HTC EVO 3D Virgin: Stock ROM(s) Customer ROM(s) hboot version etc.

1. joe_blow

joe_blow Well-Known Member

Questions I hope will be answered in this post:
    1. What is the best or most up to date "Stock ROM" for the "HTC EVO 3D Virgin" version?
    2. Given an answer to question 1 is there a Rooted version of stock ROM?
    3. What are a list of custom ROM(s) that work (well) on the "HTC EVO 3D Virgin"? By well I mean all functions except for the two gimmicky ones; 3D pictures and HDMI out
    Now with that said, I have unlocked, s-off phone that I recently "boot-looped" since I installed a CM10 ROM that needed a hboot of 1.5 or less. This phone ( a re-branded Sprint phone ) only seems to boot from hboot 1.58 but that's another story. To recover I used the RUU method to get back to stock, so everything is back to normal. But still I have the above lingering questions here is why:

When going to the HTC RUU site ( Directory listing of http://htcruu.com/Shooter ) you can only find ONE Virgin ROM:

• 2012-08-29 12:24:24
    • RUU_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_VM_1.13.652.2_Radio_1.06.00.0426_NV_1.53_144_release_262287_signed.exe
    • 428437KB

Which brings my phone back to factory stock. Please note the date August 29 2012. When I got the phone in May it had "1.14.652.0" but this ROM is "1.13.652.2" ... WTF?? :confused:

Thus does anyone know what is up with 1.14.652.0? is it Virgin's version? Better or worse?
    Also is there a true Virgin stock ROM that is rooted? Finally is there a list of ROM that is known to work with Virgin or preferred ones?

Advertisement
  2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

For proper help and support I will move this tot he Rooted section for Evo V, I am sure you will get the proper help there.

3. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

See question 2. You are on the stock rom currently. Just flash superSU in recovery and you will have a "True Stock rooted rom".
    joe_blow likes this.
  4. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Exactly, my build number is still the original but I have the updated radio 1.09.00.476 that I flashed manually.
  5. joe_blow

joe_blow Well-Known Member

Ya, after doing way more reading, I can see that now. So I ended up flashing the VM_1.14_Base_Hboot_Radio_Firmware_PG86IMG.zip and then putting back JBear 1.57.5757.

Running MidnightRom 1.3.8 but I added the MAC v3.1 Kernel for better tweaking flexibility.

Once again thanks for all the details, the more I read the more I understand and make progress.
  6. bondbeau

bondbeau Member

I see this thread was moved to another forum by a moderator, but I guess I don't know how to find things when they're moved...I tried.

But my question is largely the same, because before I do any root or S-Off or whatever, I simply want to know for certain that I have the latest firmware/radio for my EVO V via Virgin's Over The Air update. I understand it can probably be pieced together otherwise, but I'd really rather not get into all that. I doubt I'll ever change ROM's because, in one way or another, none of them appear to work without errors. But I WOULD like to be able to have full access to the apps that run.

My phone came with the 1.13 version, and does not find any OTA updates available, but that is also a question, because I've seen that other people have also reported that their EVO V's won't do the OTA update for whatever reason. Frustrating!

From another site, I was told that the 'before and after' of the OTA are as follows:

Stock Evo V 4G (before OTA):

Hboot: 1.57.0000
    Kernel: 3.0.16-g4211684 htc-kernel@u18000-build-144 #1
    Baseband version: 1.06.00.0426
    Build number: 1.13.652.2_R2 CL372137 release-keys

PRI Version: 1.53_144
    PRL Version: 61009

After OTA installed:

Hboot: 1.57.0000
    Kernel: 3.0.16-g4211684 htc-kernel@u18000-build-144 #1
    Baseband (Radio): 1.09.00.0706
    Build: 1.14.652.0 CL372137 release-keys

PRI: 1.53_144
    PRL: 61009

So far I've spent an hour with HTC, and an hour and a half with Virgin on the phone...and while they seem to see references to the 1.14.652.0 CL372137 release-keys version on the web, neither of them know ANYTHING about it, so cannot say definitively which is the most recent...that one, or 1.13.652.2_R2 CL372137 release-keys

Currently, the phone is completely untouched/stock...exactly as received from Virgin.

I understand there was a significant improvement in reception with the OTA, otherwise I wouldn't be making a big deal (my immediate area has a very weak signal).

If there is actually an OTA from 1.13 to 1.14, why can't I get it on a completely original phone?

Can anyone say for certain please?
  7. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

While the 1.14 version is the latest some phones seem to have problems displaying that, the important thing is that the radio update shows as the 1.09.00.0706 version. HTC had this to say about the OTA :

The OTA update is being deployed in stages so it may take some time before everyone receives it. For now let's dial the special code *#*#2432546#*#* - we just want to ensure that you see 'checkin succeeded' at the top of the screen. This helps us ensure your phone is communicating with the update servers so the update will go through when it should.

Just an fyi, the dialer code phonetically is *#*#checkin#*#*
    ramjet73 likes this.