• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Eris is stuck on Black screen with 4 triangles and "HTC" in middle!!!!

alright i have downloaded all the zip files that post said to & i have read & re-read that post many times. i am finding it a bit confusing or maybe over whelming or something that makes it where i am confused. please help.

sorry for the delayed response,foxy.

your next steps will be to unlock the htcdev hboot,and then install a custom recovery.

you can download the recovery image from here:
https://sites.google.com/site/scary...-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img?attredirects=0

use that in the following directions. these are my "universal" directions,but they should help you get the hboot unlocked,and recovery installed:

i sometimes refer folks to my rezound guide in other forums,so i decided to make a slightly more "universal" version that i could replicate in other forums,so everyone has a dedicated guide,and there are not accidents with accidental application of rezound specific details or files. devices i am familiar with i will try and tweak and add device specific recovery downloads/info. whatever device youre working on,please feel free to post in this thread,i will be happy to assist you :)

before we get started,however,be aware that htcdev does have its limitations. it can be used if you only wish to add root access to delete bloat and run a few root requiring apps,but IMO it is best used as a "steppig stone" to get root for downgrade,or for other exploits to run. if s-off is availble on any "downgradeable to" firmware,i do highly recomend to try and achieve that goal if you wish to activly flash roms. im happy to help with this,as well,if needed. :)

the basic steps will be:
1)unlock with htcdev
2)temporarily or permanently flash a recovery
3)flash root files

before you start,go ahead and download these files:
-mini-adb.zip: mini-adb.zip
-the latest custom recovery image of your choice, for your device(post if you need help finding one)
-superuser files: for froyo use superuser 3.07 (found on revolutionary public wiki). for GB or ICS,use the latest superSU from this thread on xda (the download link is where is says: CWM installable ZIP: CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip )
-go to HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader and register an account

1)unlock with htcdev
first thing you need is drivers for adb to see your phone. if you have htc sync installed,you should allready have drivers. if not,you can install htc sync,or install these modified htc drivers from revolutionary

most guides simply say "follow the directions to unlock with htcdev" but im gonna go thru it with ya :) the mini-adb.zip file is all the files that htcdev is telling you to download and put into a folder,so allready this should be a lil easier ;)

1)prepair ADB
-unzip your mini-adb.zip file. this is native funtionality in windows 7. you otherwise may need a utility such as "7-zip" to extract,or unzip it. place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive on your PC(sorry, you mac guys will need to develop this for yourself,i dont have a mac). root means the top level,not inside any folders. so just copy and paste,or drag and drop the folder onto C with everything else that is there. you may want to rename it to "mini-adb_devicename" since youll be putting some device specific files in here. (directions from here forward will assume this folder to be named "mini-adb_vigor",as an example)
-open a command window. on windows 7,click the start bubble in the lower left and type "command" in the search box. xp i believe is similar or the same. doing this should open a small black command window.
-change to your mini-adb_vigor directory. type the following at the prompt in your cmd window:

cd c:\mini-adb_vigor

your command promt should change to "c:mini-adb_vigor>" provided you: 1)unzipped the miniadb zip 2)put the folder on your c drive 3)entered the name of the folder correctly ("mini-adb_vigor" in this case)

-now make sure usb debugging is checked in settings/apps/development,and plug your phone into your PC with a usb cable
-make sure your phone is being recognized- type:

adb devices

if your drivers are installed correctly,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

2)unlock using htcdev
-go to HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader and sign in to your account. chose your device from the "select your device bar"(or "other supported devices" if its not listed) and click the green "begin unlock bootloader" button underneath.
-click yes to procede,then read the warnings before checking the boxes and clicking yes to continue,as they are basically explaining that your warranty is now void,and any repairs that your phone needs that may have been a result of unlocking your bootloader and messing with your phones operating system may no longer be covered under mfgr warranty

*check your hboot screen. if you allready have an htc compatible hboot, then skip ahead to the next step,you dont need this.if you have a pink **locked** at the top of the hboot screen,then it is compatible with htcdev. if you dont have a compatible hboot,then download the RUU for the new hboot. right click it,and run as administrator. plug in your phone when prompted to. it will ugrade your hboot to the htcdev unlock compatible version.

-steps 1-4 are describing how to get your phone into bootloader mode and connect it to your PC,wich we have done above. ignore these steps and simply type in your cmd window:

adb reboot bootloader

it may take several seconds,but this command should boot your phone into the "fastboot" screen wich is white with a bunch of colored writing. once this happens,make sure your phone is still being seen in fastboot. type:

fastboot devices

again,this should return your phones serial number.

-click the green procede to step 5 bubble.
-steps 5-7 are telling you how to find the files and utilities inside your mini-adb folder. you have them,so ignore steps 5-7.
-click the green procede to step 8 bubble.
-heres where steps are important,steps 8-10 are telling you how to get your unlock token,and send it to htc. its phone specific(so they prolly know your serial number,meid,etc) so no,you cant use your buddys unlock token and not have htc know that youve unlocked your bootloader. ;) copy this line either from below,or from step 8,and paste it into the prompt in your cmd window. you have to right click to paste in cmd,you cannot control/v :

fastboot oem get_identifier_token

-after yuo hit enter,you will get a bunch of letters that are your identifier token. not much i can say,other than follow the directions in steps 9 and 10 to copy and submit your identifier token to HTC. make sure you get the characters as shown in the pic,with no extra lines or letters. note that you can also hit the "enter" key on your PC to copy,as well as right clicking.
-click the green submit button. wait patiently for an email containing your unlock code. (dont worry,it should come pretty fast :p )
-save the unlock_code.bin that htc sends you directly to your mini-adb folder(if your PC automatically downloads somewhere else,no biggie. just move the unlock code to mini-adb folder)
-click the link in your email to get the rest of the unlock instructions
-step 12 is where them magic happens :D copy from below,or from htc dev:

fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

-youll see the purdy screen pictured in step 13. use the vol rocker to chose "yes unlock bootloader" and select it with the power button. your phone will reboot,performaing a factory data reset in the process. your data is gone,sorry :( this boot may take a bit longer than they normally do,dont freak out this is normal

as you can see,once the adb files are put in one place to download,its not hard to use,and the commands are pretty simple. below is what you will see in your command window,the red are my inputs.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:UsersScott>[COLOR="Red"]cd c:\mini-adb_vigor[/COLOR]

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
HTxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]fastboot oem get_identifier_token[/COLOR]
                              ... INFO
INFO< Please cut following message >
INFO<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
INFO2ADC7C0C0F1BAF92074BAE9B0035CB6A
INFO021839BFA7465CD0788664688DCCFDEA
INFO33A2FD2C96C7308DD3C57A517DBA8E14
INFO8048F98A9FEA06B8F2AD05D4D3497CFE
INFO6FCCC1DC4E31E0C6F54CEA18D9A80C82
INFO27C33E209D472E6C11753E9D7BCBCE6D
INFO90D9F226E827B6C26165A029B6F7DFF2
INFO63E382B4C82F9F6D866C01B9823ED1BC
INFO0EEFA859327E6B5AC4C24533C9DFA7AF
INFODBD70D55E4666B4B41828B76FFBD010C
INFO1B916E350EFF199EA5B096FF3337FE19
INFO40E6CA9E7F1DD5B33D8D4780DD775289
INFO953404686AEC4C3CB6F1BBB9DC69BA13
INFO8738C00DAFF280ECF02D0C7A66E13855
INFO1D756616732FF47915EAD551A6933E08
INFO10C541C7RD02C14991E83CC49FCA4B92
INFO<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>
OKAY [  0.069s]
finished. total time: 0.070s

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin[/COLOR]
  sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)... OKAY [  0.143s]
         writing 'unlocktoken'... INFOunlock token check successfully
OKAY [  0.011s]
finished. total time: 0.156s

c:mini-adb_vigor>

2)flash a recovery
if you want to run stock,do not permanently install your recovery. keeping the stock recovery on the phone will ensure that you recieve OTAs without a hitch,wich i know is important to alot of users. YES,the OTA will break root. its no big deal. one good thing about htcdev is that you will always be able to reroot after,simply by following steps 2 and 3 again to launch recovery,flash superser.

