• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO poor picture and poor sound quality

Nayogod

Lurker
Jul 9, 2010
I use to own a palm pre before I switched to HTC EVO. I think the evo is a great phone but the two things I missed so much about my palm pre is the camera and the sound qualities.
The EVO is said to use 8MP for its camera but honestly the camera quality is nothing compare to the palm pre. Simply put, the camera and the sound output on the evo sucks.
You can clearly notice the difference between the pictures I took using the pre and the evo. The pre gives far better picture quality and also better sound output. I always enjoy plays my sounds or using pandora on my pre, but with the evo the different is the case. The sound quality with the evo is horrible even when plugged to good speakers.
I bearly take picture with the evo because I am used to good picture quality with my pre.
I have had the evo for less than two weeks and i am seriously thinking of returning it because of these two issues.
I really want to know, is this poor picture and poor sound qualities a thing with the evo in general or is it just with the particular evo that I got.

Try tapping the screen on the part of the picture you want the best focus. That might help.

I've had amazing pictures come out (you have to realize it is not a DSLR).

That's probably why my pics were grainy. I tapped the screen to snap the pics, but that made it focus in an area too far in the background. That explains why my pics were grainy and had unknown artifacts in them.

The following are from our local Twin Peaks restaurant car wash (taken at lunch today):

Upvote 0
That's probably why my pics were grainy. I tapped the screen to snap the pics, but that made it focus in an area too far in the background. That explains why my pics were grainy and had unknown artifacts in them.

The following are from our local Twin Peaks restaurant car wash (taken at lunch today):

EVO....Pre.... Who cares! I wanna know where I can get my truck washed like that!!!!

Upvote 0
The biggest complaint I have with the camera is the AWB. The White balance on this is terrible - which is where that lovely blue tint came from in the images above...

If you set it up manually (usually sunny works best outdoors for me - and either flourescent or incandescent depending on lighting - works best indoors...) it works like a charm!

31526_1445754216783_1020964889_1303130_7004221_n.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok first I love my camera for what it is...second I play music through my bt car connection and bt headphones and quality far superior to the girlies iPhone and my previous instinct...... but most importantly.....does twin peaks do this every week? Cause I will totally drive to Mosquito from mckinney one a wwek if they do!
The pics are from the Twin Peaks restaurant in Mesquite, TX. That's how they suckered us into going twice a week for lunch instead of only Fridays :D.

Upvote 0
Ok first I love my camera for what it is...second I play music through my bt car connection and bt headphones and quality far superior to the girlies iPhone and my previous instinct...... but most importantly.....does twin peaks do this every week? Cause I will totally drive to Mosquito from mckinney one a wwek if they do!

They're doing car washes Wednesday-Friday for the summer.

If you're logged in at Facebook, go to the following links and you can see more of their photos: Twin Peaks Mesquite | Facebook

Upvote 0
yep the camera sucks unless it is in perfect conditions, so does the video camera. THe new iphone is better. And this comes from a person who wouldn't buy a new iphone. This phone, like any other has its strengths and weaknesses. I love the operating system, the large screen, froyo, etc. I love the camera IN PERFECT LIGHTING.

Upvote 0
The sound quality is outstanding with GOOD source material such as .wav files and NOT .mpg or .mp3s. I've played the original source and the same .wav copied into and played out of the evo in to my 24 channel mixer into broadcast quality speakers..it's exactly the same. Still, all mp3s are compressed and drop detail the things is the EVO plays the file exactly as it is so you are hearing the missing/compressed data.. I love the photos too.. it does not compate to the Canon 5D Mark II I own and use for work, but it's a great/excellent camera for many uses. best wishes, wws

Upvote 0
yep the camera sucks unless it is in perfect conditions, so does the video camera. THe new iphone is better. And this comes from a person who wouldn't buy a new iphone. This phone, like any other has its strengths and weaknesses. I love the operating system, the large screen, froyo, etc. I love the camera IN PERFECT LIGHTING.

I disagree, if you know how to set your camera, you can take good pictures even in less than perfect conditions, if conditions degrade even more, the evo will outshine the iPhone.

On the camcorder however, the evo sucks! and the iPhone's camcorder is a clear winner, especially with iPhone's better sound encoding.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
ok, evo camera pics can look decent if you shrink them down to 800px width. If you look at the image quality at full resolution, you'll see it's really grainy and noisy. All those 8mpx is just magnifying the crappy image. If only manufacturers would quit boosting megapixels (and if only consumers would learn that megapixels don't mean shit), we might be able to focus our efforts in improving the OPTICS of the camera.

canon-vs-evo.jpg

Canon 300D on the left (6mpx sensor). Evo on the right (8mpx sensor). See why megapixels don't matter?

Upvote 0
You are correct, the optics both lens and sensor are inferior to your SLR camera. But with a little tweaking at the settings, you should be able to get much better saturation with the Evo. You cannot compare a dedicated camera (SLR no less) to a camera phone. I don't know how much light you had when you took the picture, my suggestions to get better saturation is play with the settings.

You have Contrast, Saturation, sharpness, Brightness, ISO, White Balance, Metering.

Take multiple pictures of one subject and play with all those. If you continually take pictures with every lighting condition, you can avoid those washed out pic you showed.

I can't be sure, but try using ISO 200 brightness at 0, saturation +1, contrast +2, metering = center as a starting point. If the pictures comes out too dark, play with the settings again.

Just a note, I'm sure that the Canon 300D's sensor is at least 4 times bigger than the Evo's.... Totally no contest.... Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Just took a second look at your photos, I noticed that the leaves on the Evo is much more detailed than the leaves on your SLR. Probably the Evo wasn't focused right?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
You are correct, the optics both lens and sensor are inferior to your SLR camera. But with a little tweaking at the settings, you should be able to get much better saturation with the Evo. You cannot compare a dedicated camera (SLR no less) to a camera phone. I don't know how much light you had when you took the picture, my suggestions to get better saturation is play with the settings.

You have Contrast, Saturation, sharpness, Brightness, ISO, White Balance, Metering.

Take multiple pictures of one subject and play with all those. If you continually take pictures with every lighting condition, you can avoid those washed out pic you showed.

I can't be sure, but try using ISO 200 brightness at 0, saturation +1, contrast +2, metering = center as a starting point. If the pictures comes out too dark, play with the settings again.

Just a note, I'm sure that the Canon 300D's sensor is at least 4 times bigger than the Evo's.... Totally no contest.... Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Just took a second look at your photos, I noticed that the leaves on the Evo is much more detailed than the leaves on your SLR. Probably the Evo wasn't focused right?

My main point is that the Evo's 8mpx is really wasted because by nature of the small cell phone camera, the optics just aren't good enough to justify 8mpx. People here are complaining about a kernel that potentially caps the mpx to 3, and to that, I say, so what? You aren't sacrificing any image quality at 3mpx, and I'd wager that even at 1mpx, the weak link is still the optics.

Comparison of sensor size between the dSLR and the Evo is irrelevant because the focal lengths are not the same. The Evo's lens is extremely close to the sensor, so the cone of light is extremely small. In fact, this is exactly the reason why small (thin) cameras will always struggle to produce a sharp image. Chromatic aberration, glows, and other optical distortion artifacts will be more prominent. Again, my point is that given the properties of the small focal length cameras, there's no justification for that many pixels on the sensor. If they put in a 1mpx sensor with high quality pixels (low noise), it'd cost less and the pictures would be much better. But nooooo, consumers are drawn toward megapixels.

Your showcase above is pretty impressive, but I'd say that if you had set your camera to 1mpx, you would still have the same quality shot, especially since you are resizing for display on the web, which is what most people do with cell-phone cameras. I doubt anyone will be printing any 8x10s from cell phone shots.

Thanks for the manual settings. I'll give them a shot. I typically don't have the camera do any post-processing work (like saturation, contrast, etc) since I think Photoshop gives you more control, but since I'm never planning to use the Evo for high-quality shots, it'd be nice to optimize the camera so I can point, shoot, and get the best possible image without any post processing.

Regarding the sharp leaves on the Evo, actually this happens because of the nature of the Evo's pinhole camera. The aperture is small, so the depth-of-field is huge. If you look at the inset image, you can see that the bird feeder is in focus (or as focused as the camera can possibly do). Probably a better comparison would be for me to shoot my SLR at a small aperture, so the background leaves become sharp as well. But if you just compare the insets, which is the native resolution for both cameras, you can see exactly why you don't need 8mpx for the Evo. You're just magnifying the noise.

Upvote 0
I agree on your main point. 8MP is 99.9% marketing. The most important factor is the image sensor and lens. I don't see why HTC cannot produce a phone with a better image sensor and lens. But that would make the phone bigger to make space for better hardware, as well as making the camera significantly more expensive. Thus making the demand for the phone not worth the cost of manufacturing.

The HTC Evo is a Jack of all trades, master of none. Well, maybe as a communications device (Navigation can also hold it's on against a stand-alone). If you want great quality pics, get a device that is made for such purpose.

As for your statement that the Pre takes far better pictures, I would disagree. ;)

BTW, there are several threads regarding the term 8MP on the evo. You might want to check them out. Everyone agree, the Evo is not the best camera, but for a phone, it's a damn good one. :)

Oh yeah, there is one good thing on real estate (8MP). The bigger the photo (pixel wise), the less noise you're gonna get on night shots when you resize it. It's not significant, but it is at least sometihng... LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones