HTC G2 is Freezed, Problem While rooting & accidentally formatted system/data folder

Last Updated:

1. yudopplyr

yudopplyr Member This Topic's Starter

I tried to root my phone, I successfully dowgraded but when rooting it appeared to be ok in CMD, but when rebooting my phone it didn

Advertisement
  2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Hi yudopplyr, and welcome to AF.

I'm afraid that /data and /system are rather important: /data is where all user apps and app data (including user settings, contacts) are stored, and /system is the ROM.

Can you still get into recovery (4Ext)? If so then if you copy a custom ROM .zip file onto your sd card (either use a card reader or mount usb storage from 4Ext Recovery and copy over usb) you should be able to install it ("install zip from sd" menu). You should always do a factory reset first, but as you've already formatted /data it may not matter so much (but worth doing, if only to clean up .android_secure on your sd card).

I'm afraid I've no idea what those backup files are, though I'm not familiar with the Desire Z/G2 (I do have an HTC Desire and use 4Ext Touch recovery on that, but don't recognise those filenames). For the same reason I can't recommend a ROM for this phone.

yudopplyr likes this.
  3. yudopplyr

Thanks, for the answer you gave me an idea how to solve my problem, I used the stock Rom of this phone from this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1314541

Apparently the rooting proccess work even after installing the ROM again :) .

This problem is solved, thanks for the answer.

Note: I installed the ROM from the EXT 4 Touch recovery

4. Hadron

Yes, that's a pre-rooted version of the stock ROM (all custom ROMs I know of are already rooted) :)

5. yudopplyr

Oh I did not know that, so that is why its rooted, well I

6. yudopplyr

As another doubt, will something happen if I restore to factory settings from the settings menu in the phone? Will the phone get bricked or will my phone get unrooted?

7. Hadron

Neither.

But to be safe, take a backup from recovery once you have it set up. Then if anything crazy happens you can restore the system to its current state.

8. yudopplyr

Well I think my problem is solved and answered, thanks for everything.

9. Hadron

No worries - it's what we (try to) do :)