HTC Evo 4G Take Apart and Repair GuideTips

1. repairsuniverse

repairsuniverse Well-Known Member

Hi,

We have just produced our take apart repair guide for the Sprint HTC Evo 4G which we thought would be helpful for those needing to repair their phone or are wanting to know more what's under the hood. We have had a lot of people requesting this who needed to disassemble their phone to install replacement parts. We go through the process step by step and provide details of which tools are required.

You can view our guide here - Sprint HTC Evo 4G Take Apart Repair Guide

Please let us know if you have any questions or recommendations for improving the guide.

Paul Weatherley

Advertisement
    kct1975, amr1787, ocnbrze and 8 others like this.
  2. kegacide

kegacide Well-Known Member

with my broken evo maybe i'll open it up and poke around, try to fix my problems once i get my new one...
  3. repairsuniverse

We have just received the HTC EVO 4G Housing replacements for those who have damaged or broken there housing. We have the full housing which includes battery cover, front housing, and the red mid chassis.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. IMnobody

IMnobody Member

Has anyone else gotten brave enough to try any component level repairs to the EVO 4G.
    I've got two that are good candidates.

"Tony Stark, made this in a cave, with a box of rocks!!!"

This is an example "extreme repair" for those with surface mount soldering skills, a good professional soldering, and or, de-soldering station equipment, a large "lite" magnifying lens, a lot of patents, and a very steady hand, only!!

The First:
    I need a "2WCA Wide LCD Connector" please??? or a source for it.
    I went through 2 so called "LCD Repair Kits" off eBay (most likely pulls from broken units), on this first phone, that has a bad connector.

The first:
    Bad connector LCD.

Symptoms:
    It would displayed the "Video", but, the "Back Light" would not light up. So after deciding it was a true logic board issue, I almost gave up. But, not liking to be beat out of, now, a couple hundred bucks, I decided to try one more time.
    So, on the third try, I found another seller with a "NEW Repair Kit" (the plastic still covered the screen and buttons).
    This one worked, but, at first the color was funky. Tapping the case would correct the color problem. So, for now, I wedged a piece of a small Nylon zip tie, under the cable, to force the cable to make a better connection. I'm not thrilled, but it works.
    I'd like to find a new connector and replace the busted one.

The Second:
    About the same as the first, only it's the digitizer connector port, that's broken.
    Symptoms:
    Erratic touch pad, missing several keys on keyboard operation. Flipping from vertical to horizontal correct about half the problem, but that's not good enough. The connector needs replaced.

How to:
    After Replacing 2 busted switched on other HTC phones, (IE: The HTC ERIS, uses the same exact "Power and Volume Switch Buttons" as the EVO 4G).
    I've come to the conclusion, that in this small of working area, the most likely, better approach, is to grind out, most of the old part.
    So, by using a "Dremel tool", grind down to where the lead connections, can be de-soldered individually, with a "Low Temp, ESD Soldering station" (to protect the pads from being over heated and pull away from the board).
    By adding and removing solder to the pads, a couple times, this helps to condition the pads to accept the new part. Also tin the new parts leads.
    I don't think the OEM using a standard 60/40 type solder, like we find at Ratshack. A little solder paste helps to re-tin the pads, (but, it too, needs to be cleaned off, after the repair is complete.

So, if anyone out there's got an absolutely dead EVO 4G logic board they have no use for, please keep me in mind.

IM
    hunsk likes this.
  5. nheni

nheni New Member

I replaced the speakers (both front and rear). Tear down maps helped a lot, but a small black rubber cube (1x1x2 mm) fell off the motherboard somewhere. I assume it is a vibration damper for something. Any idea where this goes?
  6. repairsuniverse

Be sure to also check out our Evo 4G video repair guide which can be used in the correlation with this written guide linked above.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  7. repairsuniverse

It's worth a shot! Hopefully our guide will help.