HTC Evo stuck on startup screen and I can't get my phone back

Last Updated:

1. joeyldev

joeyldev Member This Topic's Starter

I think I might be in serious trouble here. I'm new to smartphones in general and wanted to root my Evo so that I could get rid of that annoying bloatware and maybe find some cool functionality.

I'm new to forums too, but I did dig through a ton before I posted this and didn't see a solution to my problem.

I used unrevoked 3 to root the phone. Worked fine. Tried to install Fresh through Rom Manager, but couldn't get it to flash by installing from sd card. Sort of abandoned that and moved on to Bugless Beast. I downloaded that to my computer transferred to my phone and tried "install from sd card" again. No luck, it just gave me the startup screen "htc evo 4g" and stayed on. I used nandroid to restore to my previous settings with no problem. I decided to partition the hardrive and try to flash bugless beast again. This would have been fine, but I didn't realize that partitioning removed the clockwise back up file. So, now I don't have anything to restore back to and it is stuck on the "htc evo 4g" screen.

I can still get into the hboot, so its not a total loss yet. Can anyone help me get it back to the factory settings? I know my settings are long gone now.

Thanks so much in advance.

Joey

Advertisement
  2. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

download ra recovery or clcokwork recovery from xda, rename the file pc36img.zip and download the rom you want. Put them on your sdcard, hopefully you have a card to put into your pc. transfer the files to the root of your sdcard, put sdcard back in your phone, boot to bootloader and install the pc36img file and that will install your recovery then boot to recovery and flash the rom and you should be back to stock

3. goodboy

goodboy Well-Known Member

You could also just download the stock from and plop it into the root folder of the microSD card and reboot. The phone should ask you if you want to flash or not and then its just a matter of time till the phone reboots to factory settings.

joeyldev likes this.
  4. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

joeyldev likes this.
  5. joeyldev

I actually do have a sd card reader, so that was an excellent idea I haven't thought of. However, I just tried to plug it all in to two different computers (windows xp / windows 7) and it doesn't seem to want to read the card....hmmm. I'm going to tinker some more. Thanks for all the ideas and files.

6. joeyldev

Ok, sd card issue is fixed. I can see the card. The reader I was using was too old to read the new sd card from the evo.

When you say place the file on the root of the card, so you mean a "root" folder. If so, I don't see one.

There are three main or bottom folders on the card, ".android_secure", ".footprints", "LOST.DIR".

Android secure is empty, footprints has two folders called voices and thumbnails and lost.dir has my FRG22DV05 (this is the ROM Fresh or Bugless Beast). This is where the system and boot file is.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by root and I greatly appreciate all of your help. It's actually really cool to see how everyone helps each other on here.

7. goodboy

goodboy Well-Known Member

Thats where you'd plop the Rom, where ".android", "footprints", and etc. are. Where if you clicked to go up one more level(on Win7), it would take you to "My Computer".

8. joeyldev

alright, the image file worked an i am back in business. phone is fully operational. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I've gained a lot of new skills throughout this and still plan to use a custom rom. wish me luck.