• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO Premium Services - A conversation with Sprint

That's the response that Sprint is hoping for. I don't mind the extra cost because I live in a 4G area BUT I'd probably be a little hot about it if I were outside the 4G area and I were paying for "premium data services" that weren't actually available to me.

But I think the point is that 4G or no 4G these new phones with their big screens and fast processors are designed for sucking down more data. 4G isn't available to me yet, although I hear it is expected to be soon...but even with "only" 3G I've been doing a heck of a lot more surfing and internet related stuff than I ever have before. So even with the extra "premium data" charge at the end of the day I'm still saving a bunch of money over the AT&T plan I'm dropping.

Upvote 0
We've had enough of this discussion on this forum. Get over it, or move on if you insist on being a whiny titty baby.

images

Reactions: tiny2nz
Upvote 0
I get $10/week enjoyment out of this phone compared to EVERY other phone I have used.

I completely agree. I live about 90 minutes north of Minneapolis (fairly rural area)- FAR from 4g service, and not likely to have any soon. However, I use this phone so much it's worth every penny of that $10.

Before getting the EVO, I did seriously consider an Android phone on Verizon or an iPhone. When comparing what I would pay for the same amount of minutes/text/data, it didn't compare. The thing is, they tell you about the extra $10 a month before you sign up, so the choice is completely yours.

Upvote 0
The ONLY complaint I have with Sprints $10 "Premium Data" service is the way they market it. I know my phones a data hog, I download music, download and save Youtube video's, hell I downloaded a few episodes of Entourage from a torrent sight, stuff I NEVER did on my old Sprint phone.

Sprint should have just raised the rates of the play for THIS phone by $10.00 dollars and said it was due to fact this phone would use increased data rather then to lie and try to come up with bullshit reasons why we should pay the $10 dollars.

When I called they tried to tell me it was because of the 4G data and when I said oh we don't have that here good, please take it off my bill they didn't know what to say and had to back track and lie to me to try to get me to accept it.

THAT said they isssued me about $200 dollars worth of credits for that and other issues so it evened out sorta.

Reactions: xefe and MrDoug1
Upvote 0
The Evo isn't much better, if even better, than a Galaxy S phone. Sprint is the only carrier charging $10 extra to use these phones on their 3G network.

It's a sad excuse, especially give that they aren't even the largest network and aren't suffering from congestion issues i.e. AT&T.

So, unless you can convice a majority of users how an Evo is more data-intensive than a Fascinate, Vibrant, Captivate, Droid X, Droid Incredible, etc. (most of which have similar hardware and screen sizes), then that excuse is laughable - at best.

By charging the fee, they can continue to upgrade the 3g network and install the new 4g network to prevent the congestion from happening.. or should they wait like ATT?

The 4g network has to be funded some how, unfortunately as some see it, it will be with our money.

They are also beefing up 3g at a very good pace as well, lots of rural areas and existing markets that did not have 3g are being converted and with 4g being added as well

No one using any of those devices on those networks, will even come close in a month, to what I use in a week on Sprints 4g network..

Let me know when the other networks, can Skype calls, play on line games and stream hulu all day long, with out overage fees or having to keep an eye on data caps.

I can see how not having 4g makes the pill harder to swallow, but looking at it from a business perspective the fee is minimal in what you as a consumer will eventually receive for you money in the end.

Welcome to the Now Network.

Upvote 0
Also, with that $10 Premium Data charge, Sprint is hardly cheaper than AT&T for anyone with similar minutes, unlimited Text, and a grandfathered-in Unlimited Data Plan.

Incorrect. I had 4 lines with 3 of them iphones sharing 1400 minutes and unlimited texting and my bill with AT&T was 40 bucks more than my bill with Sprint with 4 lines and 2 of them EVOs. The thing is with Sprint you still get more even with the 10 dollar extra charge:

Unlimited mobile calling to any carrier + 1500 shared minutes to landlines. Who needs rollover with that?

Unlimited data and texting of course

Sprint TV and SPRINT GPS included on each line whereas you pay 9.99 per line to get that on AT&T.

So after having VZW, AT&T and Sprint all in the last 5 years, I have to say that Sprint is still cheaper even with the extra data charge for the EVO but you still get more for your money. It's not even close.

Upvote 0
Incorrect. I had 4 lines with 3 of them iphones sharing 1400 minutes and unlimited texting and my bill with AT&T was 40 bucks more than my bill with Sprint with 4 lines and 2 of them EVOs. The thing is with Sprint you still get more even with the 10 dollar extra charge:

Unlimited mobile calling to any carrier + 1500 shared minutes to landlines. Who needs rollover with that?

Unlimited data and texting of course

Sprint TV and SPRINT GPS included on each line whereas you pay 9.99 per line to get that on AT&T.

So after having VZW, AT&T and Sprint all in the last 5 years, I have to say that Sprint is still cheaper even with the extra data charge for the EVO but you still get more for your money. It's not even close.

Yes, Sprint nav is a nice option, and it works well. I don't think once you are on android it matters. V may want you to pay for nav, but there is google nav free.

Rollover? Who needs rollover? Keep your minutes low by dropping calls :D

Upvote 0
Yes, Sprint nav is a nice option, and it works well. I don't think once you are on android it matters. V may want you to pay for nav, but there is google nav free.

Rollover? Who needs rollover? Keep your minutes low by dropping calls :D

Yeah I agree but I like the Sprint nav better. Just seems more polished but that's just my preference. Just wanted to point out to the other person that this is something that comes free with Sprint and for a person who doesn't use an Android phone they don't have to pay 10 buck extra a month. Just letting them know that the overall cost of Sprint + the features you get included is better than AT&T and VZW.

And I agree about the rollover. It's good in theory but who needs it when you can talk for unlimited for cheaper? We had 3000+ rollover minutes when I ended my AT&T contract. We almost never used them and A-list is ok but again, not needed when you can call any mobile number for free.
Also night minutes starting at 7PM at no extra cost. Add some more money to AT&T bill for that.

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree but I like the Sprint nav better. Just seems more polished but that's just my preference. Just wanted to point out to the other person that this is something that comes free with Sprint and for a person who doesn't use an Android phone they don't have to pay 10 buck extra a month. Just letting them know that the overall cost of Sprint + the features you get included is better than AT&T and VZW.

And I agree about the rollover. It's good in theory but who needs it when you can talk for unlimited for cheaper? We had 3000+ rollover minutes when I ended my AT&T contract. We almost never used them and A-list is ok but again, not needed when you can call any mobile number for free.
Also night minutes starting at 7PM at no extra cost. Add some more money to AT&T bill for that.

I just lost 10,279 rollover minutes two days ago when I downgraded my plan from 1400 to 700 minutes. I was leaving AT&T anyway so I didn't see the need in wasting another $20 for this month.

Upvote 0
It is called "unbundling the product". Just like the airlines are doing with their baggage fees and such. For the longest time, people that regularly do NOT check bags were subsidizing people that do. Now that is not the case. If you want to check bags, have at it...but it will cost you. If you can agree that a person owning an Evo will likely use more data, then do you expect others that do not use much data to subsidize your (over)use of it??? Simple as that!!!

Reactions: GiftedPlacebo
Upvote 0
It is called "unbundling the product". Just like the airlines are doing with their baggage fees and such. For the longest time, people that regularly do NOT check bags were subsidizing people that do. Now that is not the case. If you want to check bags, have at it...but it will cost you. If you can agree that a person owning an Evo will likely use more data, then do you expect others that do not use much data to subsidize your (over)use of it??? Simple as that!!!

^^ This is how I feel about it. My previous phone was the HTC Hero. On my EVO I can use MANY times the amount of data even on 3G. My wife uses the Hero now, and I can load a bunch of web pages and watch a YouTube video over 3G in the time it takes her just to get a web page all the way loaded. If you look at it from the perspective of OTHER customers - why should they see a rate increase because of our new uber phones? Sprint basically recognized they needed to charge more for service, and decided to focus that on the people that really use it. In time, all their smart phones will be subject to the $10 fee, and they'll have their rate increase. I much prefer the way they are rolling out the rate increase compared to jacking everyone's rates when they get nothing in return. At least we get some blazing fast phones for our $10.

Reactions: GirlGoneGeek
Upvote 0
By charging the fee, they can continue to upgrade the 3g network and install the new 4g network to prevent the congestion from happening.. or should they wait like ATT?

The 4g network has to be funded some how, unfortunately as some see it, it will be with our money.

They are also beefing up 3g at a very good pace as well, lots of rural areas and existing markets that did not have 3g are being converted and with 4g being added as well

No one using any of those devices on those networks, will even come close in a month, to what I use in a week on Sprints 4g network..

Let me know when the other networks, can Skype calls, play on line games and stream hulu all day long, with out overage fees or having to keep an eye on data caps.

I can see how not having 4g makes the pill harder to swallow, but looking at it from a business perspective the fee is minimal in what you as a consumer will eventually receive for you money in the end.

Welcome to the Now Network.

I brought my two evos back and got vibrants from tmo. They actually have better voice coverage tham sprimt here, and faster 3g. Plus, I dont have to pay more to use it, and tmo gabe a factorably bigger discount, just cause I work for my company.

Ended up paying less than sprint ;)

The Now Network. Too bad I can't have 4g now, nut I can have near 4g speeds on my 3g phome thanks to tmo's hspa+ rollout here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones