• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Evo stuck on screen with 4 triangles and "HTC" in middle!!!!

cvc7chris

Jan 12, 2011
help!! i got this phone off my friend. he had a custom rom and rooted and he tried to restore back to original and he soft bricked the phone!!

now it shows a black screen with 4 triangles in corners with exclamation marks and "HTC" in the middle.

i tried going into bootloader mode but no luck (power + vol up) it only vibrates 3 times but screen doesn't power

what do i have to do to fix it? flash oem rom? and how?

i appreciate all the help

You're stuck in the middle of a bad RUU flash. You need to complete an RUU flash before you can do anything else. Download this, connect your phone to your computer, then run it. Make sure you have the drivers installed (HTC sync should do it). That doesn't always work right away, so report back if you have issues with it. There are a few threads around here with some troubleshooting on it.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
UPDATE!!!

after i installed the htc sync and uninstalled it and left the drivers stuff. it worked!

i now have a working evo! thanks to yall!

now i wanna get it working on virgin mobile!! i will pay someone VIA PAYPAL to walk me through the process. i kno its not illegal, and so is downloading music, videos, and movies, torrents etc etc!

so PM me someone.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
now i wanna get it working on virgin mobile!! i will pay someone VIA PAYPAL to walk me through the process. i kno its not illegal, and so is downloading music, videos, and movies, torrents etc etc!

Hmm... I would look to google and xda before I'd pay someone via paypal, but I'm cheap. And I think I recall reading about someone getting it to work on other networks (either VM or metro or something).

Upvote 0
Alright chris, i'll help a bit and becase i'm feeling nice listenin to the rat pack, i'll be giving you some links for free. It's quite a few, and they don't apply directly to the evo and virgin mobile but they are close. Droid to another one, so I'd guess the process would be quite similar. Both Verizon and Sprint are cdma networks, and andorid phones.

Here we go...

How to Use Same Cell Phone for Different Service Provider or Carrier | eHow.com

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...ted-phone-use-different-carrier-possible.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...e-different-carrier-possible.html#post1959294

How to Flash MOTOROLA DROID to Cricket: 2.2 Froyo FULL apps,web,mms - xda-developers

Also, on the Virgin Mobile USA wikipedia page it said they use sprint, so you might want to think about that (don't know if that changes anything for you).

One of the links is about calling Sprint customer support and get some numbers from them. Another user posted about software that sounds like it would work. He said it was illegal though, but.... eh. That should at least get you on the right track.

Upvote 0
Same problem as above. I have no idea what to do. There was a link above that would have possibly been what i needed but it has been taken down. Any help? I would need step by step instructions if possible. Just tell me what to do. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you all.
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!
what is your hboot and baseband? what exactly happened to get you to this state? and if you get the four triangles then that means you are or were in the middle of a ruu install. can you give us more detail on what you did?

Reactions: Slamma
Upvote 0
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!
what is your hboot and baseband? what exactly happened to get you to this state? and if you get the four triangles then that means you are or were in the middle of a ruu install. can you give us more detail on what you did?

Thank you for welcoming me and replying ocnbrze......this phone belongs to a friend of mine. He said it was rooted and his market disappeared along with all of the apps he had downloaded, so he went to sprint. Tech support said they couldnt officially help him but told him to download cyanogen 7 instead of using stock, and that would fix it. He said cyanogen went onto the phone but now having this problem and he brought it to me. Idk what hboot or baseband are. I can say tho the power button takes it directly to this black screen with those icons I mentioned and vol down and power do nothing. I can hook it up to my pc and turn it on, still same black screen with icons, then when unplugged goes to recovery screen with the exact same info as the original poster of this thread had. Will not let me select "ruu" or turn off, so have to pull battery.

Upvote 0
Thank you for welcoming me and replying ocnbrze......this phone belongs to a friend of mine. He said it was rooted and his market disappeared along with all of the apps he had downloaded, so he went to sprint. Tech support said they couldnt officially help him but told him to download cyanogen 7 instead of using stock, and that would fix it. He said cyanogen went onto the phone but now having this problem and he brought it to me. Idk what hboot or baseband are. I can say tho the power button takes it directly to this black screen with those icons I mentioned and vol down and power do nothing. I can hook it up to my pc and turn it on, still same black screen with icons, then when unplugged goes to recovery screen with the exact same info as the original poster of this thread had. Will not let me select "ruu" or turn off, so have to pull battery.

ok so you will need to do what akazabam suggested in post #4.
here is the file you need:
RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed
this is a ruu that you run on your computer. it is the second to the last gingerbread ota we had. also make sure that you have htc sync installed. you will need the drivers from it for this to work.

connect the phone to the pc and have it on the red triangle screen and then run the ruu on your computer.

Reactions: Slamma
Upvote 0
ok so you will need to do what akazabam suggested in post #4.
here is the file you need:
RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed
this is a ruu that you run on your computer. it is the second to the last gingerbread ota we had. also make sure that you have htc sync installed. you will need the drivers from it for this to work.

connect the phone to the pc and have it on the red triangle screen and then run the ruu on your computer.

Thank you this should be a lot of help. I will start on that now and let you know my results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones