• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Gingerbread update.

Reading this topic has got me quite confused.

I bought a DHD from Phones4U in November on an Orange contract. Now when I bought the phone, the salesman advised he had no branded handsets left so would have to sell me a GSM model (which I class as unbranded). I was quite happy with this as usually the orange software branding is ugly.

When I spoke to Orange to sort out phone insurance, I was advised they cannot insure the phone (as it's a GSM model) and might not be able to provide support as it was not provided by them.

I'm on 1.72.405.3 at the moment and hope that I'll get the stock HTC update as the last thing I want is Orange colours and logos all over my phone.

I've been having a discussion on the orangeUK Facebook page take a look people post your Response. Orange UK are hopeless. sorry i cant post link no idea why it wont link the facebook posts. Enjoy your read.

Upvote 0
All i can say now is FOOK YOU HTC!

"Tsk Tsk" Patience is a virtue!

Those who are waiting (including me) for Gingerbread are a "tad" annoyed, but what can we done?? Wait. That's the long and short of it.

HTC are doing what they are doing, for reasons they feel (and no doubt are) correct. By having a rant isn't going to speed things up at all, so we're all in the same boat, unless one goes down the "root" path. I certainly don't intend to do that.

So, let's just "chill out", wait, and continually check our phones to see if we can get the update :)

Just my three penneth :)

Upvote 0
I had a little think about this whole update thing from a business perspective, and I hate to say it but what HTC are doing makes commercial sense to them.

Regarding the branded/unbranded first debate, it makes perfect sense for the updates to be released thru the operators first.

They buy the majority of handsets from HTC, and HTC have to serve them better than anyone else to protect that revenue stream: both for the DHD and other handsets.

As far as I can tell, it's infuriating for us unbranded folks, but I think the people that buy off the shelf unbranded units make up a very small percentage of total ownership.

Same goes for how far HTC will update the DHD. They'll only keep pushing updates if major carriers want them, the phone is current, etc etc. If there's no business justification (ie: money rolling in), then there's no point in continuing to update a handset.

I'm assuming the Nexus models are special because of agreements with Google...they are supposed to be the flagship models, after all.

This is only one opinion and I guess people will flame me for it....I'm also not happy myself, but HTC are a business. Just remember that.

Uri your conclusion doesn't make any sense about who HTC treat better or not, truth of it is that in reality HTC get the code from Google and apply Sense.

HTC then release their tweaked 2.3 code with Sense to the networks to apply their bloatware.

Once thats done HTC should release the update to unbranded handsets. The software is there to be implemented and networks then only have themselves to blame for adding bloatware and possibly losing customers due to lack of prompt update/device support.

The only business benefit HTC could make is if they signed up a network to pay them for a timed exclusivity deal for their handsets, which to me in the UK appears to have been the case with Vodafone. Because as it stands none of the other networks have been able to issue said update and a lot of frontline support staff for other networks don't even know about an update at all.

Upvote 0
Another conflicting answer -

Thank you for contacting us. John the 2.3 update is being rolled out to customers at the moment. It is deployed in order of serial number so you will just need to keep checking and the update will make its way to you. You can check for updates by pressing MENU - SETTINGS - ABOUT PHONE - SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATES - CHECK NOW. If there is an update then please download and install it. I trust that the above resolves your situation. If however you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for contacting HTC.

A chat session cancelled before I had the opportunity to finish yesterday and I couldn't log back on so I emailed my query, this is their response.

I'm about to email him back.

Upvote 0
Another conflicting answer -

A chat session cancelled before I had the opportunity to finish yesterday and I couldn't log back on so I emailed my query, this is their response.

I'm about to email him back.

El Presidente,

Strangely enough, I have just received the exact response where I had re-mailed them to see what the delay was, as they had pulled the announcement from their website and I thought there may have been a problem with the roll-out.

Anyway. Just a case of waiting now. Although focused on receiving the update in about two weeks, I still check for the update a few times per day 8-/

Cheers

Upvote 0
Here's my response to Richard -

Hi Richard, thank you for your response, much appreciated. I had a chat with one of your agents earlier regarding the update and the status of my phone. Unfortunately, from that conversation and your response, further questions have arisen.

My issue is that my IMEI (616) according to your records is an Orange Branded handset. However, as you can see by the attached picture, the software on my handset is version 1.72.405.3 which I understand to be a Stock HTC ROM? The handset came with build 1.32.405.6, Android 2.2 but I received an OTA update in December upgrading to Android 2.2.1 and the above build number. I'd also like to point out I've not rooted my device, I've also not debranded in anyway as I've no desire to void my warranty. (The screenshot attached was taken using the Android Develeopr Kit and the guide here - Take Android screenshots without root | Android Central)

The lady I spoke with this morning told me that it's only unbranded handsets which are being updated at present and that it's not being done in any specific order, however your response indicates that it's being done by handset serial number. From this, I have a number of issues -

1. Am I going to receive 2.3.3? If HTC think my IMEI/Serial is branded, does that mean I will be omitted from this update?
2. If I'm Orange Branded, why do I have a stock HTC ROM on my handset? (I've no complaints here, I'd rather not have the Orange bloatware)
3. The lady I spoke with this morning said I'd get my updates from Orange. Why did I receive a previous update from HTC?
4. If I'm supposed to receive updates from Orange, why isn't my firmware version 1.84.61.2 (I believe this is the latest Orange ROM)?

