HTC EVO 4G recieves OTA update to 4.67.651.3

1. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    katiecat, EVU, ocnbrze and 2 others like this.
  2. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Ah, it looks like this removes the Carrier IQ software like it did on the Sprint HTC EVO 3D. HTC is on a roll. :)

I will wait until this has been rolled into a clean ROM before I flash it to my wife's handset. This is really good news though. ;)
    ocnbrze and marctronixx like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

here is what it does:
    marctronixx and smitty543 like this.
  4. smitty543

smitty543 Well-Known Member

How should those with ROOTED phones proceed? Cannot accept OTAs.

ROM: MicG 2.61
    Kernel: Anthrax
  5. Firehawk

Firehawk Well-Known Member

6. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

general rule of thumb, no rooted/cooked devices should accept any OTA's. Those device owners should wait for the chefs to cook up a newer ROM with the updates instead.

katiecat likes this.
  7. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Hopefully, Synergy ROM gets updated with a patch.
  8. oldngrumpy

oldngrumpy Member

Updated my phone this morning. The update removes HTC IQAgent and updates to 2.3.5. So far, I am not having any problems.
    katiecat, marctronixx and ocnbrze like this.
  9. ocnbrze

the discussion for the latest ota will be in the rooting section. here is the link:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/486888-new-ota-4-67-651-3-out-do-not-accept.html
    mikem0269 and marctronixx like this.
  10. LBPHeretic

Android 2.3.5, eh? That should enable Google Talk with video chatting to work then.

Of course, you would need the requisite Google Talk .apk file that has the video chatting functionality included in it. Has anyone tried this out yet?
  11. 111205

111205 New Member

Just got the update here in Richmond va
    marctronixx likes this.
  12. Firehawk

I can verify that voice/video chat is not included, though I thought it was included after 2.3.4

This google talk .apk file you are talking about, how can I get it and do I need to be rooted?
  13. CA_SteelersFan

CA_SteelersFan Active Member

Just updated here in Los Angeles. No problems so far...
    marctronixx likes this.
  14. Firehawk

now...if we could only get HTC to give us sense 2.1
  15. LBPHeretic

Indeed. It was originally enabled in Android 2.3.4, but I was hoping that HTC included it with this update that contains Android 2.3.5.

As for enabling it yourself, you can check out this link here: [APP][ROOT] Google Talk 1.3 with Video calling, Now wifi optional! - xda-developers . It does require root. So, if discussion on this is to continue, a thread should be created for it in the root section.
    marctronixx and ocnbrze like this.
  16. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Well-Known Member

Got the update, Portland OR. Voice Mail, Sprint Zone, and Google Search bar all changed. Updates android market app. Noticed my RAM usage dropped from 175mb to 140mb and ICQ is gone. (Unrooted) That's all I noticed so far.
  17. LBPHeretic

That is good information. It is probably safe to say that the Carrier IQ software used quite a bit of that RAM.

I would imagine the elimination of the Carrier IQ software is also the main cause for better battery life in this update. I am sure people will chime in on that as the update continues to roll out.
  18. Firehawk

the phone deffinately has better battery life and runs much smoother. Also with this update some of my internal memory was freed up
    marctronixx likes this.
  19. mikem0269

mikem0269 Well-Known Member

This update is also updating the H BOOT to 2.18.001. This will most likely prevent the revolutionary from being able to root at this time.
  20. ocnbrze

yes guys,
    so if you plan on rooting your phones do not accept it. it will change your hboot like mikem0269 said and you will not be able to. who knows if the devs are able to find another exploit to root the phone.

just putting this out there for people who are not rooted yet but are considering rooting your phone. if you have no plans on rooting then by all means go ahead and accept the ota.
    smitty543 and marctronixx like this.
  21. anacrusis

anacrusis Active Member

Beware: My wireless connection keeps disconnecting after installing this update.
  22. wolf_walker

wolf_walker Well-Known Member

Updated in NC, no problems so far. Phone seems faster.
    marctronixx likes this.
  23. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

I may be wrong about this, but from what I know synergy was abandoned months ago in favor of the newer warm roms.
    marctronixx likes this.
  24. EVU

EVU Well-Known Member

Read some conflicting items about being able to remove bloatware?
    can some1 confirm either way?

On positive note - Preliminarily it appears the Sense Reboot bug has been fixed.
    I've tested it coming out of the web browser, Facebook app, Gallery (videos).

Need to test if camera bugs (torch mode, lockup reboot) is still there.
  25. ocnbrze

the only way to remove bloatware will be to root your phone.
    marctronixx likes this.