• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO Shift 4G Goes Official; Available Jan. 9 for $149.99; Best Buy Taking Pre-Orders; Wirefly Re

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
Sprint’s become the new Verizon, it seems, as their HTC EVO Shift 4G has seen countless leaks leading up to today’s official announcement: the device will be available January 9th for $149.99 after a two-year contract agreement. It’s everything we expected it to be: Sprint’s version of the T-Mobile G2 with HTC Sense and 4G [...]

More...

I think they should take the EVO out of the name. It has an 800mhz processor, 5mp camera, no front facing camera, 3.6inch screen, and a 2gb microSD card. The only improvemnt is a 2gb ROM. It's HTC's version of the Samsung Transform but with 2.2. Seems silly to me to downgrade key features.

Best Buy has started taking pre-sales for this phone. I don't see a reason why...

Upvote 0
I think they should take the EVO out of the name. It has an 800mhz processor, 5mp camera, no front facing camera, 3.6inch screen, and a 2gb microSD card. The only improvemnt is a 2gb ROM. It's HTC's version of the Samsung Transform but with 2.2. Seems silly to me to downgrade key features.

Best Buy has started taking pre-sales for this phone. I don't see a reason why...

Quit your whining! Yes, the Shift has an 800mhz processor, but its already proven to be much faster than the original Evo. The screen size is smaller, but not everyone wants to carry a phone around that has a huge 4.3 inch screen.

Regarding branding, Sprint is just learning from Verizon. Look at all the "Droids" Verizon carries. Their specs vary quite a bit.

Seriously, youre using a Samsung Moment, which in my opinion is one of the worst android phones on Sprint, other than the Intercept. So high end specs cant be too much of a concern for you.

Upvote 0
Quit your whining! Yes, the Shift has an 800mhz processor, but its already proven to be much faster than the original Evo. the screen size is smaller, but not everyone wants to carry a phone around that has a huge 4.3 inch screen.

Seriously, youre using a Samsung Moment, which in my opinion is one of the worst android phones on Sprint, other than the Intercept. So high end specs cant be too much of a concern for you.
If its gonna be like the G2 its going to be much faster than the EVO all around. I'm with you i cant stand how big the EVO is and its terrible battery life. Plus the G2 can be Overclocked up to 1.6ghz :D

Upvote 0

Really? Since we haven't had an available upgrade until now we must not care about high end specs? I don't quite follow your logic here.

When I bought my phone, sprint had the hero and the moment. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the hero but this was before swype was very well known and the moment had a hardware keyboard, higher clock speed on the processor, an AMOLED screen, and stock android. I was new to android, and I didn't know about all the hardware issues the moment. The reviews between the two were pretty similar, so the moment seemed like a better option at the time. Now that I have an available upgrade, I would rather not use it on a phone that is already 6 months old. There is certainly nothing wrong with lamenting the lack of a phone similar to the original evo with an upgraded processor or other upgrade.

The poster made a legitimate point that, since this phone doesn't have much in common with original Evo, it certainly doesn't benefit the consumer to include Evo in the Shift. There was nothing in the tone of the post that would indicate any form of whining.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones