HTC EVO vs HTC Hero vs Samsung EPIC 4G...sure this has been beaten to death...

Last Updated:

1. Dangerzone812

Dangerzone812 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm bout to get a new phone. But not due for my 2 year upgrade, I think I'm in between a year and a year and a half. So i get a small rebate, i pay 75 bucks more than the 2 year rebate.

So I was thinking about getting the EVO, but the problem is that they're as easy to find as Jimmy Hoffa's body.

Yet I want that processing power, but I'm stuck between the EVO the Hero or the EPIC.

It boils down to this:

Evo:

Pros: The screen, the processing power, the 4G network, the wifi tethering, the kickstand and design, the camera. Basically its a behemoth of a device.

Cons: impossible to find, and the price, 50-100 dollars more than the Hero, that makes a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGG difference for a college student like me who needs to buy books soon. AND its battery life SUCKS...I mean SUCKS, as you all know.

Hero:

Pro: It's fairly recent, its gonna run the same OS as the EVO, android 2.1, and i can get 2.2 on it. I can use it to do wifi tethering, I can live with it, but its not THE BEST, not as strong as a processor and not as big of a screen.

Con. Not the most recent phone, no front facing camera (yet idk if i'll use it a lot, but it'd be nice to have just in case) I'ts slightly "out dated" and not as strong as a processor.

EPIC:

Pros: Runs 4G like the EPIC, and has vary similar specs. Nicer screen perhaps, and the possibility of having better battery life.

Cons: Not coming out till the last day of the month, and not sure if I can cut class to go get it being an engineering student and all. Smaller screen, only by a little. 50 BUCKS MORE EXPENSIVE MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE...and Samsung doesnt have that great of a track run.

What I need and am looking for in a phone:

I'm a computer nerd, so wifi tethering and some gaming emulators and also handy things like terminal, or to program on it on the go, as well as entertainment for my media like musics and videos and such...SO Battery life is vital. Yet so is screen size.

SO IM SO TORN!

What do you think?

thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. LKNDY81

LKNDY81 Well-Known Member

well i have the hero so message me for any questions you have regarding it or you can send me an e-mail at insanestuntpeople2@live.com

3. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

I've heard the EVO's battery life is good. I've talked to a few different people, even a guy at the Sprint store as he was ordering me a new Moment, and no he wasn't just trying to sell it, because his store doesn't even carry it's. It was just a BayCom store, not a full Sprint store. He told me he easily gets through the day with heavy usage.

4. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

The Hero is about to be EOL'ed, I would cross that off my list immediately.

If it comes down to availability, get your name on a Epic pre-order list,cause I bet your chances are better at getting one of those.

5. Mistiq

Mistiq Well-Known Member

I have to agree with everybody else. The Hero should be crossed off of your list due to it's age. It most likely won't be supported for the likely length of your ownership.

As far as the other two phones, it seems like we're in almost the exact same situation as far as what we're looking for and current situation. I'm even an engineering student myself on a limited budget as well.

Personally, The epic can do almost everything that the EVO can do, other than the kickstand, HDMI out (which is gimped IMO due to it only working on self recorded video and picture gallery) and it seems that you can get cheap Hero(?) batteries that fit the EVO.

So the Epic can do almost everything else that the EVO can do, plus it has a physical keyboard which is highly reccomended for Emulator gaming, full tv-out, DLNA sharing, obviously the superior screen, CPU and GPU. It can read more codecs which means less converting for you when it comes to movies and etc....

HTC Sense is better than Touchwiz (which isn't bad in my opinion) but honestly you were probably going to replace those with Launcher Pro or ADW laucher anyway right?

The Epic's battery life seems to be a little better than the EVO's right now and that's without the Epic having any kind of OTA updates to improve things like that yet.

The biggest Cons to me in choosing the Epic over the EVO are the facts that the Epic is $50 more expensive and that the EVO has a huge Developer community right now for ROms and etc...

$50 isn't too big of a deal especially if you search the forums for the cheapest way to purchase this phone be it discounts or whatever.

I'm not sure if the Epic's developer community is ever going to match the EVO's but then there is also the fact that Samsung Galaxy S will be carried by at least 6 carriers in North America not counting overseas, so anything that gets developed for one system wouldn't be too hard to convert to work on the Epic I would imagine.

Well that's my rambling .02. It's very late and I'm extremely sleepy as well.

Oh yeah, one of my plans is that since I probably won't be able to Epic on release date I will probably get the EVO since it should be in stock by then, I'll try it out for about 20 something days and then switch to the Epic (which should be back in stock by then) before the 30 days is up. Playing with both phones for an extended amount of time should make the decision much easier.

6. SoulTerror

1 of the main cons is the fact that it's a Samsung phone. I'll never buy a Samsung phone after dealing with the Moment.

unclefishbits likes this.
  7. unclefishbits

unclefishbits Member

I am not a crude person, nor am I a neophyte. But I will rant now:

The Samsung Moment has been the worst technological experience of my entire life. My first computer was 1984... IBM XT. That's when it all starts for me.

I know we are pioneering new tech, and to be patient...

BUT I HAVE ALMOST ****ING BROKE THE PHONE IN HALF, and basically have stopped using a cell phone because of it.

I am sorry to swear, but I am at my wits end. After the eclair and 2.1 update, I had hopes the bluetooth issue was fixed, but it basically turns the phone into a dead brick...

Startup to making a call? What... maybe 7 minutes? That is if it doesn't freeze, fail, freeze, stops responding... etc. Want to answer a call? Sorry the phone will freeze? Want to listen to music... NOPE! Process not responding.

It's pathetic, and it makes me pine for my Touch Pro. That is saying a lot.

Screw samsung, and again pardon the swearing. I am so over it. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never been so frustrated in my entire life. I am a patient guy, and I have almost snapped this thing in half twice.

/rant

Soul Terror.. thank you for being there with me. Samsung NEVER again.:mad:

I am thinking of filming it's stalling and lag in calling, etc just to post on youtube and laugh at myself for trying to zen out and be patient as my phone pisses me off.

8. SoulTerror

I've always loved Samsung product until I got the Moment. I hate it, my wife hates it. I was working on a guy's computer the other night and he has one and hates it

9. unclefishbits

unclefishbits Member

I saw a woman I am working with today.. she has it. I will ask.

It's a disaster. Also, Google's own Voice app is the biggest memory destroyer on the phone. That seems counterintuitive for a product not to work with the same brand.

I am a calm, patient, smart, frugal businessman. I was dealing with a website launch for a hotel today, as well as having to check in with another client. Both times, I almost snapped the phone in half.

I was going to film the 3-5 minutes it takes to connect a call (if it doesn't drop it) and post it on youtube.

Instead, I will be posting when I destroy it. Not sure how, but I assure you that I my insurance will be impressed with the way the revolving hotel door broke my phone. Or whatever I come up with.

10. atistang

atistang Well-Known Member

I went from a hero to an evo, the evo's battery life is way better

with that said i still have my hero, i'd probably sell it to you for $100

11. irule9000

irule9000 New Member