• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO pre or SGIII

RamOG

Jun 10, 2012
NC
Which one should I take. I preordered the SGIII but am having second thoughts. I keep hearing the screen and software are way better on HTC. However the deciding factor to me is the non removable battery

I kinda want to take a poll and see: first of all, which one should I take. Second of all is the non removable battery worth NOT taking the EVO.

Also am I hearing wrong or was I told the right info about the evos software and screen being better?

Screen is a tie IMO.

SGSIII screen = better battery savings, punchier more vibrant colors, deeper blacks.

HTC One X screen = sharper images due to more subpixels.

Software, this is all down to preference. I like TouchWiz (samsung) over Sense (HTC), so if you ask me, I'll say software on SGSIII is better than HTC. But if you ask someone who like Sense better, they'll vote for HTC.

Reactions: RamOG
Upvote 0
I don't see the software differences as significant- the first thing anyone who cares about how their phone operates should do is root the thing to get rid of bloat and ensure the interface/launcher/themes are to their liking. Both the phones have been rooted and are well on their way to having Cm9 and other ROMs with full/more than OEM/ functionality. The non-removeable battery is a deal killer for me but maybe other hardware features are more important for you. I have been trying to find out which LTE bands each phone supports but haven't discovered that; I've got a few months before I'm in upgrade land so it hasn't been a priority.

Upvote 0
I mean I never was a fan of the HTC Sense on my 4G Evo anyway. I just heard they cleand up and made the update sense even better. As time is going by Iam more and more happy with my decision wtih SGIII anyway.

The best thing is, either phone will last 2 years and wont get boring for 2 years. So I'm happy with that.

Upvote 0
I mean I never was a fan of the HTC Sense on my 4G Evo anyway. I just heard they cleand up and made the update sense even better. As time is going by Iam more and more happy with my decision wtih SGIII anyway.

The best thing is, either phone will last 2 years and wont get boring for 2 years. So I'm happy with that.

You have a tough choice like I did.

I think software is important, especially if you plan to not flash just vanilla. I like the hardware specs on the SG3 but went with Evo LTE because of my great experience with the Evo and Sense ROMs. I like sense more than the new Touch Wiz. Sense 4.0 has been toned down quite a bit. So much so that I don't see myself using anymore than 1 homescreen now. You should look at youtube vids and reviews to decide. I remember flashing ICS on my evo and some things are never 100% stable and functional.

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy S III is the better choice. This is because it has the smoothest UI and fastest Internet download/upload speeds in Speed Test results. So if you want fluidity and responsive UI, get the Samsung Galaxy S III.

The new TouchWiz 4.0 is a massive improvement over normal TouchWiz. It has a 3D effect and has many elements resembling the attractiveness of Sense and fluidity of iOS. TouchWiz 4.0 is a very fluid, fast and customizable UI. TouchWiz 4.0 is actually more fluid than iOS and you will experience NO LAG at all. That's how smooth it feels.

If you want Sense, get the HTC EVO. But IMO, Sense is overrated. The HTC EVO did lag quite a bit when loading menus, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones