• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO HAS A FAULTY HEADPHONE JACK - That's why your FM radio doesn't work.

owl

Jun 5, 2010
...And maybe causing some of the other problems when headphones are plugged in too. I've posted about this in other threads, but I want to draw more attention to this. Of all issues HTC is making statements on, this is one that hasn't been acknowledged at all. I think most people just attribute it to poor reception when really it's just a flaw in the jack design. It seems to be the case in every 0003 I've come across, but I'm not 100% sure on the 0002s... Maybe we can get some input here.

When fully plugged in, the connector pin for antenna is not always touching a contact on your 3.5mm plug. Supposedly some headphones work, but there may be slight variations in the headphone plugs by manufacturer that would work. I've tried several sets... AKG, Skullcandy, Panasonic, Phillips, etc. and several Evos, they all have the same problem.

Try this: Turn on the FM radio without headphones. It'll ask you to plug headphones in to use as an antenna. Plug the headphones all the way in, until it snaps, and it'll start tuning... You'll then hear nothing but static OR get lousy reception that changes a lot when you move the headphone cables around, right?

Now, gently pull/twist the headphone plug out a tiny bit, past that snap, but not out so far that it turns the FM tuner off... TA-DA! Great reception!

It might be hard to do at first (you might pull it out too far and disconnect), and definitely too hard to keep in place to get any extended use out of it, but try it a few times. It'll at least prove that it's not reception or individual phones - it's a flaw in the cheap jack. I wonder how many, if not all phones were sold like this and whether they fixed it in the newest??

There is a fix you can do... you can take your back battery cover off, remove the little piece of tape covering the jack and bend the pin just a little into place...... But I'm not doing that yet -
I want HTC to do something about it. Unfortunately most people don't recognize this problem or just attribute it to lousy reception, etc.!

Another thought, I use professional Shure E-5 and Ultimate Ears UE7's that are designed to be used as in ear monitors for mixes coming off of a live mixer. I have to think these are designed to reject RF. The last thing you would want is for these to pick up unwanted RF in the middle of a show.

I would think that not every set of headphones or "in ears" is designed to also be the antenna. There may need to be some considerations taken when deciding on what may be comaptible. I know this does not address the partial unplug issue, which I also commented on up above, but just something esle to keep in mind.

Reactions: Bagua
Upvote 0
Unbelievable! Another issue. I had the wonky jack problem and applied the fix above, but I didn't think FM radio would be broken on 002 also. Looks like I might have to swap for 003 after all. :\

I have a 0003 and the FM radio gets zero reception...

tried 3 different headsets and the same reception with all of them. I have not tried the above remedy yet.

I just checked all the headsets I been using and they all have the TRRS cable

Ok, more more edit here... I just tried the "fix" of "...gently pull/twist the headphone plug out a tiny bit, past that snap, but not out so far that it turns the FM tuner off..." and I got reception.

Upvote 0
I have to say this is a sofware issue, if the headphone jack was screwed up you would get nothing out it when playing MP3's etc. Just another thing to add to the list for the next update.

I can play MP3's etc and listen thru the headphones great, but the FM kind of sucks.

Nothing a firmware or software update wont fix.

I just tried 3 different headphone the little ear plug type ones are crap no reception have to wiggle it just plugged in a SONY pair I have for home use model MDR-V100 FULL reception bars, its not your phones its your headphones.

Upvote 0
My findings version 02 with FM radio.
Bose in ear headphones do not work just static faint reception.
Apple in ear with mic do not work, faint reception a little better than the Bose.
10 year old over the ear headphones that came with the Archos 500 series player worked perfect. Excellent reception. I did notice these are a bit heavier than the others and the plug snapped in but was not flush with the body due to the chunky 90's design.

Conclusion could be type of headphones as a factor.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
ipod earbuds haven't worked very well. very long cable on a set of ultrasone HFI's have worked great. I don't think this is a jack problem as much as it is the ability for an individual set of headphones to work as antennas. When you pull the headphone connector out slightly, you are exposing more metal at the tip to RF frequencies, hence getting a better signal. You also are turning the single point of the headphone jack into the antenna instead of the second ring of the jack so close to the other trying to act as an antenna. FM frequenice work best with stretched antennas, AM with loop.

Want another way to get better reception. Take one headphone piece out of your ear and stretch is away from the one in your ear. Nice and clear!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones