HTC EVO 4G LTE geotags images.Support

Last Updated:

1. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

If this is common knowledge excuse the post. I tried searching. :)

So I was playing around with the gallery today and noticed you can long press a pic and hit show on map and it shows where you took the pic on google maps. I keep gps off but my pics are still tagged from tower info only and some of them are surprisingly accurate.

Just for curiosity, I went through the picture thread and all of you that posted pics of your house I now know where you live! And I know where some of you work too!

It's a really cool feature for on phone use but I figured due to internet safety and all it bared being discussed so people can at least be careful with it. I didn't try it but you can probably resave any picture with your favorite image software and erase the tag easy enough, but be warned that pics of your favorite fishing spot, bar, and where you hide when you're supposed to be working can be disclosed if you upload straight from the phone.

Like I said, it's a great feature but I'd advise at least being aware of it when posting pics online.

The location info can also be viewed in windows too by clicking properties and details.

EvoGeek and dustwun77 like this.
  2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

Good thing to mention. It is an option in Camera Options if you want to turn it off.
    EvoGeek, marctronixx and ovrrdrive like this.
  3. Cactus73

Cactus73 Well-Known Member

When I long press on a photo, nothing happens.
  4. ovrrdrive

Long press in the gallery where you can see all of the thumbnails, when you're viewing a pic tap the pic, then hit the more button and it should be in there...

I'm not stock but I've seen the info on pics on this forum from people that were.
    Cactus73 likes this.
  5. ovrrdrive

For kicks, here's a webpage that decodes the exif data for you. It gives the gps of pics in decimal that you can paste directly into google maps... Cool stuff.

Jeffrey's Exif viewer
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Root camera mod turns that truly off, see the root sticky.

Use Flicker and set your personal preferences to hide EXIF data from everyone.
    dustwun77, EvoGeek and marctronixx like this.
  7. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Well-Known Member

This is one of the first things I turn off on a phone. It really is neat, but there's just too many weirdos out there.
  8. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Well-Known Member

Same here, I turned it off in the camera app right away. Unless the OP is saying turning it off there doesn't really turn it off?
  9. ovrrdrive

Op was just simply saying a lot of people don't know it's doing it by default. A quick browse through the picture thread shows that.

It's just a PSA...
  10. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

interestingly enough..when I opened the box there was a printed message right there on top telling me it did this, and how to turn it off ;)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  11. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Good reminder, I totally forgot about it for a while, then I checked EXIF and was rather appalled to find I still had it on and my pictures were disturbingly revealing. At least when I post stuff here I post it as directlinks to Facebook pics, which strips the EXIF.
    dustwun77 and EarlyMon like this.
  12. sotg

sotg Member

The geotagging seams to have been removed from my phone. When I took a picture it would show you on a map where you took it. Now all of a sudden it does not. Am I missing a setting some where? Did they remove it in the last update? I really liked that feature.

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

You probably just turned it off or were in a location where you thought you had reception but not enough to tag your photo(s).

When you opened the camera options, is "Geo-tag photos" checked ON?
    PattiCakeUS and Granite1 like this.
  14. sotg

sotg Member

That option isn't even there anymore. My pics haven't geo tagged since early September. Did they remove it with the last update? Its not a big deal at all, just cool for trips,etc.
  15. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

are you looking in the right location? see attached photo.

Attached Files:

KENNECTED and PattiCakeUS like this.