once youve either skipped past all the setup,or have re-set up and are ready to root,chose either of the following options to either permantly or termporarily install a recovery:

1)temporary recovery:
-move the recovery image file you downloaded above and place it into the mini-adb folder.
-put the superuser zip file onto your phones sd card
-enable usb debugging once again,as above. open a cmd window,if its not still open from unlocking.
-if you had to re-open a cmd window,dont forget to change back to your mini-adb directory:

-make sure youre connected by typing:

adb devices

-should return serial number
-check the md5 of your recovery image:

md5sums <recoveryname>.img

**make sure the resulting md5 matches the one that is listed for the image that you downloaded. ** (if no md5 is listed,post in the thread,i can download and compare my md5 to yours.this is not as good as getting an md5 from the one who linked the file,but its better than nothing)

-boot to bootloader:

adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity:

fastboot devices

-temporarily launch your recovery to phone memory:

fastboot boot <recoveryname>.img

-youll see a (really fast) green status bar on the top right as your PC sends the recovery to your phone. youll then see the HTC splash screen,then your recovery.

in your command window you will see(red are my inputs):
Code:

C:UsersScott>[COLOR="Red"]cd c:\mini-adb_vigor[/COLOR]

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="Red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]md5sums recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img[/COLOR]

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[c:mini-adb_vigor]
recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img                 915d5e3cb662076f36f3d6e54759e951

HTxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img[/COLOR]
        downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [  1.518s]
                       booting... OKAY [  0.005s]
finished. total time: 1.523s
2)permanently install your recovery
-move the image file you downloaded above and place it into the mini-adb folder.
-enable usb debugging once again,as above. open a cmd window,if its not still open from unlocking.
-if you had to re-open a cmd window,dont forget to change back to your mini-adb directory:

-make sure youre connected by typing:

adb devices

-check the md5 of your recovery image:

md5sums <recoveryname>.img

**make sure the resulting md5 matches the one that is listed for the image that you downloaded. ** (if no md5 is listed,post in the thread,i can download and compare my md5 to yours.this is not as good as getting an md5 from the one who linked the file,but its better than nothing)

-boot to bootloader:

adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity:

fastboot devices

-permanently flash your recovery to phones recovery partition:

fastboot flash recovery <recoveryname>.img

-youll see a (really fast) green status bar on the top right as your PC sends the recovery to your phone,then a (really,really fast) red bar as it flashes it. amon ra is now permanently on your phone when you need it. be aware that you can no longer accept OTAs,unless you reinstall the stock recovery at some point before the next OTAs are pushed.
-to get to recovery,push the power button to select hboot. once in hboot wait for the green writing to flash and disapear,then select recovery.

*note that you can still launch recovery by using the command from scenario 1 above.
-youll then see the HTC splash screen,then your recovery.

and the code(again,red my inputs):
Code:

C:UsersScott>[COLOR="red"]cd c:\mini-adb_vigor[/COLOR]

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]md5sums recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img[/COLOR]

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[c:mini-adb_vigor]
recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img                 915d5e3cb662076f36f3d6e54759e951

HTxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:mini-adb_vigor>[COLOR="red"]fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img[/COLOR]
  sending 'recovery' (7074 KB)... OKAY [  1.659s]
            writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  5.179s]
finished. total time: 6.840s
3)flash superuser root files*
there is not much to explain with this one. if booted to recovery from above,use the recovery menu on your phone to:
-make a backup of your stock,unrooted rom. completely optional,but a very good idea,IMO.
-wipe cache
-wipe dalvik cache
-install zip from sd card(chose your superuser file)
-reboot

*congratulations,youre rooted :D
if your device has procedures to s-off,or procedures to downgrade to more exploitable firmware,you can procede with that now :)

if youre considering leaving htcdev unlock,read this if you want to flash roms: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/587430-s-want-flash-roms-read.html

s-off is better,and worth whatever extra efforts to achieve if available.

*hope it helps,holler if you have questions :)

donate to my device fund :)

once you have a recovery installed,we can proceded with flashing the other files. :)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
ok i am unlocked, i also put the superuser 3.07 on sd card. i also need help to find a custom rom, can you please help point me to where to find one. thanks

it is not yet time for a custom rom.

do you have amon recovery installed,and are you able to boot to it?

there are 2 ways to get to recovery:
1)from powered off, hold vol up and power. youll see the skatboarding aliens,then recovery

2)from powered off,hold vol down and power. this should take you to hboot,where youll have an option for recovery

once we know that you are able to get to recovery,then we will organize the files you downloaded and flash them,and get the phone back to working order.

Upvote 0
excellent! dooglads post above should have taken you to xda,where you needed to download the following files. there were alot of links to follow between here and the download,so if you got a lilttle confused on what to download,download these all now:
"ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip" here

"MTD_Inspect_v0.9.zip" here

"ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip" here (also, please see disclaimer here)

"Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip" from here

A custom (dev) ROM, or even a fully stock ROM such as the HTC Eris March 2011 OTA Stock ROM - v2.41.605.6

transfer these files to the sd card in the eris. you can enable usb storage from recovery,and transfer them that way,or you can put the sd into a card reader and plug it in to the PC:
-ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip
-MTD_Inspect_v0.9.zip
-ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip

place this folder into your miniadb folder:
-Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip

now,you will boot the phone into recovery mode(if youre not there allready from transfering the files).

the menu options youll need are "flash zip from sd card" and then simply find the file youre going to flash.

first,flash "ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip". make a note of wether or not you see any errors,and what they are.

assuming you see no errors,when the above opration finishes,then flash "MTD_Inspect_v0.9.zip". this zip will put a text file onto your sd card,so when its done,enable usb storage again,and look at the text file.. (some info on what youll see is here) the file will be somewhat confusing looking,so you might want to just copy all the text,then paste it into a reply box here. this should make it easier for you to read. i will post a copy of mine in the next reply. after youve inspected the text file,disable usb storage and return to the recovery menu.

if you find you have alot of bad blocks in /boot,/system,or /data then you will need to flash the last file: "ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip" please note that if you only have 1 or 2 bad blocks,then do not flash this file just procede to the next step

now we can flash the root rom,wich will get rid of the crappy htcdev hboot,and get you a real s off hboot. you should have "Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip" inside your miniadb folder,so we are going to flash it basically like we did the 1.51 hboot in post #22.
-chose the option in recovery to power off
-open a cmd window,and change to miniadb directory,as youve done in post 22
-hold vol down and power,and the phone should start in hboot. select the fastboot option in hboot.
-plug in the phone
-flash the root rom with these commands:
fastboot devices

fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip

this will start the phone flashing. if it fails,with an hboot preupdate error,just run the above command a second time:

this time,it should finish

be very careful not to interupt the phone while its flashing and doing its thing. after it has flashed all partitions,you can reboot into a working phone,with:

fastboot reboot-bootloader

note that you now have 1.49.2000 s off hboot :) then:

fastboot reboot

and if you boot to a working,functional phone,well step back and take a couple deep breaths. if you want a custom rom,or even a rooted stock rom,its easy to achieve with the s-off hboot,but well save those directions for another post,so we dont overwhelm you with directions at this time. :)

Upvote 0
i ran the inspect zip on my eris,and here is the output i got from the text file on the sd:

Eris MTD Partition Status Report Generated on Sun Dec 30 15:56:42 UTC 2012

PARTITION DEVICE_NAME SIZE(Bytes) BAD_BLOCKS #_E-BLKS ECC_FAIL ECC_CORR BBT_BLOCKS

misc /dev/mtd/mtd0 655360 0 5 0 0 0
recovery /dev/mtd/mtd1 5242880 0 40 0 0 0
boot /dev/mtd/mtd2 2621440 0 20 0 0 0
system /dev/mtd/mtd3 178257920 1 1360 0 0 0
cache /dev/mtd/mtd4 136314880 0 1040 0 0 0
userdata /dev/mtd/mtd5 167247872 0 1276 0 0 0

#################################### misc PARTITION ###################################

Partition Symbolic Name: misc
Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd0
Partition Total Size: 655360
Partition EraseBlock Size: 131072
ECC failed: 0
ECC corrected: 0
Number of bad blocks: 0
Number of bbt blocks: 0
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 0
Dumping data starting at 0x00000000 and ending at 0x00001000...

#################################### recovery PARTITION ###################################

Partition Symbolic Name: recovery
Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd1
Partition Total Size: 5242880

#################################### boot PARTITION ###################################

Partition Symbolic Name: boot
Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd2
Partition Total Size: 2621440

#################################### system PARTITION ###################################

Partition Symbolic Name: system
Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd3
Partition Total Size: 178257920
Number of bad blocks: 1

#################################### cache PARTITION ###################################

Partition Symbolic Name: cache
Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd4
Partition Total Size: 136314880

#################################### userdata PARTITION ###################################

Partition Symbolic Name: userdata
Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd5
Partition Total Size: 167247872

the bad blocks number is the only one youre real concerned with. as you can see,i only have 1,in "system",so i would not risk damage to the phone by flashing the nuke zip.

Upvote 0
Eris MTD Partition Status Report Generated on Wed Jan 9 11:12:26 UTC 1980

PARTITION DEVICE_NAME SIZE(Bytes) BAD_BLOCKS #_E-BLKS ECC_FAIL
ECC_CORR BBT_BLOCKS

misc /dev/mtd/mtd0 655360 0 5 0 0 0

recovery /dev/mtd/mtd1 5242880 0 40 0 0 0

boot /dev/mtd/mtd2 2621440 20 20 0 0 0

system /dev/mtd/mtd3 178257920 187 1360 0 0 0

cache /dev/mtd/mtd4 136314880 13 1040 13 0 0

userdata /dev/mtd/mtd5 167247872 4 1276 0 0 0

#################################### misc PARTITION
###################################

Partition Symbolic Name: misc

Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd0

Partition Total Size: 655360

#################################### recovery PARTITION

Partition Symbolic Name: recovery

Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd1

Partition Total Size: 5242880

#################################### boot PARTITION

Partition Symbolic Name: boot

Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd2

Partition Total Size: 2621440

Number of bad blocks: 20

ECC: 1 uncorrectable bitflip(s) at offset 0x00000000

ECC: 1 uncorrectable bitflip(s) at offset 0x00000800

#################################### system PARTITION

Partition Symbolic Name: system

Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd3

Partition Total Size: 178257920

Number of bad blocks: 187

#################################### cache PARTITION

Partition Symbolic Name: cache

Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd4

Partition Total Size: 136314880

ECC failed: 13

Number of bad blocks: 13

#################################### userdata PARTITION

Partition Symbolic Name: userdata

Partition (character-special) Device: /dev/mtd/mtd5

Partition Total Size: 167247872

Number of bad blocks: 4

Upvote 0
did get the cache to erase. how i don't know, but now i got this 1:

c:\miniadb>fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 2.387s]
finished. total time: 2.396s

c:\miniadb>fastboot flash zip Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip
sending 'zip' (64129 KB)...
OKAY [ 9.121s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
FAILED (remote: 32 header error)
finished. total time: 9.391s

OKAY [ 9.405s]
writing 'zip'...
finished. total time: 9.669s

Upvote 0
did get the cache to erase. how i don't know, but now i got this 1:

c:\miniadb>fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 2.387s]
finished. total time: 2.396s

OKAY [ 9.121s]
writing 'zip'...
finished. total time: 9.391s

OKAY [ 9.405s]
writing 'zip'...
finished. total time: 9.669s

doh! *smacks forehead*

is your htcdev hboot still unlocked ?

looking back thru,it looks like ive forgotten that step :eek:

my apologies... add this step to the above directions(fastboot oem lock):

open cmd,chage to miniadb,etc. like youve been doing,then:

fastboot devices

fastboot oem lock entring this command may casue the phone to try and reboot. if it does,thats ok,give it a couple minutes,then unplug,pull the battery,and re-enter fastboot so you can continue:

fastboot devices

fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem rebootRUU

** you did successsfully flash "ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip" and "ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip" correct?

Upvote 0
here's what i got this time.
OKAY [ 11.619s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 28.193s

OKAY [ 13.882s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 30.391s

did as you said but it says relocked now

Upvote 0
The Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip file that you downloaded is too small. It should be 107,427,740 bytes (or about 104909 kilobytes.) Your error message says that the file you are sending is 64129 KB.

