HTC EVO Stock Android 2.2

Last Updated:

1. Willimatic

Willimatic Active Member This Topic's Starter

I know you can search this, and people have been asking BUT come on. There has to be some way, or something we can download to get the stock android 2.2 on the phone without HTC sense. Isn't this a basic of android! How can we not have the ability to have stock android. I'd give anything to do this.

I disabled sense before the htc patch and was unaware they didn't allow it anymore, so when i updated to 2.2 i was shocked. I HATE sense, please help.

I dont want to run launcher pro etc. I want the stock messaging and dialer back. I dont' like chomp or handscent etc.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Root and install CM 6 for Evo. Not sure about the other custom roms, but I think most or all of them use Sense. CM6 doesn't.

But then you'll have to wait for a way to root 2.2 to be found.

3. Willimatic

I don't mind launcher pro but how can I get rid of the HTC sense dialer and messages. I want stock not an app. There has to be some way, this is an adroid powered phone. This not allowing stock android by HTC is like the old days when Verizon crippled every phone and put their os it

4. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Actually, the HTC dialer is far better than the stock android one... the Sense launcher..... einh.... not so much. (I bailed on it almost immediately and went back with GDE, I love it, still works with 2.2 as well!)

5. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

I am patiently waiting for a Vanilla Froyo ROM once 2.2 is rooted. To get rid of the Sense UI and also to ditch the Sprint bloatware.

6. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

Coming from the Droid, I like the Sense UI better then the stock one. The Droid's stock dialer was a pita, and I can't count how many times I accidentally hit the redial on the numbers and having to apologize to people for calling them back.

As for GDE, I don't like it much, it caused my Droid to lag way too much and slowed down just about everything on the phone. I will take the Sense UI over GDE any day.

7. Willimatic

Sorry to rant but this is really annoying, such a lame move on HTC part. Android is about flexibily and freedom, not a locked down system like iOS! IF I want to use android in it's purest form, I should be able too!

8. WaSTeLaNd

WaSTeLaNd Well-Known Member

t1jordan and Mr. Ed like this.
  9. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

in all honestly, i wish HTC had incorporated a way to disable separate parts of HTC Sense. for instance, disable their launcher but still keep the dialer, clock etc.

10. Munnarg

Munnarg Well-Known Member

I installed this a few days ago, but I'm also getting the no application found error when I press the phone icon.

11. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

to OP, why are you wanting to use stock vanilla Android launcher over something like ADW or LauncherPro :confused:

much better functionality in 3rd party launchers imo.

12. WaSTeLaNd

I had the same problem I did a reinstall and it fixed itself

13. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

I say install CM6 on your phone. It's basically enhanced vanilla android.

14. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Because the OP is not looking for a launcher that runs on TOP of sense.

When you run the launchers you suggest, it's still using Sense components. The gallery is still sense. The calendar is sense. The music player is sense. The phone dialer is still sense. The lock screen is still sense. etc etc. Sure there are apps that you can use as an alternative to these components, but these sense components are always running. OP is asking for sense to be stripped out completely, not just covering up Sense.

I have been researching this too, and I have not seen anyone develop a custom ROM that essentially strips out all of Sense but leaves everything else stock. I would definitely try such a ROM. The best you can do is go with a custom rom with Sense stripped out, and accept whatever mods that come with it.

15. jgalan14

jgalan14 Well-Known Member

16. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

I will be in line right behind you. Its time for HTC to ditch sense and only code applications and widgets. There was a time when their skins had purpose (winmo) but now android has stock applications, launchers and such that are far superior.

I will concur I dont mind the dialer but a lot of the cool stuff for google doesnt even work with some of the HTC skinned apps and not being able to replace them is annoying.

17. Willimatic

Agreed! Some may like HTC sense and it's widgets, some may not. But we should have the choice to run it if we "want" too. I agree, some of their widgets are cool but what sucks is that even when you run a launcher like launcher pro, htc is still running stuff even if its not for you.

I have tried the launcher2.apk thing, it worked except it keeps giving me the dialer issue. I want all of froyo, stock launcher, dialer, messenger etc. And if I choose to customize then so be it.

Come on android gods!!

18. Willimatic

Does anyone have the messenger apk for froyo? I have found launcher, keyboard, gallery, but what about dialer or messenger?

Thanks

19. WaSTeLaNd

I don't mean to hijack but is there a apk for the stock froyo camera it has a better menu I think

20. Willimatic

I second that as well. See, Stock Froyo is missed in many aspects!

21. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

I
    Do you know what is even more lame?? It is what HTC does. What they are famous for. And yet you buy an HTC phone.

Then complain on a public forum. Now that is lame.

22. chocmatic

chocmatic Well-Known Member

23. Munnarg

Munnarg Well-Known Member

24. jgalan14

jgalan14 Well-Known Member

I think the only way to make it work would be to flash it

Munnarg likes this.
  25. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

I found this on launcher-pro's forum.

HTC SENSE WIDGETS ARE NOT AND WILL NEVER BE SUPPORTED IN LAUNCHER PRO

I can only say sorry, but the way HTC makes it's widgets, and the sense UI as a whole work is by adding in custom code to the android OS, and because of that the sense widgets require that code all the time. and the majority of it is built into the Sense UI launcher app. So because of that the widgets will never work.

If you want something like the widgets, there are MANY alternative widgets available in the market to simulate the HTC Sense widgets.

some examples are Beautiful Widgets, Weather Widget Donate, Pure Calender, and many more.

Now, if you know of any other widgets that are similar to the sense UI, feel free to post their name and maybe a link to it's AndroLib site

Please don't complain, there's nothing that Fede can do to make them work with LauncherPro so complaining is pointless

LauncherPro Forum • View topic - Regarding HTC Sense Widgets