HTC EVO 4G vs iPhone 4G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. Jemster

Jemster Banned This Topic's Starter

Well both phones coming in almost same time and both will use advance OS version of phone and based on current information I made small compression between two phones which will be helpful for you to choose best phone:

Advertisement
  2. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

Until any info about the iPhone HD comes out its kind of hard to draw a comparison, no? Absolutely nothing (besides OS 4) is solid, and there's no way of knowing if the one found out in public wasn't even just a prototype or what.

3. aaronscool

aaronscool Active Member

I'm pretty sure the one that's been out was the real summer phone. The problem is we don't know many of the HW details under the hood. Processor? Screen Resolution? Camera Resolution? Network? 720p video?

Those questions aside I don't think the new iPhone will really best the EVO in any of these categories and will likly fall a bit short in a least a few. Add to that the increasingly closed environment Apple wants to maintain and I'm eager to ditch my current iPhone 3G for something else.

4. Hurricane350

Hurricane350 Active Member

I think you mean iPhone G4 (as in Generation 4)

5. chriscrasto

chriscrasto Well-Known Member

Lemme break it down for ya...

Specs: EVO > iPhone
    Features: EVO > iPhone
    Carrier: EVO > iPhone
    Looks: EVO > iPhone
    Price: EVO > iPhone
    Camera: EVO > iPhone
    Screen: EVO > iPhone
    Company: HTC > Apple
    Fanboys: EVO < iPhone

Any questions?

6. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

Kickstand: Evo > iPhone.

:p

So-Low Da Don likes this.
  7. anexanhume

anexanhume Well-Known Member

A4 (just like the iPad)
    960x640
    5 MP
    AT&T
    Yes

The above is all based on rumors. I'm not just guessing.

8. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

I will be very sad/happy if it's 960x640 (which I doubt, especially on a ~3.4" screen). I will be sad to not have it, and happy that it will push the market forward.

9. LS1

LS1 Well-Known Member

Carrier? Looks? OS? Camera? All speculative horsecrap.

10. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

Looks is not speculative, though it is subjective. Carrier is not speculative, nor is it truly subjective. OS is semi-speculative, and semi-subjective. Android is, in general, superior. The camera is definitely speculative.

11. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

Technically, as long as it is just a rumor, you are still just guessing. You are guessing that the rumors are true. ;)

12. LisaFitz

LisaFitz Well-Known Member

Just had a quick spat with a co-worker today about this very topic, although he knew nothing about the EVO when he heard it was landing on Sprint he laughed, my comment to that was just another apple fanboy for ya, and oh yeah how many missed texts and called did you not get today :D ... yeah AT&T is sooo great

Anyway EVO all the way as I have never been a fan of ATT or the Iphone from day one -

13. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

Best.Post.Ever

kwaping likes this.
  14. So-Low Da Don

So-Low Da Don Well-Known Member

960 X 640 on such a small sreen will not be as good as you think

15. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

I disagree.

16. skinnyguy

skinnyguy Well-Known Member

17. pcsperson

pcsperson Well-Known Member

I Agree, with you. I sort wanted to have the choice in resolution. Something bigger than the current rumors. But seems to be my only want

18. akayareal

akayareal Well-Known Member

No way to tell until the final product roles out. I was never really a big fan of the iphone (i do have a mac so i dont dislike apple).

You know what the 2 biggest sells for me are for the Evo? 1) Im already on Sprint and not big for switching carriers just for a phone 2) Even though ill have to give up my legacy plan to get the phone, the 450min plan is still cheaper (especially after discounts) than what I would pay on ATT (which was my 1st carrier before the Cingular buyout).

I wont be surprised if Apple drops another heavy hitter in the form of the Iphone but it would seem that Sprint really has a phone that can hold its ground against all the top dogs this time around.

19. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

I thought that Gizmodo said in the teardown that the cover over the processor was small enough that an A4 processor wouldn't fit under there.

20. aaronscool

aaronscool Active Member

Not really they said they really had no clue as they couldn't remove the heat cover with out damaging it.

21. aaronscool

aaronscool Active Member

Apple (and others) are pretty big on the dots per inch metric which if that resolution is true would put the new iPhone on top of any phone on the market for that category.

For me screen size AND dpi matter and between the two I'd skew more towards size (bigger)

22. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Hard to pit these two phones against each other because the speed and services are tied to the carriers. In that case in existing strong signal 3G service areas, GSM/ATT wins if iPhone is matched to it. Where there's 4G, Wimax/Evo combo looks more potent. I don't see it as a fair comparison if you put both phones in their respective best operating environment because that amounts to 4G vs 3G. I'm not going to say both phones are so far apart that they can't be compared, but either phone on Wimax vs 3G just isn't a fair comparison.

Perhaps it might be better to think of as which would you rather have than which is better. Then I think the lines become more clear. I'd rather have the Evo for all the reasons it's not iPhone OS- and ATT-tied. If another more powerful, 3G data-intensive device comes out on ATT, I'm just not sure how that network will handle it. Could be a different story if it was VZW, but I don't see Apple going against ATT exclusivity until LTE comes into play. ATTs off to a slow LTE start, and I think some unexpected, rapid rollouts will be a sign that they're in the running for the LTE-compatible iPhone.

23. chriscrasto

chriscrasto Well-Known Member

Looks is my personal opinion. Camera is an obvious, read the specs iPhone has nothing on it. Android pwns iPhone OS.

My personal opinions guys, please don't get so offended that the EVO is gonna kick the iPhone's butt.

24. aaronscool

aaronscool Active Member

I like to be fair and objective as I'm about to make a decision that I'll live with for the next 1-2 years. I've been and Iphone 3G user since it launched and was unbeatable for a solid 18 months. Now that Android devices are coming on line as well as WinMo 7 hardware specs and software specs are starting to make this much more of a horserace. My predictions:

1. No matter what iPhones are going to dominate the worldwide market for the next two years.
    2. Android as a whole will make a strong showing in US and maybe EU market share but no single device will match iPhone sales.
    3. Android phones will always have an edge on pure HW specs as HTC, Samsung and Motorola will be much faster to market than Apple's annual launches.
    4. iPhones will win most of the time for "usability". This is because they are laser focused on the total package of HW, Software, Apps and putting the user on rails as to what they can and can't do.

Having come from older Windows Mobile days a wide open platform lets users shoot themselves in the foot far more often

25. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but for people like me, I would rather be able to do more things than to have less risk. When iPhone came out I would have had to give up way too much for that "usability"...stuff like 3G, GPS, MMS, copy/paste, multitasking, and god knows what else. The newer ones closed the gap a little but there was always something else that did everything I needed while costing a lot less on better carriers.

For me, the tradeoff of a little more stability and more games, soundboards, toys, etc. for major features I use on a regular basis wasn't worth it. The main point lacking on some other devices was that nice big glass screen but the newer phones are catching up to Apple on the form-factor/build stuff the way Apple is catching up to others in terms of plain old capability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.