• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC ERIS out of service area

so i recently bought a used htc eris off of ebay (for verison) and i rooted it just to improve little things in the phone. (fix bluetooth, emulators, ect.) After this was going fine until one day i decided to download an app called "eris market fix" in hopes that it would allow some more freedom in the market. unfortunately, immediately after i downloaded it my phone lost not only its 3g but also all service. i then restarted and even hard reset it to no avail. i still could not make calls or connect to the 3g network or wifi. because i needed a phone, i reactivated my old phone in hopes that i could reactivate the eris again by calling *228 but whenever i try to make any phone call i get the error message "out of service area". i would really like to solve this problem without going to a verison store.
any ideas are much appreciated!

The Eris market fix, as I recall, should not have affected your radio at all.

I'm stumped - this may just be a coincidence.

My best idea? There is a custom ROM that you can run that will restore the phone to complete stock, including flashing the Eris radio. (There used to be a link to the latest radio, but I believe that it's no longer valid.)

Download from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=792026

Read that post carefully, especially the part about flashing the radio.

What I would do is:

- download that and copy to SD
- restart the phone in Recovery
- Nand backup the phone as it is now (this will not affect the radio)
- flash that file
- restart the phone and set up again. See if the radio works. You should be able to tell right away - the phone will try to activate
- re-root the phone. Use Scenario 5 from Scary Alien's post here for the easiest method: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html
- restart in Recovery and Nand restore what you backed up in step 3

That should do it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones