• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC ERIS Questions

JediSamReye

Apr 3, 2010
I had an Eris back in the day, I mean right as it was just the moto droid and the Eris, well I have gotten a fantastic deal on an Eris, I have a droid X currently so I have decided Ill use the eris as a mp3 player / google music player/ alarm clock. I have some questions:

-Did it ever get to 2.2?
-Does the google music app run fine?
-Also any good roms that are very stable and run faster? I remember it ran like garbage.
-Does anyone overclock it and if so whats the stable speed, it will most likely be plugged in 90 percent of the time so power consumption isnt a big deal

I will continue the research I just thought that would be nice to maybe ask these questions first

I had an Eris back in the day, I mean right as it was just the moto droid and the Eris, well I have gotten a fantastic deal on an Eris, I have a droid X currently so I have decided Ill use the eris as a mp3 player / google music player/ alarm clock. I have some questions:

-Did it ever get to 2.2?

Not officially. There are Gingerbread ROMs that run pretty well if you root the phone. There is no reason to run Froyo - the GB ROMs are better.

-Does the google music app run fine?

Not really. It will not show up in the market, even rooted with Froyo or GB, and you need to side-load a specific, older version that I believe still does not respond all that well (though I don't think I ever tried it.) Amazon's cloud player is ok, though.

-Also any good roms that are very stable and run faster? I remember it ran like garbage.

It's not bad rooted and slightly overclocked, but it's no Droid X, that's for sure.

-Does anyone overclock it and if so whats the stable speed, it will most likely be plugged in 90 percent of the time so power consumption isnt a big deal

Almost everybody's phone is stable at 710. Some people can do 787 (I think that there is also a 740-something in there, too.) Most ROMs install with 710 as the default.

I will continue the research I just thought that would be nice to maybe ask these questions first

Good luck. If you are thinking of rooting, most answers can be found in our All Things Root subforum.

Upvote 0
Not really. It will not show up in the market, even rooted with Froyo or GB, and you need to side-load a specific, older version that I believe still does not respond all that well (though I don't think I ever tried it.)

I did try it, and it was horrible on the Eris. There was a lot of trouble getting it to recognize you had a google music account, and I couldn't get songs to play all the way through. They're reach a certain point and skip to the next one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones