HTC EVO 4G receives OTA update to 5.07.651.1

1. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    kct1975, leglace, Targaryen and 5 others like this.
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Its gonna be a while for it to roll out everywhere. The important thing to note is that if you are rooted NEVER accept an OTA!!
  3. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member

Actually this OTA installs an app. Plain and simple. Just like flashing "gapps", with only one "gapp", but in the form of an OTA :)
  4. Rube8514

Rube8514 Well-Known Member

Nothing in Indiana, yet.
  5. Rxpert83

Which would be just another reason not to accept it. Its easy enough to side-load an app, why even risk it?

And that is assuming that is truly the only thing in the OTA. During the last OTA the enhancements/fix list said nothing about upgrading android to 2.3.5
    ocnbrze likes this.
  6. Catman51

Catman51 Member

Nothing in Los Angeles yet.
  7. Rube8514

Rube8514 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine manually pushed the update on Sunday.....I have yet to receive it...both in Indiana
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  8. Rxpert83

Devices are randomly selected for the update. It is not a regional thing
  9. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

Just FYI....I have an OG EVO, and as for 05/20/2012....no OTA update yet.
  10. Rxpert83

Its a 6 week rollout and we're only in week 3, so you just have to be patient with it.
  11. CapThrowback

CapThrowback Well-Known Member

I want to get my hands on this update and see what's included.

I've been trying to manually receive it for weeks. I assume your friend isn't rooted so I can extract the OTA file. I guess I'll just have to wait until I get it :(. I hate waiting. It's bad enough I have to wait for my next device to clear customs when I should've had it in-hand today.
    ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  12. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

My wife's phone got the message last night. Of course her phone is rooted so I rejected the update
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  13. CapThrowback

Actually, if it's rooted, you can allow the update to download, just don't install it.

Then, use a file explorer with root capability to navigate to /cache, and copy the file that starts with OTA over to the SD card. Then you can post it somewhere for me to download and dissect :D.

If you're up for it, that is. Typically, the rule is not to accept the OTA, but the only way for someone (a dev, or me) to actually use it is to download and not apply. After that, you can disable updates. If it was pushed to me, I would've done it already :rolleyes:.
    Rxpert83 and ocnbrze like this.
  14. Targaryen

Targaryen Well-Known Member

If I get it soon I will get you a copy. Do they even come if you are running a custom rom, I switch roms alot but have long stretches with CM and don't think I've ever gotten an OTA. Or I may have and forgotten about it.
    CapThrowback likes this.
  15. Rxpert83

AOSP ROMS will not check for the update, but any sense ROM is able to.
  16. Targaryen

Ahh, that's probably why then, been on cyanogen and miui for a while. I would love miui if it weren't for my internet was horrible and I couldn't take it anymore
  17. Rxpert83

What build were you on?

Swiper had a pretty solid GB one.
    "MIUI.us_supersonic_2.3.2_b1_es_stock_icons_swiper_rootlinux"
    ocnbrze and Targaryen like this.
  18. Targaryen

[ROM][4/28/2012] MIUI.us 4.0.4-2.4.27 Ice Cream Sandwiched is what I was on I think. Hard to remember cuz they update every Friday. Just read that their new one fixed a lot of problems
  19. jmwomack

jmwomack Member

Nothing here in Dallas,tx as of may 23,2012 8:52am
  20. beachmike

beachmike New Member

I just downloaded and installed this update a few minutes ago in South Orange County, CA. My phone is now stuck in an infinite loop that keeps returning to this error message:

"Sorry! The application HTC Sense (process.com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Underneath this message is a button that says on it "Force Close." Every time I press this button, I get the same error message. I tried rebooting the phone several times, but that didn't help. My phone is not rooted and had the latest updates up until this one.

Any suggestions?

I'm eligible for an upgrade, so maybe Sprint will give me a new phone for free if they can't fix my EVO 4G. I want to upgrade to the EVO 4G LTE.
  21. CapThrowback

I'm getting some weird behavior with it too. My Market won't download anything, and the phone keeps hot rebooting.

If anyone else wants to try out the new OTA (stock unrooted users only), I created a thread for it over on XDA:

[OTA] 5.07.651.1 Update (ZIP DOWNLOAD INSIDE!) - xda-developers
    argedion and ocnbrze like this.
  22. dlin95123

dlin95123 Well-Known Member

Is this update still available? I saw this update last week but was too busy to do the upgrade then. But I cannot see this update anymore. My phone says it is up to date already.
  23. CapThrowback

If you want to try it, you can always just install it from the link in the post above yours. Note, however that you won't be able to remove the update unless you decide to root your device. I have seen reports of better battery life with the update, but I've also seen some reports of weird behavior.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  24. dlin95123

dlin95123 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll wait for OTA update. There may be reasons why the OTA update is not available.
  25. Crimson01

Crimson01 Well-Known Member

I'm about to call BS on this "update". Nothin in the ATL as well. Probably get it just after I get my new LTEvo :D