• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC EVO Design 4G - All Carriers - Root guide

That's odd. I submitted the exact code that you posted, and it has now successfully sent me your unlock key. I will PM you with your file and the next instructions.

Edit: Mikessv, I don't think it will have flashed your PH44IMG.zip folder without having unlocked the bootloader. But can you remember any text or messages that appeared while doing so? Usually, after about a minute or two, it asks you if you want to perform an update. But I've never tried with the bootloader locked. Did you get that prompt?

Reactions: Mikessv
Upvote 0
I am sorry about the issues you are having. I guess there are some kinks in the method I provided. I am looking into what methods work best. Not having a stock phone, I don't hear about when OTA updates come out, and it seems they cause more problems than I realized (or at least I assume that's where some issues come from).

Here is a link to a thread that offers a stock option for you:
http://androidforums.com/evo-design...78-root-stock-rooted-rom-no-cwm-required.html

Its in the first post, but towards the bottom of it. I recommend reading the whole post, and skimming through following posts.

Reactions: Mikessv
Upvote 0
This is assuming you used the root only method?I am looking into a couple things that may cause some problems from updating. So yes, for now avoid them. I think I read that the solution to the problems that comes from updating may be as simple as the method of installing the updates, though it may also involve editing a file or folder.

Also, not sure if this does the trick, but if you want to get rid of the notifications asking you to update, it may work to un-check that option under Settings>SystemUpdates>HTCSoftwareUpdate. The option to deselect would be the only one in that menu, called scheduled check. Just make sure not to hit the button at the bottom afterwards.

Glad to hear its working!

Edit: Nice car bro!

Reactions: KELK
Upvote 0
Did you use the root only section of the guide? If so, I have it posted that the root only section is only for Boost Mobile phones. I can try to work with the file though, to change the cid. I think the difference between the Boost cid and the Sprint cid is a single digit. I believe Boost is something like 0003 and Sprint is 0001

Edit: If you're using the root only section of this guide, here is the fix. Open up PH44IMG.zip using the software 7zip (do not decompress, only open with the program I mentioned). Then, using the software Notpad++ (not the regular Notepad that comes with Windows), open up the file labeled android-info.txt, and on the second line you will see cidnum: SPCS_003. What you need to do is change the three to a one. So it will look like cidnum: SPCS_001.
I'm not positive that will work for sure. That is something I think I remember from another thread. If it does work, I cannot vouch for it running like a Sprint phone, but it will work on the Sprint Design.

PS: If you are trying to flash the ROM from 2fast, you should not be receiving a cid error. Not only are you not flashing that file, but when he made the ROM, he made it so it would automatically check the cid to flash the correct carrier's information. I recommend his ROM over the hboot root only method included in this guide. The reason I included that method was because I know that some people will not care to do any more than root their device to run a specific app.

Reactions: jamesrmacy
Upvote 0
Not to be disrespectful how ever I would like for you to quit uploading stuff of mine to your own servers with misc edits. As I clearly recall mentioning if someone doesn't tell me about a ota. I won't know about it in here. For recovery updates and downloads you should have searched. The release thread is here http://androidforums.com/evo-design...-5-0-2-8-htc-design-4g-heros-aka-kingdom.html Also pay attention to the big red letters of no uploading somewhere else. If a file needs updated tell me so, otherwise it won't get updated.

As for the kernel I would prefer you didn't link to the download but the thread of the release so people know what they are flashing. What was updated and similar. The thread will also get updated when I post something new. With you using the direct link it means you need to manually update the link to reflect the download.

As for the rom I would care for you to not put files in it and reupload it. I don't know what you are changing or if you will bork something else. It will then go into the release thread where I will be scratching my head trying to figure out where issues are coming from. If you have a fix put it in a flashable zip in your guide. Edit: Actually no one will be posting in the release thread do not knowing about it. As again you direct linked to it, I don't know about anyone else. How ever I myself and a few others will not flash something not knowing what it is. Which I highly recommend to follow.

A few reasons for me bringing it up is my site is updated more then anywhere else. If you post direct links people won't know of a update. Also I use my download system to monitor downloads, if downloads slack off, I will quit doing updates for that file. The other thing is my host won't stop downloads happening like dropbox will. If the file gets downloaded to much where bandwidth raises. They will stop the download of that file. I also gave you permission to use my stuff in your guide as that was what you asked. I never gave permission to re-upload the stuff with fixes in it.

Upvote 0
Hey, I really appreciate you letting me reference your work, 2fast. You have a lot of valid points that I didn't even think about. I was in a rush to get out the door and start all this marriage stuff, and I didn't take the time to think about the consequences of how I was going about things. I have a rehearsal starting in ten minutes, but I will get those issues fixed tonight.

Upvote 0
Your root worked like a charm. But I am new to android phones in general, I wanted to ask u should i avoid the system software updates, bc i was thinking that would undo the root process. Thank u though the zip file attached to the SD worked nice :car:

The update personally made my phone work horribly and I had to do a hard reset on the phone, so I wouldn't update it and turn the updating off.

Upvote 0
I tried your PH44IMG.zip on my htc boost design 4g and it didn't work I had the lastest firmware 1.11.653.3 and it says fail-PU for boot and system...
my CWM recovery isn't working either
E: Can't mount/ cache/ recovery/command
E: Can't mount/ cache/ recovery/Log
E:/ Can't Open/ cache/recovery/ log
E:/ can't mount/ cache/recovery/last_log
E:/ can't open/cache/ recovery/last_log

I can't restore it wont let me can anyone please help me. my phone won't work at all..

Does anyone have any ideas please

tried to use fastboot to reboot recovery but it too says FAILED <remote:signature verify fail?

Upvote 0
I tried your PH44IMG.zip on my htc boost design 4g and it didn't work I had the lastest firmware 1.11.653.3 and it says fail-PU for boot and system...

I can't restore it wont let me can anyone please help me. my phone won't work at all..

tried to use fastboot to reboot recovery but it too says FAILED <remote:signature verify fail?

kik you make sure to extract the .zip file before placing it in the root of your SD card?

Upvote 0
kik you make sure to extract the .zip file before placing it in the root of your SD card?

Do I make a folder called PH44IMG and extract them there then load them on hboot? I tried it with and without on hboot doesn't work.

on fastboot I tried the recovery img but doesn't work either

Nevermind, I got my phone exchanged for a new one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones