HTC Evo Scrolling problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. ahnoff

ahnoff Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I've noticed that has happened not only with long lists of text messages but emails as well:

When i try to scroll up to older messages, the screen will automatically jump back down to the most recent messages at the bottom while my finger is still on the screen. Even though the older messages are definitely there, the screen won't let me scroll up any further. I've tried rebooting (which seems to solve the problem for about 30 seconds) without much prolonged success.

I've also tried setting the phone on a table where i can be sure no other part of my hand is touching it, and using a single finger. Same problem. It's driving me bonkers because i need to re-read some older text messages.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking I'll try to exchange my phone when RadioShack gets more stock in.

Advertisement
  2. Blaze312

Blaze312 Member

I am having this same problem. A reboot does not fix it.

I am also looking for a solution.

3. Marco Cordero

Marco Cordero Member

I think I found a fix to the scrolling problem with text messages using the HTC messaging app. I haven't tried it with the E-mail software, but it may work just the same. Try this and let me know if it works:

1. Go to your "People" button and open your "My Contact Card" (the one at the top of the list with your name).
    2. Press the Menu button, then click Edit.
    3. Now, click on your Photo and change it to whatever. After you do this, it should be fixed.

My theory is that the text messaging app glitches when your "My Contact Card" photo isn't set correctly. I noticed that my picture kept disappearing and reappearing and now that is fixed, too.

4. bettybubble

bettybubble New Member

I tried the *edit my contact card picture* as last suggested, same issue. I did notice one day before I tried this I was able to do it then it changed back to the same issue. This is basically my only complaint w/ this phone. I can't review a prior text and heaven forbid I get a friend who sends me multiple textes as I have had happen and I can't read them. I hope they correct this!!

5. bettybubble

bettybubble New Member

on android central forums..Many suggested downloading the FREE handcent SMS and all claim problem solved. I just did it and it works!! looks much like Iphone sms and you can actually delete a particular message in a thread. Lots of options! I recommend it!!

6. laney33

laney33 Member

Haha! I just posted a thread with the same issue. This is a really annoying problem.

7. laney33

laney33 Member

Ok so I just dl the handcent app and it works. Gotta get use to the outlook but besides that, at least I can read ALL of my text messages.

8. bettybubble

bettybubble New Member

you can change the outlook to look like android or 4 other variations including Iphone look, of which I was used to for so long . I am loving it and highly recommend using this application. For more reviews go to androidcentral.com and search text scrolling issues and read the comments. many have also really liked this app and states it works perfect!

9. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

I'm haveing a similar issue only it's not with messaging but with the contacts info. When the contact info requires I scroll down, after a few seconds it resets back to the top whether my finger is on it or not. Any help would be appreciated.

10. sykartpro

sykartpro Member

I'm having the same issue with the email, the messaging, and the contacts. for me on the contacts, it seems if I scroll down really fast, it'll change the pictures to what the most recent ones are even though you are at the middle of the contact list, If you try to scroll back up, it allows you to do so, but once it slows down, it changes the pictures and names again...

11. NetDude

NetDude Member

I'm having the same problem. I believe it is a result of 1) an adroid feature and 2) a problem with the touch screen sensitivity. So, first, I'll describe why I believe this to be, in part, due to a feature built into the Android OS.

I've figured out how to deliberately jump quickly to the bottom of, say, a list of email messages. When at the top of the list, put one finger on the top-most message (I don't think it has to be the top-most message, but do it to follow along). Before, the menu (that pops up when you perform a long-press) appears, touch the bottom most message visible on the screen. Now, you should have two fingers on the screen and a date should have appeared just under the first finger you placed on the screen. Simply lift the first finger you placed on the screen (the one at the top of the email list). Then, lift the other finger. You will now be at the bottom of the list. Reverse the procedure, starting at the bottom to get back to the top of the list. This also works to get from the top to the middle of the list or from the bottom to the middle of the list. Simply place your second finger in the center of the list instead of at the top or bottom of the list.

Ok. So, now we have established that this is a feature. I believe that the screen is sensing that this sequence has been performed when it, in fact, has not been done (deliberately). Perhaps, due to the capacitive nature of the screen, it's sensitivity and maybe some device physics, such a sequence is being detected by the phone.