• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Eris RUU won't run

Crap... now that I think of it, Cricket is a Verizon network re-seller, are they not? (That is, the carrier network is actually Verizon, but all other services such as Voice Mail, SMS, MMS, dialing features, etc are provided by Cricket... I wonder if the CID actually *would* change in this particular case)

According to the Wikipedia, they are using Sprint's and MetroPCS's networks - Sprint's 3G network for data.

Upvote 0
erisuser1 #225 Thanks! Apparently, it (QPST/CDMAW) doesn't modify /misc

Crap... now that I think of it, Cricket is a Verizon network re-seller, are they not? (That is, the carrier network is actually Verizon, but all other services such as Voice Mail, SMS, MMS, dialing features, etc are provided by Cricket... I wonder if the CID actually *would* change in this particular case)
Huh! That is very strange, interesting and of course a very good observation. I was wondering what you were trying to get at, but now I understand.
I am going to bring the phone back to its original state (Verizon Wireless), then again go forward (fully flashing to cricket) to double verify this.
I will also do it with also the other unit which is fully functioning on cricket, then I will give you the results on Friday again at precisely 10PM EST.

In order to concretely conclude, I will redo this and see if the results stay the same. Three trials are enough. Then we'll know without doubt that Cricket is Verizon.

Upvote 0
"IF" our observation and results are correct, then they wouldn't want their little secret to go public. Thanks to erisuser1, we are few steps ahead from completely finding out!

I was only following a hunch, so don't leap to any conclusions. It might be that the CID value in misc has no significance at all. Strange, though that it gets passed to the kernel as a boot argument. (Do a logcat right after booting, and you'll see that.))

eu1

Upvote 0
:) I see!

logcat?! How do I do that?

- enable USB debugging on the phone
- plug phone into PC
- reboot phone and wait until you hear the USB "ker-dink" noise (or 30-40 seconds)
- on PC, type command

adb logcat -v threadtime > mylogfile.txt

- wait 10 seconds or so and hit Control-C

BTW, I don't think there is a need for you to perform any more QPST/CDMAW tests - I got the answer I was looking for (unfortunately, either a negative result, or an ambiguous result).

I can't hang here any longer tonight folks - I have to get up tomorrow morning at 230 PDT (530 EDT).

ciao,

eu1

Upvote 0
I am wondering, what would be the command to restore the saved image? Thanks :)

Welcome to the AndroidForums, srynoname :).

Well, to answer your question without inquiring about it's need or context :)eek:), I believe it would be:

C:\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash misc miscpart.img

(color added for differentiation and emphasis).

This is a pretty old and problem-specific thread, so take the above with a grain of salt--all due cautions still apply to our little ole, beloved Eris.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones