• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Eris support

While considering the Eris I was curious as to whether HTC will continue to support this phone considering all the new android phones being released. I sent them an email and received this:

New Response From [ Philip (North America Support (Tech)) ]
Hello Matt,

I understand that you are concerned about there still being support for the Droid Eris. We have no intention of discontinuing support for the Droid Eris at all, especially as the device is still being produced and sold. Even when, one day, the device is no longer produced, we will still support the phone, as we support devices we manufacture. With no official information released yet about an "HTC Incredible", there is really nothing to say about that device. However, we do still support the Eris; the support page for the device can be found at HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID ERIS by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again. You can find additional support at support forums at community.htc.com. There is also a customer satisfaction survey for you to take if you are interested.

Philip
HTC Technical Support
HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs
HTC (htc) on Twitter
Customer Information
Name Matt Larsen
Telephone
Email Address humboldtsgt@suddenlink.net
Country United States
Inquiry Information
Inquiry Type Technical Support
Inquiry Description Is HTC providing support for the Droid Eris or has all support been discontinued pending the HTC Incredible release?
Issue Date & Time
2010/04/07 05:07

I think I will be getting the Eris, mostly due to not wanting to spend high dollar for the newest android phone to possibly hit the shelves in the next 30-90 days?? It seem that most everyone on here is very pleased with the device. I am coming from a Storm 1 and anticipate that I will probably be impressed with the Sense UI.

going through the HTC site to find the Eris is hell though. It isn't listed in the product lists, there isn't a picture icon of it like the others, and when you search it only give outdated news articles. IN the box the "Tips, Hints, and Shortcuts" booklet lists a URL to go to for more info. You move around from that. The entire user manual for the eris is online and download-able (pdf format); best for a phone I've ever seen.

EDIT: as of about a week ago the above applied, at least from my computer. Just checked and the the picture is featured and goes directly to the info for the Eris.

Upvote 0
Don't go by what VZW ever says. Go with what works for you. Have you seen people crying about 2.1 because VZW employees said the Eris would get it? Supposedly it still is coming out, but the expectations of the customers are already high and everyone has been on their period the past three months.

If the phone is affordable and you like it, get it. What support could you possibly want once the warranty is up in a year? During that time you will have the warranty.

Get it if you want it. Wait and see how the Incredible is and if you like that. You'd be paying $199, or so, for it, though.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
going through the HTC site to find the Eris is hell though. It isn't listed in the product lists, there isn't a picture icon of it like the others, and when you search it only give outdated news articles. IN the box the "Tips, Hints, and Shortcuts" booklet lists a URL to go to for more info. You move around from that. The entire user manual for the eris is online and download-able (pdf format); best for a phone I've ever seen.

EDIT: as of about a week ago the above applied, at least from my computer. Just checked and the the picture is featured and goes directly to the info for the Eris.

I had that problem too, but i figured out it was because i was being directed to the HTC UK site instead of their USA one. The phone is not sold in the UK yet and thats probably why it wasn't showing up. On the USA site its listed and is featured on the front page.

Upvote 0
Personally i'd buy a phone based on how it functions now, and don't ever expect it to function any better down the road. If you go into it not expecting any new features or updates you'll be happy, otherwise you'll feel cheated when you quit playing with your new toy and it starts to dawn on you that it just won't do certain things at least right now it won't.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all of you, I appreciate the advice. I have been an avid reader of this forum and have found mostly useful info amidst the chatter of impatience concerning expectations. I went through the same with my Storm last year, searching and installing OS builds till I was blue in the face.

I have come to realize that it is just a phone and not a desktop computer nor a home theater.

Again thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones