HTC Eris On or Off?General

Last Updated:

1. jape

jape Member This Topic's Starter

Sometimes at night I cannot tell for sure if I remembered to turn off my HTC Eris. So when I hit the lower right power ON button to see if I actually left it on it starts the Eris boot-up procedure because I had indeed turned it off.

My Question: Is there a way to tell if the phone in the sleep mode without hitting the power button? You see the problem here? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. jjr1968

jjr1968 Well-Known Member

should be just a quick tap to power button, if screen doesn't light up, I'd consider it Off.,,,,,nope that didn't work....sorry.

3. lyricalpursuit

lyricalpursuit Well-Known Member

Curious- why do you want to turn it off every night?

4. MisterMcGoo

MisterMcGoo Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this too. I turn my data off when I'm not using it to conserve battery power, but I always leave my phone on, but it's also my primary phone (no land line). I do wish the user could set the wake up button. I think I'd wake it up by pushing in the toggle button instead.

5. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

People turn off their cell phones?

Since I got my first cell phone 11 years ago I haven't turned my phone off, ever, unless of course I was replacing the battery or rebooting it or something. Never once just turned it off and left it off.

Why do you turn your phone off at night?

6. thelion

thelion Well-Known Member

Yeah I never turn mine off unless it is being rebooted, it dies or once for a particular work meeting where we had to verify our phones were actually off (not just silenced) for a proprietary presentation.

7. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I also usually turn my phone off at night. It's a waste of energy and why keep it on when I'm not using it? I, unfortunately have a landline, and also, if someone is calling to tell me someone died in the middle of the night, well, they'll still be dead in the morning, no need to ruin a good night's sleep.

But anyway, I was thinking the same thing, it is so annoying that to check if I already turned off my phone, I have to turn it back on. This has happened to me on several occasions.

8. thelion

I just cannot imagine not having my phone on. What if someone needed to reach me in an emergency?

On my BB I did enjoy the bedtime feature where I turned off everything but the phone thus assuring that a text or email would not disturb my slumber. If it isn't important enough to call, it is not important enough to wake me but I'll be damned if I'll miss a call to save a tiny fracture of energy.

9. c64

c64 Well-Known Member

10. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

I've been trying out the app "Timeriffic". It lets me turn off my notification sounds at 11 pm, and back on again at 6 am. You can change your ring settings, vibration, notifications, wifi, bluetooth, and brightness settings. No mobile setting yet...but that's ok, muting the notifications works for me. No waking up in the middle of the night to spam!

11. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

I never turn my phone off either. I have it with me all day, then at night it charges on my nightstand. In the morning, it serves as my alarm clock. If it was off, it wouldn't wake me up ;)

12. c64

c64 Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that when u leave a cell phone plugged in all the time its being constantly charging.Which shortens the battery life:confused:

13. jape

jape Member This Topic's Starter

The subject of my original question seems to have been changed to something I never even asked about. Can we please stay with the original question?

14. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

that's not true, in modern devices the chargers stop feeding the battery once it is full.

15. thelion

Not true with modern devices. These batteries have safety switches in them that stop charging them once they are full. So it just sits there maintaining a full battery but not overcharging.

We answered your question. Don't get testy. A quick tap to the power button does not work and nothing else seems to wake up a sleeping phone. Next time, bother to read mmmkay? Your answer is no.

16. c64

c64 Well-Known Member

I emailed HTC tech support and this is their response:

Thank you for contacting HTC Support.

Leaving your phone on the charger overnight shouldn't shorten the life of the battery under normal circumstances. However, by leaving it on overnight you may run into a problem with your battery getting very hot. Once it is done charging, it should stop charging.

Once again, thank you for contacting HTC Support. In order to help improve our service, we would like to invite you to take a survey at HTC Online Survey

Regards,

HTC Support

Has anybody experienced the eris getting hot?

17. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Agreed. The question and this thread aren't in regards to battery life, there are plenty of other threads about that. If you don't want to turn your phone off, good for you, but criticizing the rest of us for it is not helping us at all. For one reason or another, some of us turn our phones off (SHOCKING!!!!). We want to know if there is another way to check if the phone is off, without actually turning it back on, a valid question that has not yet been satisfactorily answered.

18. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

The only way to check would be to call it with another phone ... not exactly practical. The phone looks the exact same if its sleeping or its shut off. You need to wake a sleeping phone to tell that its sleeping as opposed to off.

19. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

if you jump out of a closet and yell boo it will wake up sometimes.

20. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Ha, thanks Caddy. Wish I had thought of that sooner! Now we'll just have to see how long it takes till the wife has me committed!

21. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I tried that h3 times here at work ... my Eris must be deaf! Everyone in the office is looking at me a little funny though

22. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think that anyone has given a definitive no to his question. Just that the one way doesn't work.

23. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

I know how to turn it off pull the battery it's off.

24. thelion

Well, we said pressing the power button doesn't work (it turns the phone on if it was off). We suggested it would be nice if the toggle did (thus suggesting the toggle does not). What other magical way do you think there could be for turning on a sleeping phone? The question was answered. It isn't my fault if people lack basic comprehension and deduction skills.

25. Crimson770

Crimson770 New Member

.............is it really that hard to remember if you turned it off or not....?