1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

HTC EVO 4G Glass Touch LCD Screen RepairTips

1. repairsuniverse

repairsuniverse Well-Known Member

Hi,

We have just completed our repair video guide for the HTC EVO 4G smartphone from Sprint. We thought it may be of interest to readers of this forum as it shows how to replace both a broken glass touch screen digitizer and the LCD screen which we know is a common issue with this phone.

Our HTC EVO 4G repair video can be found here - HTC EVO 4G Glass Touch Screen Digitizer + LCD Repair Guide

We hope this guide helps. Let us know if there are any questions / suggestions to improve this video.

Advertisement
    :
    Toyz, Granite1, Rxpert83 and 7 others like this.
  2. Crodley

Crodley Well-Known Member

Thanks for the vid, hope I never need to watch it ;)
  3. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Forget you. I just saw this thread http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/189337-warning-about-www-repairsuniverse-com.html#post1678583 I want nothing from your business if this is the result of your company following its own instructions!
    Drew5150 likes this.
  4. Yea, you have some serious balls coming on here advertising your stuff after I read that thread. That is no way to treat a customer that paid you to do work.
  5. dark

dark Active Member

No thank you, sir. I am not gonna to tip my moneys on you cuz i have no respect for u and ur company due to that. sorry.
  6. gtg252b

gtg252b New Member

Last week my wife dropped her Evo and completely shattered the glass front. Rather than pay $500 for a new Evo off-contract (or $350 for a used one on EBAY) I thought I'd give this replacement a try.

My first impression with their service was great. They shipped the replacement glass amazingly quick, and it seemed to be just as described.

Then I did the install. All-in-all it went pretty well, but I did have a few complaints. First off, their video makes it look way easier than it is. The one part in particular that was a pain was separating the glass from the plastic bit behind it. They must have already taken that phone apart once before in the video to make it look so easy.

Once I got the phone back together and turned it on, everything works great, but the new glass doesn't look quite as good as the original. There are some fine lines running vertically down the inside surface of it (probably for the touch sensor), but you only really notice them when the light hits the screen just right or when the screen turns all white when you first boot the phone up.

Here's a photo of me pulling the cracked screen off when I finally got it loose:
    [​IMG]
    Clay125 likes this.
  7. Or you could have taken it to sprint and paid them 35 dollars to do it...
  8. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

yeah I remember reading that thread. I wouldn't give this company any money. no sir
  9. 3volut1on

3volut1on VIP Member VIP Member

My wife dropped hers yesterday morning and cracked the top right corner of the screen. We didn't have insurance on hers, but took it to the Sprint repair store and 1 hr. later and $35, the screen was brand new.
    TweetieMarie and lesliegodwin like this.
  10. jimcraig

jimcraig Well-Known Member

Heres the right webpage for do it yourselfers

Installing HTC Evo 4G Front Panel - iFixit

I just did this myself and took me under an hour off & back on. Word to the wise be CAREFUL with the heat gun. I melted the black plastic bezel getting it too hot. Nothing a case wont fix but still.
    Clay125 likes this.
  11. Old Shadow

Old Shadow Active Member

I think this is the way to go. Let Sprint be responsible. I'd wind up melting all kinds of stuff!
  12. Cuso

Cuso Well-Known Member

Hod on a sec, are you telling me that I can take my scratched screen into Sprint and have them replace it for $35 measly bucks???!!
  13. Boozer

Boozer Member

I just broke my glass and went to Sprint store & they said they wouldn't touch it & I had to go through the insurance & $100.

Can anyone else confirm that they were able to get it fixed at a Sprint store? Maybe I'll try another location.
  14. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

Not all Sprint stores are repair centers
  15. m4xwellmurd3r

m4xwellmurd3r Member

Also, sprint changed their tep policy and any crack larger than I believe 2 inches has to go through the insurance claim (meaning now its a 100 dollar deductible repair)
  16. Boozer

Boozer Member

Yep, that's what they all said to me, went to 3 repair stores & asked if I can pay them to fix it...no dice because of new policy. If it was just a small crack, they would have fixed it. Doesn't make any sense.
  17. TheRepairGuy

TheRepairGuy New Member

The policy has been changed at Authorized Repair centers.

I am a repair technician for Sprint and originally any crack was ok. Now the policy is this...

We can repair a cracked screen as long as it is less than 2 total cracks and said cracks do not exceed more than an inch in length.

This is why i repair them on my own as well.
    TweetieMarie likes this.
  18. CrazyTechnoBoy

CrazyTechnoBoy Well-Known Member

Wait, so what happened? The post got removed because of privacy reasons.
  19. Clay125

Clay125 New Member

So how do I know if I have a wide flex cable or a narrow one? I need to order the parts! What are the measurements?
  20. repairsuniverse

repairsuniverse Well-Known Member

Hi,

The way to be 100% sure is to pop the back off the phone and check the width of the LCD flex cable.

We have the exact ribbon widths on our website on the screen product pages.
  21. Clay125

Clay125 New Member

I got it. The serial number on the back of the LCD will tell me what I need. 2V6A is the narrow flex cable, 2WCA is the wide cable. I got this answer from a eBay seller, I expected more from this forum! lol
    petarmarinov37 and mms1946 like this.
  22. Clay125

Clay125 New Member

I asked 4 different sites the same question on the same day. The winner gets my order! Gadgetfix on eBay! Simple answer, just what I needed!
  23. catprinces01

catprinces01 New Member

Really...?
    I call Sprint but....."Dear madam, you need to pay $250.00 for us to change the screen"
    I just wonder; where do they charge $35.00????:rolleyes:
  24. catprinces01

catprinces01 New Member

I asked them same question, but the answer was $250. I have no idea where the $35 came from....