htc friend streamSupport

Last Updated: 2010-05-30 00:26:19
  1. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

hi folks, had the phone a week now and its been a bit of a rollercoaster ride really. soon as i figure one thing out something else gives me issues.
    anyway, i was just wondering about friend stream. on paper its a good little app bringing together twitt and facebook. my issue is that it dosen't refresh on its own? but the peep app and the facebook app's do??
    let me know if this happens with you or if i'm just missing one of those hidden settings.

Advertisement
  2. dsb18

dsb18 Member

I too would like to know this as this was one of the "exciting new features" of sense, i get a com.htc.bg process error when the phone starts which I know is the Facebook sync so that dosen't work (hopeing for udate to cure) and the friends stream i have to update every time, not what I thought I was buying.
  3. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

yes, the twitter peep app seems to update its self it even gives you a notification sound and message. this is what i wanted from the friend stream app.
    come on htc!!
  4. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

has anyone got their friend stream to auto update then? or is it just my handset.
  5. dsb18

dsb18 Member

Its too early to tell whether its cured the Friends Stream not updating but I have solved the process error that caused facebook to stop updating peoples status. When I setup the Legend I set up all the accounts Facebook, Twitter etc and since then I had this com.htc.bg process stopped and the facebook to contacts were not syncing I have just removed my Facebook account on the Legend and then recreated it but was given the option to created a Facebook Account or a Facebook for HTC Account, I choose the later and have not had the process error since, also it (appears) my Friend stream is auto updating, like I say it may be a false dawn but I'm still pleased to resolve one issue.
  6. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

Could be a result then?keep us updated on this please
  7. anandroiduser

anandroiduser Well-Known Member

@boatman72 First, I apologise if I'm not understanding you quite well.. but when in FriendStream, can't you go to Menu, then access Settings, then Accounts & sync, then Facebook (or Flickr, or Twitter), then Account Settings, then Update frequency, and set it for Every hour maybe?

I do agree that it would be nice to at least have the option of a message playing to indicate a new FriendStream message, but I think FriendStream (like a few other apps) refreshes at set time intervals and pulls down all the data only at that time. They don't seem to be "push" clients, that alert you every time you get a new message, if you get me. I suspect it may also be because of the fact that Android phones consume a great amount of data already, so practically speaking, such an option wouldn't be that ideal considering the standard carriers' data plans.
  8. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

yes i can do all that but it still wont update itself. the news widget is the same.
  9. dsb18

dsb18 Member

My friends stream is now updating (quite quickly) this is what I did I hard reset my legend because any facebook status updates seemed random and went through the normal setting up, when I looked at the market downloads to reinstall my apps there was the latest facebook upgrade included, because my friends stream was now working fine I have ignored the update. I dont know now whether it was the hard reset or the fact that i haven't installed the facebook update but all my facebook syncing is working fine
  10. anandroiduser

@boatman72 Sad to admit, but I'm now facing the same issue. I left the country for a bit and therefore there was no net connection for a while, and now that I'm back, FriendStream refuses to update. The last Facebook post it has is from the date I left. I've deleted and readded the widget and nothing. *Pfft.

Also, I've recognised that if you delete new email from your inbox (on your PC), that sometimes the Mail widget still shows that email in its list. This is even after a refresh. The only way to get it to resync properly is to remove the widget and readd it. This almost sounds like a (bad) Windows program. :(
  11. dsb18

dsb18 Member

You need to take the plunge and reset the device completly mine had all sorts of syncing issues, photos (from my exchange account) not showing on favorite screen but fine in people and all the facebook issues but is running well since I hard reset it, still haven't updated the facebook app as its running fine.
  12. anandroiduser

@dsb18 yea.. but I'm wondering if it's a case of, "it will work for X period, then regress again". Because in theory, that's what you've done, just put back the phone to its initial state.. the true test is letting you do that for a few more weeks and then seeing if it regresses or not.

Also, won't you lose all your stuff in a hard reset?
  13. dsb18

dsb18 Member

I will keep you informed, yes you will loose all your stuff but the Android market place keeps a record of your apps and my contacts, calendars are in MS exchange so they just get reloaded, it will be the same if you keep your information in google. I am sure I have seen a backup to SD option on the legend which you could use. The phone did seem to get messed up quite quickly but I put this down to "New Phone" messing about that I was doing so I'm giving it the benifit of the doubt and keeping my fingers crossed. When the intergration between the social networks and the phone stops it spoils the whole HTC/Android attraction and to be honest I went back to my Nokia for a time but I'm giving it another shot.
  14. anandroiduser

15. dsb18

dsb18 Member

Everything seems to be ok even updated the facebook app to 1.2 and it still syncs, facebook profile photos not updating (they did in the Hero) but I think everyone has this problem. Have been selective in what I have installed back on the Legend, staying clear of online updates widgets like news flashes etc can get the same information on twitter and my battery life has seemed to have improved without using a any power saving apps, before I brought Juice but it now comes up with a force close when I try and run it since the reset so I have removed it and "touch wood" I can get ay least 24 hrs from a charge which I can live with (was getting 12 hours before reset. Overall I am now happy with the legend, still miss calls which I am not sure why but getting there.
  16. dsb18

dsb18 Member

oh and yes I used the hardware reset as listed in the instructions
  17. anandroiduser

Hmm... I removed the facebook account and readded it, and it FriendStream seems to be working now. ... Will monitor it.. If this goes back, I may have to try the hard reset option.