HTC EVO File Manager Ringtone Folder Permission

Last Updated:

1. CharlotteNCJen

CharlotteNCJen Member This Topic's Starter

I installed ASTRO and "File Manager" on my EVO so I can move downloaded ringtones and alerts from the "Downloaded" folder on my SD card to the "Ringtones" folder. However when I do a COPY or a MOVE and then try to paste it into the Ringtone folder, it either won't let me do it (PASTE is greyed out) or it tells me I have "insufficient permission." How can I grant myself "permission" to move alerts and ringtones into this folder?

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Are you referring to the /system/media/audio/ringtones folder - or a ringtones folder on your SD card?

Sorry to be dense. Just a good idea to stay out of the system folder unless you know what you're doing, that's why I asked.

If it's on your SD card, and you have some ringtone app that's maybe locking that folder (somehow), then you could connect your Evo to a PC, mount it as a disk drive, and copy/paste files around as you would a USB stick.

That said - inside Astro, do a long finger hold on that Ringtones folder, when you let up, it'll give a menu where you can select Details.

Permissions on a normal, user folder should be "drw" - I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Kindly report back, one of use will try to help further.

stJamesG likes this.
  3. CharlotteNCJen

CharlotteNCJen Member This Topic's Starter

Actually, I AM referring to the /system/media/audio/ringtones folder. That seems to be the only location my EVO's Settings (or the settings for each of the individual apps' notifications) will go to to allow me to choose a new alert sound or ringtone.

When I do a long finger hold on that Ringtones folder, the details info says, "dr-"

Is there any way I can CHANGE those permissions? Or is there any way I can browse to a folder on my SD card, to choose the sound I want from my SD card?

I also have this sinking feeling I will need Root access in order to do this. This may sound silly and naive, but is there some online instruction or course offered to learn how to safely Root your Android phone? I'd love to learn...

Thanks for your help (and advice)!

An aspiring phone geek,
    Jen :)

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

OK, gotcha - my bad - I forgot about this customization:.

1. You don't want to try mess with anything in /system at this point. It's called system because it's your actually phone stuff and more.

2. You DO want a free app from the Market called Rings Extended - it says: extend and look elsewhere besides /system.

Install that and then whenever you're prompted for a Ringtone or Notification or whatever, instead of just getting the boring menu you're getting now, you get an in-bewteen menu for choosing the system (via some alphabet soup named com.htc.app.HtcRingtonePickerActivity) - or Rings Extended - and Rings extended will let you get whatever music on the sdcard.

Hope that helps.