HTC EVO 4G not unscratchable

Last Updated:

1. blackenpheonix

blackenpheonix New Member This Topic's Starter

After watching that EVO Screen test video, i rip out my invisible shield because i just cant stand it. Its so rubbery and feels unnatural and looks ugly too. Not only that, its hard to use the mulititouch features, like pinch to zoom easily. So i thought it was gonna be unscratchable huh? i was wrong, I went around naked with my evo and thought i wont scratch there is a scratch on top of my screen about 1/3 down the screen. its about one inch its super hard to see but its there. I wish i kept my invisible shield on.. -_- smh.

Advertisement
  2. Munnarg

Munnarg Well-Known Member

No one said it was unscratchable lol. It's pretty durable, but you still have to take the necessary precautions if you KNOW you don't have any protection on it.

3. tkrechel

tkrechel Well-Known Member

4. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Well-Known Member

Don't let WOLVERINE use your phone anymore.:eek:

ndfan4u, JunBringer and nikkihp79 like this.
  5. blackenpheonix

blackenpheonix New Member This Topic's Starter

yeah i agree, kinda regret now. Well i thought it would be alot tougher to get a scratch on it.

6. evo32

evo32 Member

The evo screen is very durable compared to other phones like the iPhone or MyTouch. But scratch resistant, No. I did the same thing that you did and removed my Invisible shield, but luckily nothing has happened to the screen.

7. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Folks, it's simple. The Evo's screen is known (as far as has been reported) to have a tempered glass (and a plastic camera lens cover, why people think it's glass is beyond me, it's so thin).

If you recall from grade school Earth Science, glass has a hardness of anywhere from ~5.5-7ish on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness (which is a scratch test ranking of minerals). This means that Glass will be scratch proof to most soft metals (iron, copper, nickel, lead, gold, and most types of unhardened steel), plastic, and harsh language. So your keys, razor blades, and paper clips are likely not to scratch the screen.

This however does not comprise the entire universe of things that will come into contact with the screen. What commonly occurring substance will scratch the screen? SAND. Sand and other forms of debris will easily scratch glass, and if you don't know what scratched your phone, I have $100 riding on it being a grain of sand.

For example, it's not unusual for sand and other debris to be caught in the pockets of jeans during the stone washing process (I know I've had to wash jeans with the pockets inside out several times to rid some of them of all the grit and sand).

Unless they made the screen with diamond, there is no way the screen will be scratch proof, especially to sand. The scratch test video mentioned is nice because glass is a significant step up from the plastic screen of the Palm Pre and most older phones, and glass will resist and significant amount of scratching from keys, razors, and such.

Chief7, The Dorian, drksilenc and 2 others like this.
  8. sarcasmic

sarcasmic Active Member

You just invented the most awesome piece of geek bling.

9. ThatNewAndroidGuy

ThatNewAndroidGuy Well-Known Member

pics?

10. zpilot

zpilot Well-Known Member

Don't think you wanna see that in picture form... Just sayin'

The Dorian, clambert1273 and skpd like this.
  11. zense

zense Member

lol!

12. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

you mean like this, only just diamonds:

[​IMG]

13. Minjin

Minjin Well-Known Member

Or just use sapphire like quality watches have been doing for decades. I would gladly pay extra for that.

14. MrDSL

MrDSL Member

Does anyone know what it would cost to just replace the outer part of the screen?

15. sarcasmic

sarcasmic Active Member

Probably a lot. It's not just a glass top cover, the glass IS the touch screen, and it's pretty complicated. It is also possible that it is not sold separately of the LCD.

I tried to find a price but I can't even find the EVO touch screen as a replacement part anywhere.

EDIT: Found one, price is $109.99
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ff60977&itemid=290448123779&ff4=263602_263622

16. Danduhman.ds

Danduhman.ds Well-Known Member

About 60$ but as of now u gotta buy 3 at the warehouse or they wont ship.Anyway its pretty intense to take apart.

17. sweteg

sweteg Well-Known Member

I tell anyone who asks to use a screen protector. All the scratch tests mean nothing to me. All it takes is a random particle/object at the weirdest angle to scratch your screen and you won't even notice until you look at it from a certain angle. When anyone says they used their phone for 1-2 years and had no scratches, that's pretty lucky. Not everyone has that kind of luck.

18. sarcasmic

sarcasmic Active Member

I suppose one could buy 3, then sell the other two on ebay for a profit. If there's enough demand..

19. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

I haven't used any phone without a screen protector, and some kind of case, in over 5 years. I cant stand scratches on my phone. They are so distracting.

20. teky

teky Well-Known Member

I don't worry about normal wear and tear like small scratches. It's like a shiny new car....you are paranoid about it until the first ding or scratch...then you get over it.

This phone will be rather obsolete in a year...not enough time to get too many scratches unless it's being handled very roughly. Then just upgrade to the latest Android superphone.

21. sweteg

sweteg Well-Known Member

I worry about scratches because it can decrease the resale value I can get from eBay down the road. :D

22. 3volut1on

3volut1on VIP Member VIP Member

If you decide to go with another, I highly recommend the Ghost Armor. Its just as smooth as glass and perfect for multi-touch and Swype.

23. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

lol

24. lousyskater

lousyskater Active Member

Nice reporting there blackenpheonix.

In other news, fire is in fact hot. More on this at 11. (sorry, I had too :D )

25. jerzeywill

jerzeywill Well-Known Member

Don't get people who think glass is not scratch able or breakable. Glass can be scratched or break. Look how many people broke unbreakable iPhone 4 glass then complain about Apple. But then again what kinda dumbness is to make phone out of glass. That's moronic.