• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO Wall Charger Noise

utee05

Jun 3, 2010
ATX
Hey All,
I have noticed that while charging my EVO using the stock wall charger and any micro usb cable that there is a loud whining noise. It is pretty loud and can even hear it while watching TV. I have read that the Droid Incredible charger has the same issue as well and have tried to switch the prong orientatoin and still no luck. I have used my other HTC charger that I have from my old Touch Diamond and don't hear any type of noise. I have read that it is the capacitors in the charger making the noise. I have tested and the charger still makes the noise after the green LED light has come on. Anyone else have this issue?

Hey All,
I have noticed that while charging my EVO using the stock wall charger and any micro usb cable that there is a loud whining noise. It is pretty loud and can even hear it while watching TV. I have read that the Droid Incredible charger has the same issue as well and have tried to switch the prong orientatoin and still no luck. I have used my other HTC charger that I have from my old Touch Diamond and don't hear any type of noise. I have read that it is the capacitors in the charger making the noise. I have tested and the charger still makes the noise after the green LED light has come on. Anyone else have this issue?

I noticed it last night...a loud high pitch whine? Maybe these other folks are too old and can't hear it ;)

Upvote 0
I sleep with mine less than 4 feet from my head and I can't hear anything. I wonder what your house electrical system is rated at and if it complies with the input voltage and amperage on the charger.

Doubt it has anything to do with my electrical system as I don't have any other issues with wall chargers. I can hear this noise and other owners of the Droid Incredible hear this noise as well. I'm going to take the charger in to get a replacement. The noise isn't loud and doesn't drown out other noises, but I can hear it. It is an annoying whining noise that you just can't ignore.

Upvote 0
lith battery charging, mine does it too, I would not worry about. anytime you put a charger to any battery, you will hear some sound. I would bet if everyone puts there ear to the phone itself, they will hear a high pitch sound during charging, regardless of the charger. i have tried using different chargers and the battery still makes the high pitch. my battery lasts 16 hours or more, i fall asleep before i need to charge it again.

Upvote 0
lith battery charging, mine does it too, I would not worry about. anytime you put a charger to any battery, you will hear some sound. I would bet if everyone puts there ear to the phone itself, they will hear a high pitch sound during charging, regardless of the charger. i have tried using different chargers and the battery still makes the high pitch. my battery lasts 16 hours or more, i fall asleep before i need to charge it again.
I'm charging mine right now & put it up to my ear & its not making any noise.

Upvote 0
I noticed this yesterday, and am guessing it's because the charger is a transformer, and is stepping down the voltage to 8V for the USB cable. Mine was a faint hissing noise that I could only hear if I had my ear within 6" of the thing. Not a big deal for me.

5v
details...

if it's not audible from a ways away I wouldn't worry about it. If you hear a buzz and you're in the next room, though, definitely replace that thing before it fries your phone.

Upvote 0
No one's arguing that a transformer is going to be absolutely silent. I'm just saying if the PSU in your tower were making a buzzing noise you could hear without trying for it, and wasn't the fan, you wouldn't be sitting there like "yeah that's fine I'm ok with this."

Only thing I can think of is to replace the charger, There's no safe way to dampen the noise from the outside (wrapping it in stuff is a fire hazard, due to heat generated by the rectifier.)

Upvote 0
The noise is coming from the AC-> DC rectifier, they do that -- some are louder then others depending on build quality of device they're in. Nothing to be concerned and the reason that some people don't hear it is it's about 15k hertz(same sort of sound old CRT TV/monitors make)

That's what I was getting at....younger ears are more prone to hear the 15 kHz while some older than me (I'm 24) probably can't hear it. Check it out here to test what the 15 kHz sounds like - Can you hear THIS? Musicians high frequency hearing test | NoiseAddicts music and audio blog

Personally, I think mine is closer to the 16 kHz sound....regardless, it is there, but doesn't bother me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones