing 25 mb of data for my mail. After I deleted one email account, it went up to 26 mb. I used Titanium Backup to delete the data but had to re-enter my Verizon account information. I have no idea what the problem is or what this large amount of data could be, but I would also like a way to delete it without having to delete my email account when the file size gets too large.

11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I would try using the K-9 Mail application (free) in the market and see if that improves things.