Try downloading that file again, verify that it is about 104910 KB, and re-run the fastboot flash zip Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip command.

Upvote 0
c:\Android>fastboot oem rebootRUU
OKAY [ 0.032s]
finished. total time: 0.043s

c:\Android>fastboot flash zip Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip
sending 'zip' (104909 KB)...
OKAY [ 14.390s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)
finished. total time: 15.504s

Upvote 0
c:\Android>fastboot oem rebootRUU
OKAY [ 0.032s]
finished. total time: 0.043s

c:\Android>fastboot flash zip Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip
sending 'zip' (104909 KB)...
OKAY [ 14.390s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)
finished. total time: 15.504s

ok,please make sure to answer this:

** you did successsfully flash "ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip" and "ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip" correct?

i suspect your bootloader is still unlocked,so lets try this from the top,and well check the md5 of the root rom in the process. good call doogald about the file being too small :cool:

open cmd,chage to miniadb,etc. like youve been doing,then:

md5sums Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip (should output 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94)

fastboot devices

fastboot getvar all

fastboot oem lock entring this command may casue the phone to try and reboot. if it does,thats ok,give it a couple minutes,then unplug,pull the battery,and re-enter fastboot so you can continue:

fastboot devices

fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem rebootRUU

if you get a failed!flush again immediately error then repeat

*if it fails this time,please copy and paste your ENTIRE command window,not just the error. i have a feeling youre maybe just missing some steps each time that were not picking up on.

IIRC,the 99 fail is the unlocked bootloader error,and the header failure may earlier may have been becasue the bad download had the android info document or hboot image missing.

if you can verify that you have flashed "ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip" and "ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip" ,and you can do the above without missing any steps,hopefully youll get it this time.

hang in there,your close to having a working phone! :)

Upvote 0
I believe that I did flash "ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip" and "ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip" correctly.

HERE'S EXACTLY WHAT WAS WRITEN ON PHONES SCREEN"GOOD THING I WROTE IT DOWN AT THAT MONMENT...

1. boot into recovery, hold v up & power.
2.Android system recovery
3.flash zip from sdcard
4.flash ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip
.install :SDCARD:ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip?
.Press Trackball to confirm (I did)
Install from sdcard....
finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
copying files...
deleting files...

Install from sdcard complete.

1.flash zip from sdcard
2.flash ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip
.install :SDCARD:ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip?
.Press Trackball to confirm (I did)
Install from sdcard....
finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
installing update package...
copying files...
deleting files...
copying files...
deleting files...
deleting files...
formatting CACHE...

Install from sdcard complete.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Awesome! Glad to hear the phone is up and running :cool:

We certainly can put recvey back and install a custom rom now.

More info later(I'm at work ATM)

scotty, I'm going to let you keep carrying the ball on this ;) , but just want to remind you that flashing the root ROM also flashes an old version of the radio... he's definitely on an older version.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
the ruu overwrote your custom recovery,wich is no big deal. since you have the s-off bootloader,you can easily install your recovery,just like you did with the htcdev hboot. you should still have it in your miniadb folder,so just place the phone in fastboot,open cmd,and flash recovery with this command:

fastboot flash recovery recoveryname.img

reboot the phone with fastboot reboot

for a custom rom,i might suggest your first one to be a somewhat stockish one,so id recomend this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726467

as doogald mentioned,youre on an older radio,so you can update that if you want by downloading this zip file and installig it in recovery: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=297006&d=1269194832

you can install the radio and rom at the same time if you want,or you can do one first,then the other later.

youll just download,transfer to sd card,then flash them in recovery like you did the other files.

whenever yuo change roms,its not a bad idea to do a "full wipe" in recovery wich consists of:
-data/factory reset
-cache
-dalvik cache

bobcat has a good guide on flashing roms here:
http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/521699-flashing-roms-without-pc.html

you can subsitute steps 3-9 with "download on to pc,transfer to sd card" if you dont want to use the phone itself to do the downloading.

just holler if you have any more questions! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones