• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Evo Complaints

Do you want to put in the words you want to put in or do you want spell check?
Well just like when you use Word or Outlook, spell check is much better. When typing fast, at times if you hit the wrong key or spell something wrong it will try and guess the word. Often, it guesses wrong. With spell check it will say these are wrong and offer suggestions. With predective text I have to keep looking at what it is suggesting and to me is slower. I could type must faster on a Blackberry.

Upvote 0
Well just like when you use Word or Outlook, spell check is much better. When typing fast, at times if you hit the wrong key or spell something wrong it will try and guess the word. Often, it guesses wrong. With spell check it will say these are wrong and offer suggestions. With predective text I have to keep looking at what it is suggesting and to me is slower. I could type must faster on a Blackberry.

Word and Outlook are on a PC... There's a huge difference there.

Upvote 0
A lot of your "problems" have solutions.

4. Why is there no actual spell check and not predictive typing? It really slows me down to have to always double check what the system is changing my words to, example Yoda becomes soda. If you turn it off, you get nothing.
Type a word. Yoda, for example. It doesn't recognize it, right? Want to add it? Notice the list of words that pops up above the text entry field? Tap the word "Yoda" that popped up there, BEFORE you press the space key. That's how you add a word. Not complicated...
5. Why is there no backup feature?
There are quite a few backup apps available for download. Looks like the best one is "Titanium Backup". It requires root access.
6. There needs to be better control of apps on your phone. I have set stocks and a few others to not update automatically but they do it anyway.
I don't really know what to say to this one. I have several apps set to not update, and they just... don't update.
7. There needs to be some way to disable or at least hide icons you don't use. There is already enough apps I have to scroll through without seeing Nascar and others I don't use nor want.
Root. You can get rid of the unnecessary apps that way. Otherwise, set up your home screens with all of the applications/widgets you need. Then you never HAVE to go into the "all apps" folder.
9. It would be nice to have a light for my HD camcorder, doesn't work all that well in low light.
I think I read an article about how to get the light to turn on while you use the video camera. I'll see if I can dig it up again.
11. You can't change the default greeting on the locked screen. All other phones you can. All it says is Sprint, so if you lose your phone your out of luck if you have a locked pattern.
Pretty sure this also can be fixed with root. Pretty sure there also are several apps that allow you to put your name on the lock screen. Just search the market...

Upvote 0
For about the last 6 years or so I have had some kind of smart phone. I have had Blackberries and Palms. I thought I would give Android a try. There are some things about the OS that are nice, but there are some things that are way to hard to do or things you can't do at all. For example:

By the way I am using a HTC Evo with Android 2.1

1. Why can't you simply save an email message with a POP account? You can move it to another folder but can't simply create a new folder called saved. No Idea
2. The default news reader is nice, but why can't you select all to delete? Deleting one by one is insane. Might want to try a different rss reader from the market
3. When taking a picture, why can't I move that pictures to a new folder, instead of leaving it in the camera folder? There are apps on the market that let you view the files on the sd card in folder form to do as you please with them.
4. Why is there no actual spell check and not predictive typing? It really slows me down to have to always double check what the system is changing my words to, example Yoda becomes soda. If you turn it off, you get nothing. You can add words to the auto correct, type the word, it will be first on the list, select it , bam phone will save it and will not change it again.
5. Why is there no backup feature? No complete all in one solution I have found yet because I wondered about this as well.
6. There needs to be better control of apps on your phone. I have set stocks and a few others to not update automatically but they do it anyway. Check your sync and app settings I dont have this issue.
7. There needs to be some way to disable or at least hide icons you don't use. There is already enough apps I have to scroll through without seeing Nascar and others I don't use nor want. Carrier icons cannot be removed without rooting, take advantage of the different home screens man jeez.
8. Battery life has to be improved. I mobile device I have to always keep plugged in is useless. That might be hardware but also might be the apps trying to update, I set to don't update. Battery life is so so but this phone is a monster however so maybe they should have put a stronger battery in the unit.
9. It would be nice to have a light for my HD camcorder, doesn't work all that well in low light. Never looked into it, there may be a market place solution for it.
10. No music over mono bluetooth option? You can start a phone call then click music and play it over your headset until you hang up. So it works so why don't I have that option all the time? Would be perfect for pod cast. The BT profile could be the cause of this, I am not a BT fan so not looking into this.. however you can do some research.
11. You can't change the default greeting on the locked screen. All other phones you can. All it says is Sprint, so if you lose your phone your out of luck if you have a locked pattern. Can be done with root

**And the biggest problem, no bluetooth voice dial???? Every phone I have had would do this, even the cheap ones I got for free. It is against the law in a lot of states to use the phone while driving, yet this phone does not support that feature???? Think this is an OS thing, but the google voice search can pull a contact up.

I know some might say that there might be an app for some of these things or that you can attach the phone to your PC to do some of them, but really these should be included by default. My older smart phones could do them, so shouldn't a "new" one be able to. So far I'm not too impressed with this phone but I don't know where the fault lies. With Sprint, HTC, or Android????

Sorry OP but I dont think Android is for you, everything is not out of the box like you think it could be... can I interest you in some Mudkips

Upvote 0

If you want to type faster use swype, or go back to a blackberry, this phone isn't for everyone and there is a learning curve but there is a ton of information out there you just have to look for it. All of your questions could have been answered by searching for them and you have 30 days to decide whether or not this phone, or any other android phone is for you or not, that's the beauty of it, you have choices and the ability to go back to an os you are used to if this isn't something you want.

Upvote 0

4. Why is there no actual spell check and not predictive typing? It really slows me down to have to always double check what the system is changing my words to, example Yoda becomes soda. If you turn it off, you get nothing.
Type a word. Yoda, for example. It doesn't recognize it, right? Want to add it? Notice the list of words that pops up above the text entry field? Tap the word "Yoda" that popped up there, BEFORE you press the space key. That's how you add a word. Not complicated...
There are quite a few backup apps available for download. Looks like the best one is "Titanium Backup". It requires root access.
6. There needs to be better control of apps on your phone. I have set stocks and a few others to not update automatically but they do it anyway.
I don't really know what to say to this one. I have several apps set to not update, and they just... don't update.
7. There needs to be some way to disable or at least hide icons you don't use. There is already enough apps I have to scroll through without seeing Nascar and others I don't use nor want.
Root. You can get rid of the unnecessary apps that way. Otherwise, set up your home screens with all of the applications/widgets you need. Then you never HAVE to go into the "all apps" folder.
9. It would be nice to have a light for my HD camcorder, doesn't work all that well in low light.
I think I read an article about how to get the light to turn on while you use the video camera. I'll see if I can dig it up again.
11. You can't change the default greeting on the locked screen. All other phones you can. All it says is Sprint, so if you lose your phone your out of luck if you have a locked pattern.
Pretty sure this also can be fixed with root. Pretty sure there also are several apps that allow you to put your name on the lock screen. Just search the market...
Not really wanting to root my phone, once you open a door it stays open which can be dangerous or will be lost with an update.

But thanks for the other suggestions.

Upvote 0
DAM unwallflower I was typing that wall o txt and u beat me ROFL, it seems the complaints about the software are from ppl that are lazy. EXAMPLE my step mom txt me complaining the phone does not have a google search link like her treo 800w did on the home screen.............I had to call her and ask her why didnt she just add the google search bar to the home screen OR use the search BUTTON on the phone... her response "I didnt know I could"... I asked her if she read the manual... she said no FACEPALM

Upvote 0
Blackberrys do it, why not Android?

If you really want to compare, there is a lot more things the Blackberry CAN'T do that the android can. Obviously you are happier with a Blackberry so you should really stop torturing yourself by carrying around the best phone out there and go back to that super fast rim device that is soooo much better.

Upvote 0
If you want to type faster use swype, or go back to a blackberry, this phone isn't for everyone and there is a learning curve but there is a ton of information out there you just have to look for it. All of your questions could have been answered by searching for them and you have 30 days to decide whether or not this phone, or any other android phone is for you or not, that's the beauty of it, you have choices and the ability to go back to an os you are used to if this isn't something you want.
You must be what they call a "Fan Boy". You act like I am talking about your Mom or something. I like the phone, but I think there are some simple things that could be included. I do have to admit I like Blackberrys but they have the worst browser in the world. I love the browser on this phone, but there are some things I don't like.

Reactions: StuartTX
Upvote 0

Wow, I admire your helpful attitude but you really can't help people that don't want to help themselves. Keep it up though, karma is a good thing
icon14.gif

Upvote 0
Some valid points. I don't have an EVO yet, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about various topics, and it's kind of scaring me away.

Don't pay attention to them... forums are always filled with people that bitch a lot. I love my EVO coming from an iPhone. I've had to tweak it a bit but now that it's tweaked it's an awesome, powerful thing.

Not saying the OP doesn't have any valid points, but don't make a judgement til you've used it.

Upvote 0
You must be what they call a "Fan Boy". You act like I am talking about your Mom or something. I like the phone, but I think there are some simple things that could be included. I do have to admit I like Blackberrys but they have the worst browser in the world. I love the browser on this phone, but there are some things I don't like.

No, actually rzenger was actually being quite helpful. That does not make him a "fan boy". You however, have been offered solution after solution and are still complaining. You are what we call a "troll."

Reactions: rzenger
Upvote 0
If you really want to compare, there is a lot more things the Blackberry CAN'T do that the android can. Obviously you are happier with a Blackberry so you should really stop torturing yourself by carrying around the best phone out there and go back to that super fast rim device that is soooo much better.
The only reason I compared was because someone acted like there is no way a phone can have spell check. I completely agree this phone does a lot of things better and does a lot really well. My post was about why it couldn't do simple things like move a picture, put your name on a screen, save an email. Not about who has the best features.

Upvote 0

I am nowhere near what they call a "FANBOY" the problem is, and most other members agree, is that there is a TON of info on here that people have spent their time providing and threads like this one show up because people are too lazy to do the research on their own. All of your answers are on here you just have to look for them instead of creating a pissed off thread about what your blackberry could do that this phone can't. I had a blackberry and loved it at the time, however, I've found that the android system has a million more possibilities and have taken the time to do my homework and learn the phone, something that would probably help you out too.

Upvote 0
No, actually rzenger was actually being quite helpful. That does not make him a "fan boy". You however, have been offered solution after solution and are still complaining. You are what we call a "troll."
Ok, tell me how to press my headset and voice dial. Play music over the mono headset like when on a call, change the name on the lock screen. I have been told to root my phone what kind of answer is that? You don't like your phone void the warranty.

Upvote 0
That is a "real" suggestion, thank you.

I've given you the best real suggestion of all and that is do your homework, take advantage of all of the information that people on these forums have been kind enough to take time out of their live to provide to people, that is why there is a search bar at the top of the page. I wasn't trying to be a dick but when people start these threads ranting about things that there are easy fixes for clogging up the forums it gets a little ridiculous. The answers are there, people have taken time to provide the info, now take some of your time and do some research, I'm sure after you do you'll wonder how you ever carried that blackberry for so long.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones