HTC EVO 4G getting Android 2.2 Froyo very soon

Last Updated:

1. kiddk1

kiddk1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    Scooterman1 and ss220 like this.
  2. vicshalls

vicshalls Well-Known Member

I will be happy if they just do it. Sprint is usually slow to up grade but when they do they seem to run great except for our last fix. Just hope people don't complain too much. Just look at how long it took htc to even get 2.2 ready to send out now the carriers have to put their spin on it.

3. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

I would think the EVO will get 2.2 faster than normal because it's Sprints flagship device at the moment and they don't want to be trumped by the Droid X

4. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Well-Known Member

I dont mean to be the downer. But anyone that waited for the Hero 2.1 update from sprint will believe soon means December 2010.

I thought 2.2 was just released officially on the nexus one this week? If so and if google just released it then HTC will have to build it first then send to sprint who will have to test it for weeks of not months.

Maybe the update is easier and it wont require as much time. However, the fact that we just got an update (fix) tells me that 2.2 isnt that close. Sprint and htc would have waited to fix the minor bugs with the 2.2 release instead of pushing out 2 different updates that close together.

With the hero we got the sleep problem update and then 2.1 about 6 months later. According to an HTC email they blamed sprint for the delays. They said sprint kept rejecting the 2.1 htc would send them. It was a back and forth for months.

It would be nice if this doesnt repeat itself. But i'm going to assume December.

5. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

I am assuming by July 15th since thats when they said the fix for their free 4g hotspot was going to be available... just a wild guess on my parent and the two have nothing to do with eachtoher... but sprint's been very good about releasing updates when they come out officially and say they are... it just usually takes forever for them to say they are....

6. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

"Evo getting Froyo soon"

How is this news?

7. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

@tmaxey - in fairness, the final FroYo build was just released this week, but devs at HTC and Sprint have had the code for months probably.

8. swazedahustla

swazedahustla Well-Known Member

You have to take into consideration the jump from 1.5 to 2.1 was totally different than going from 2.1 to 2.2. And remember 1.5 was hacked all kinds of ways to get it to run on the hero. Thats not the case with our current software so the time it takes to convert should be drastically reduced.

9. lldsandsll

lldsandsll Well-Known Member

old news is old lol

10. Kennymac29

Kennymac29 Member

HTC has had Froyo for awhile now, Google just released the final build. HTC makes the Nexus one so I would think they've had Froyo longer then everyone else. Now they just have to make sense play nice with it. But then again we did have to wait way to long for 2.1 on the Hero, we'll see if Sprint's promise on this summer holds up.

11. brackett5

brackett5 Well-Known Member

I am coming from verizon to sprint (sprint gets better relception at my workplace) and I know verizon can be slow too at updates. However it would make plenty since for them to put it out on July 15th since that is the release date for the Droid X.

12. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

Htc only made the nexus one. Google supplies the upgrade to 2.2. Htc didnt have its hands on that project. Google and only google work on the nexus one. That's why they are the first to see upgrades. I doubt we will see froyo in july.

13. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

that and most of the sprint software will work going from 2.1 to 2.2 because alot of the rooted 2.2 roms can still have the sprint bloat

14. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

This is the only downfall of HTC w/ Sense. It always takes so damn long for them to wrap sense around the next build of Android OS. It pisses me off, I really wish users had the option to do either:

1. wait for the HTC release with sense

OR

2. legitimately upgrade to the newer software W/O Sense included.

Let us decide is what I say!

15. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Lots of doubters. Well, the Evo did come in June vs July. Sprint and HTC both want 2.2 to happen. It'll help them both sell phones.

I'm sticking with my call for early July. Yes, I'm optimisitic. But I also know HTC and Sprint tried to get 2.2 into Evo before release. The only thing that stopped that was bumping the release up to June.

The news itself is not new and won't be until the headline reads "Froyo Released To Evo Today."

raqball likes this.
  16. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

The Droid X gets released July 15th... I would imagine Sprints going to want the EVO pimpin on or about that date...

Also to the naysayers... Sprint and HTC have had Froyo for a while.. Do you really think it was just released to them? Come on now....

17. gzeshDP

gzeshDP Member

I'm going to the Chicago HTC meetup/event next week. I doubt it, but I wonder if any information pertaining to froyo will be given there... It's worth a shot. I'll do my worth of asking.

18. scott314

scott314 Member

I was under the impression that the Evo was originally developed to run 2.2 but was downgraded in order to release in time to beat the IPhone 4 announcement.

That may be all speculation, but if there is any truth to it then HTC/Sprint have probably already done significant work on an Evo 2.2 ROM in advance of the 2.2 RTM code. I'm sure early 2.2 builds have been available to manufacturers for months.

19. Scooterman1

Scooterman1 Well-Known Member

From what I was told my my sales rep (hacker) is that this upgrade is nothing like the last upgrades. That this one will be very rapid, and easy for Sprint. He explained why in more detail, and I wish I had been paying more attention to the technical end of what he said. He did seem to be knowledgeable.

UPDATE: The article said SOON, and it was written JUNE 25.

20. ortizdupri

ortizdupri Active Member

I imagine they've had the preliminary builds (just like everyone else) for a while now.

However, the final release build WAS just released the other day. So.

21. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

If you've ever worked in software Dev, this is a good thing. Sprint is kicking it back because it isn't right.

I'm sure the people with Brick'd EVOs are wishing HTC had a bit better quality checks before they turned code out.

I'll be happy to wait till Froyo is done right.

Shawn

22. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

I got my money on august