HTC EVO - Battery Life Guide - 41hoursTips

Last Updated:

1. kinger

kinger New Member This Topic's Starter

After using my EVO for a month now, I recently was able to achieve 41 hours of battery life, yet still not loosing the power the phone has to offer. Wanted to share, hope it helps any who are having problems.

[​IMG]

Light to Medium use achieved 41 hours of life without recharging once. Obviously more browsing, chatting, etc will make the battery die faster.

Rooted phone modification to improve battery life and allow SetCPU to work and wireless tether for a free hot spot. Love shoving that 30$/m fee in sprints face.

SetCPU application installed and configured which is the real battery saver.

Phone Settings:

Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks
    Off - 4G (not in my area)
    Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks
    Off - Enable always-on mobile data (I have had no problems turning this off, and it has increased battery life.)

On - GPS
    Off - Wifi (Only use when I want too.)
    Off - Bluetooth (Only use when I want too.)

Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync
    Unchecked programs I do not want synced, such as Stocks.
    Gmail is synced for calendar, contacts, gmail at default settings.
    Others I adjusted the time they update to 4 or so hours.

Brightness set to automatic.
    Using star field live wallpaper with slow stars/speed.
    Using friend stream gadget, full sized news gadget, calendar gadget, time gadget, bookmarks gadget, youtube gadget.

All other settings are normal/stock.

[​IMG]

Rooting HTC EVO:
    If you cant risk loosing everything on your phone, you will want to search how to backup your phone before rooting. I did not, and lost nothing that was stored on the SD card, but everything on the phone. Contacts etc synced with google so they were fine.

I will not go in depth myself on the root process, but following these two guides in order will accomplish everything you need and your phone will be 100% functional. I have had no problems.

SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition by jiqqaman.

Super User (su-2.1-e-unsecure) by whitslack .

SetCPU Profiles

You can buy this from the app store very cheap, or register and visit xda-developers to get it free.

[​IMG]

Settings were suggested by pingpongboss.

Guide originally posted on www.helbreath.info

Advertisement
    vmbgap, DarkNeo and taz92 like this.
  2. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member

excellent thanks

3. Sim-X

Sim-X Well-Known Member

Good job, I'm pretty happy with my battery life. 1 charge per day is fine with me.

4. bullshark

bullshark New Member

n00b question here...

To ROOT using your links, do BOTH jiqqaman and whitslack steps need to be followed? Or is it one or the other? It looks like they both accomplish the same thing..

If I run SimpleRoot, why go for whitslack steps next?

Thanks for the kick ass information!

5. taz92

taz92 Well-Known Member

Thanks alot for this. Ive gotten 2 days 10 hours unplugged by using the account sync tip.

6. MDbandit

MDbandit Well-Known Member

im rooted
    ad have set cup
    and getting now where near 3 days
    i cant even get a full day
    i have no clue how you guys are getting this type of battery life even tho we all have the same phones and im using the recommended battery-save settings that you great long lasting evo folks have

only thing i change from ready this (because already had root and setcup) was the account syncs. I had NO idea the evo sync stocks and mail. I mean like what/where does it sync it to? I dont have any stocks listed so was wondering what this acutally does

7. hellow0rld

hellow0rld Well-Known Member

would this work on froyo 2.2?

8. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

Thanks for the credit on the setcpu profiles. I'm using them on cyanogenmod froyo and they're working great.

9. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

At 4% Android System use, looks like your phone is basically in standby for 3 days at that percentage.

The Dorian likes this.
  10. The Dorian

The Dorian Well-Known Member

I'm getting so sick of these threads.

YOU'RE NOT FREAKING USING YOUR PHONE. ANY BATTERY WILL LAST FOREVER IF IT'S NOT BEING USED.

non3ko, eric3316 and christopher561 like this.
  11. Klaskimo

Klaskimo Member

I agree with some other users on this thread. If you use your evo like it's supposed to be used (playing games, using high powered apps, and treating it like the entertainment powerhouse it is you won't have great battery life). Of course if I watch a few hours of sprint tv I won't have good battery life. I know there are things you can do, but I don't see how anyone can get more than 30 hours with moderate use.
    Also you said to turn off enable always on mobile data. A lot of apps use this (especially radio apps like espn radio and A online radio) and you will notice them pausing and skipping a lot more with this turned off.

12. Haris

Haris Well-Known Member

MDBandit, the original post stated he was using his Evo "light to medium use" bascially. Maybe you're using your phone more than him? Just a thought...

13. kinger

kinger New Member This Topic's Starter

@bullshark
    I needed to use the 2nd guide to get the super root permissions that allowed Wireless Tether to work. I am sure there are better methods that I am aware of.

@Klaskimo
    I research the always on mobile data use and did not see that comment anywhere else, since I dont stream radio on my phone (often at all) that would make sense why I did not notice an issue turning it off.
    --

My guide/post was just what I found to be adequate settings for how I use my phone. By no means will you get 3 days of use if you use the phone alot, most of the time my phone is sitting in my pocket, occasionally checking email or a text and other random things. I found these settings to preserve my battery life without turning off alot of features that makes the phone good (live wallpapers, gadgets, etc). Before using the majority of those settings my phone would die much faster even with the small amount of use I put it through.

This is just informational (proof of concept) from the prospective of someone who uses their phone lightly, sorry if it has upset some lol.

To sum up everything, SetCpu (which you need root for) is the best app to preserve battery life I have found. Under any circumstances without being intrusive.

I am new to the android world and wanted to give back. :)

14. sp3lly

sp3lly New Member

So I know I am a super noob, just getting the EVO yesterday -- upgrading from two years with the original Instinct (whose voice call quality is superior, but that is a tangent).

Anyway, what exactly is "rooting" your phone. And tethering your phone? And how does any of this save battery life?

15. Chaco

Chaco Well-Known Member

i have managed to get so far 23 hrs on moderate use and still have 23% left
    hard reset, useless stuff off, CMDA PRL trick

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

16. vmbgap

vmbgap Member

Thanks, was able to use a couple of the suggestions.

17. gus616

gus616 Member

not as bad as i thought it would be. left if unplugged overnight(about 7hrs) and still had 95% battery. i did some moderate usage of phone and text and email, a good amount of internet browsing. lots of downloading and installing from Market and then trying out the programs. i don't know if its unfortunate or not, but i just got my EVO with Android 2.2, and it looks like there isn't a ROOT for it yet, cause i can't wait to start playing around with it and seeing if i can get the battery to last a day with some tweaks.

18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

19. gus616

gus616 Member

Thanks for the info I'll look into it.update on battery life, no root, lasted 23hrs,6hrs the night before, slept and left it unplugged,8hrs,then useda little during the day.only minimal use as a phone, maybe a game or 2 of home run battle 3d. And it lasts for 4.5 hrs with heavy use.i had avatar playing and when the movie was done I was down to 33%.played some games.heavy use, barely even let the backlight go out.

20. DroidDavi

DroidDavi Well-Known Member

I learned somthing really important with these threads everyone uses there phone different you might say heavy usage is

30 txt
    15 min of calls
    a little browsing

LOL nope here is me

75 txt maybe more
    like 5 min calls lol no one talks on these ''phones''
    10 emails
    mp3 for an hour at the gym
    gps when i run to track my runs
    gps id i need directions
    facebook and twitter though out the day
    45 min browsing
    little bit of gaming

you can say i am over heavy but i use my phone and with my calibrations and settings i get a day of use also minding you that i cant have my phone on my at work so its turned off in my locker so that 8 hours not to count

21. jcandroid

jcandroid Member

3500 mah battery and an external charger gives me the same results with everything on except 4g

22. kkhuu

kkhuu New Member

not sure if anyone is noticing this.. i charge my phone to full and turn it completely off before going to bed around 2 am.. then i wake up at around9 am to turn my phone back on and noticed that my battery had drained to half. i tested this out for two days and it does the same.. can someone try this and then let me know if its doing it to your phone too?

23. kesroesweyth

kesroesweyth Member

Here's a tip I found that made a big difference on my phone. Hope this helps you guys like it helped me!

HTC EVO: Excellent battery life tip

Also, this is not spam, though it is my first post. Long time lurker here, registered to offer my two cents on this issue. :)

24. scotchjeff

scotchjeff New Member

I think we could all look at our monthly bill and figure out what type of user we are.

I use about 4500 min per month
    I get about 2000 emails from my exchange server
    Send/receive about 1500 txt mags
    About 250MB of data, no tethering

The numbers above are why I am forced to use a blackberry...I tried a Charm for about a week...the extended battery would get me to lunch.

25. kesroesweyth

kesroesweyth Member

You aren't forced to use a Blackberry, you just see better battery life with one based on your usage.

Why so many minutes? My EVO lasts me all day, and I use much more of everything than you do, especially data. However, I don't use nearly as many minutes because I hate talking on the phone. Something like 2000 maybe.

Phone conversations take a toll on the EVO battery more than my old Tour, but everything else is comparable.

kesroseweyth likes this.