HTC EVO 4G recieves OTA update to 4.67.651.3

Last Updated:

1. LotsaBS

LotsaBS Member

There is a way to install the 4.67.651.3 OTA without loosing root but you have to meet the following criteria:

*You are rooted but still using the original odexed stock HTC/Sprint Rom
    *You rooted your phone before the previous update (OTA 4.54.651.1) with Unrevoked and have verified that you have S-OFF. (Revolutionary may also work, but is untested)
    *You are using Amon RA recovery (Clockwork may work too, but is untested)

Here is how:
    First, do a nandroid...always do a nandroid
    Be sure that any apps that you froze or deleted have been restored
    Download the OTA, but DO NOT INSTALL IT YET
    Move the OTA from the /cache folder (where it downloads to) to the root directory on your SD card
    Boot into recovery (Amon RA) and flash the OTA
    Verify the OTA installed properly and check to see that Fastboot is disabled
    ReInstall Amon RA recovery-the OTA will probably break it, so it needs to be reinstalled.
    ReFlash your Superuser file (PC36IMG.zip) from Amon RA recovery
    Done!

Note that the bootloader installed by the new OTA will show as locked (***LOCKED (00W)***), but that has not seemed to have any negative impact, your phone will still be rooted and you can still boot to your installed recovery. Any apps that require root access will operate just fine. Hopefully HTC will be adding the Evo 4G to the bootloader unlock list so you can unlock it in the near future.

Advertisement
    Mcoupe and marctronixx like this.
  2. wolf_walker

wolf_walker Well-Known Member

My cam is good so far, and the phone is snappier for lack of a better term. I haven't really run it down but I notice the Display is at the top of the list again for battery usage, and it seems to be not as good as it was. Time will tell I guess.
  3. Gary Friderichsohn

Gary Friderichsohn Active Member

I can't say my phone feels snappier, but the Androd apps now auto update themselves. They were messed up for awhile. I also don't subjectively notice better battery life.
    denise1768 and marctronixx like this.
  4. EVU

EVU Well-Known Member

I can confirm that Sense is no longer rebooting after using any other app or function.
    After putting it through my variance 'stress' tests, it bounced back to the home page with no issues.

The camera seems to be working great too & no longer freezes & reboots!

took 8 months but finally HTC & SPCS did the fix.
    denise1768 and marctronixx like this.
  5. BamaInArk

BamaInArk Well-Known Member

Man these updates are sure targeted. I texted a buddy this morning after reading of the update last night. When he got the text popup the update alert was underneath. His girlfriends EVO also got the update. He lives on the south side of town. I've been trying for 24 hours and nothing yet!
    marctronixx likes this.
  6. Gobbymann

Gobbymann Member

Came through when I checked my phone this morning.

Andriod Version 2.3.5

Software Version 4.67.651.3
    marctronixx likes this.
  7. BamaInArk

Well crap. Finally got the update notice today. When I told it to download and install apparently nothing happened. I thought it at least downloaded the update but can't find it on the phone anywhere. Now I don't get the update notice again. Grrrrr!
  8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

just to make sure that you checked to see what software version you have, correct? settings/about phone/software info. it should be android os 2.3.5
    marctronixx likes this.
  9. BamaInArk

Yes, checked all that. Even rebooted twice(pulled battery on 2nd reboot). I don't think the phone rebooted during the update process which makes me think something went wonky during the upgrade and didn't actually update anything.
    marctronixx likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

have you tried the check update option in the settings? you might not get the update notice, but you can make the phone look for an update and get it to download that way again.
    marctronixx likes this.
  11. BamaInArk

Yes...using the "Check Now" button to force a check. That's the only way it has appeared in the first place. Still show Android Version as 2.3.3 and Software number as 4.54.651.1. I'm all stock and not rooted.
    marctronixx likes this.
  12. wolf_walker

wolf_walker Well-Known Member

Look in the Download folder/link and see if it's sitting there, if so run it.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  13. fletch007

fletch007 Member

Since the update my twitter app won't sync contacts, says "experiencing problems". As a result I am not getting notifications of new tweets. Am I the only one? Is it related to the update?
  14. ocnbrze

try going into the managing app settings and clear cache and even data for the twitter app.
    fletch007 and marctronixx like this.
  15. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

How disappointing...
  16. fletch007

fletch007 Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I cleared data, but their was nothing in the cache to clear. Still no notifications of new tweets and the sync problem exists.

The app is stored on my sd card, maybe I should move it.

Not sure if the issue is related to the update or not, but it did start after I updated.
  17. fletch007

fletch007 Member

Well.....as my IT guy would say, it turned out to be an ID 10 T error as far as my notifications. For some reason after the update the twitter app wasn't sending notifications, box was unchecked, swear I checked that. Sync error still exists, but 1/2 way back now.
  18. tropicalsuns

tropicalsuns Member

After my update it declared update successful, however htc sense crashes on every load so the phone does not boot fully.

Any thoughts??

Thanks. Non rooted origional phone. Anything I can try other than hard reset?
  19. egor0128

egor0128 New Member

so im brand new here and i dont know much about root i got this latest update can i still root???
  20. mikem0269

mikem0269 Well-Known Member

ocnbrze likes this.
  21. watox69

watox69 Member

I'm way behind in updates? still on 2.2 The phone auto update prompt is
    question is do i have update in sequence one by one? and how long till next update prompts again? :eek: :confused:
  22. tacehtxilef

tacehtxilef New Member

After the update, my phone is acting up. My wifi resets often and now noticed Maps and Market app disappeared. How can I get apps back without Google market?
  23. ocnbrze

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!
    well you can't without the market. try doing a factory reset.
  24. JeffreyC

JeffreyC New Member

Got the update here in Phoenix, Arizona yesterday.

After updating, I could no longer connect to my work's Exchange server. A reboot fixed that.

But, NOW, my calendar (and only the Calendar on the Exchange account) is syncing over and over and over. You see the Sync icon on the toolbar flash on, then off. You go into Settings and Accounts and you can see Calendar constantly updating.

Guess I'll be calling Sprint later. :-(
  25. JeffreyC

JeffreyC New Member

Updates:

> It looks like deleting and re-adding the Exchange account fixed my "Calendar syncing over and over" issue. Keeping my fingers crossed! [Which makes typing tought! ;-)]

> Wow - they completely changed the Market place!