I'm sorry this appears to be a difficult query, but hopefully you can understand my issues; I'm paranoid that as I appear to fall into a "support gap", I'm not going to receive the update. You also may not be able to answer question 2 or 4, but I would like an answer from HTC in relation to question 1 & 3.

If it's easier to resolve by phone, you (or a colleague) are free to contact me on 999 to discuss further as I would like a response from HTC especially as I appear to have been given conflicting information.

Kind Regards,
John

I'm not even that bothered about the update, I'm just off shift at the moment and bored. HTC have also annoyed me because they don't appear to know their arse from their elbow.

Upvote 0
"Tsk Tsk" Patience is a virtue!

Those who are waiting (including me) for Gingerbread are a "tad" annoyed, but what can we done?? Wait. That's the long and short of it.

HTC are doing what they are doing, for reasons they feel (and no doubt are) correct. By having a rant isn't going to speed things up at all, so we're all in the same boat, unless one goes down the "root" path. I certainly don't intend to do that.

So, let's just "chill out", wait, and continually check our phones to see if we can get the update :)

Just my three penneth :)

Can't I say what I want? Sides I've been chilly for far too long now

Upvote 0
This is clearly not the case in these circumstances owing to the fact that Vodafone are rolling this out before anyone else.
HTC announced 2nd quarter and its that time, so I guess Voda waited until HTC had put 'something' out (even if only beta or quickly retracted). Good on them.. :D

I too, keep checking with my stock Froyo DHD, but nothing from OrangeUK as yet. However, my rooted DHD has had both LeeDroid & CoreDroid ROMs, which look great & run nicely but are, IMO, bloated - due to the Devs preferences on what apps should be pre-loaded.

I've recently loaded seraphics 'almost-stock' & 'custom' ROMs for that near-standard feel... & although the fancy bits from the other Devs are noticably missing, there are still enough basic improvements to make Gingerbread worth having as & when those pesky Networks release it.

screenshot2ir.png

Upvote 0
This is taken from the Google I/O earlier today -

The founding partners are Verizon, HTC, Samsung, Sprint, Sony Ericsson, LG, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Motorola and AT&T, and we welcome others to join us. To start, we're jointly announcing that new devices from participating partners will receive the latest Android platform upgrades for 18 months after the device is first released.

Hopefully that means Gingerbread won't be the last update, IF we ever get Gingerbread :p

Upvote 0
My device has 1.32.405.6 and is on 2.2 I got it in march so I missed the fabled 172 update
It was supplied via cpw on a Orange contract for my wife who wanted to keep her wildfire as she is not gadget girl as she called it

No Orange bloatware but now has o2 sim
Do I get update via orange , o2 or HTC ?

I would assume that it should be via HTC but HTC support has been giving somewhat strange answers to that question. Try their Livechat Support (open until 9pm) and just give them the IMEI number. They'll tell you whether it's unbranded or not.

Upvote 0
This is taken from the Google I/O earlier today -

Hopefully that means Gingerbread won't be the last update, IF we ever get Gingerbread :p

Google clarifies 18 month Android upgrade program, details far from solidified -- Engadget

Nah apparently when they clarified the 18 month claim and Andy Rubin said there are still issues and when quoted stated: "It's a logistics problem."

Which when translated by me results in logistics = HTC and Vodafone for us...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
On the HTC UK Facebook page, htc have replied to someones message saying "the update for HTC Incredible S will roll out for SIM-free handsets and operator-locked handsets at the same time" I expect this also means the DHD seems they're supposed to be rolling out at the same time pretty much.

So I guess we're waiting for all the operators to sort it out.. This is so WRONG WRONG WRONG. I don't get why the rest of unbranded europe gets it and we don't

Upvote 0
I'm running this at the moment but is reportedly buggy for some people. I haven't had any noticable issues yet though.

It appears that HTC pushed out a version 2 of this to some users.

It is the wifi setting.. your WIFI will disconnect if RSSI falls under -88. They have been mods to the Framwork.jar file to get around this.

And to know if you are branded or unbranded, look for X.405.X. This means you are unbranded.

Or an easier way, if you got the 1.84 update, you are branded, if you are stuck on 1.72 or 1.32, you are most likely unbranded.

As far as I am aware, UK still has not rolled out for unbranded and only vodafone branded has been rolled out.

Upvote 0
On the HTC UK Facebook page, htc have replied to someones message saying "the update for HTC Incredible S will roll out for SIM-free handsets and operator-locked handsets at the same time" I expect this also means the DHD seems they're supposed to be rolling out at the same time pretty much.

So I guess we're waiting for all the operators to sort it out.. This is so WRONG WRONG WRONG. I don't get why the rest of unbranded europe gets it and we don't

Which is still a load of balls or we'd have all got it the same time as Vodafone users. In the information age we live in companies should stop treating us all like we are thick.

Upvote 0
hmm am I the only one with software number 1.84.707.2, version 2.2.1 ?

Im unbranded in New Zealand and haven't received any update yet, phone is imported from Asia though, I downloaded the HTC 2.2.1 update a few months back which changed the software number to above but haven't seen anyone else mention it yet..

Upvote 0
hmm am I the only one with software number 1.84.707.2, version 2.2.1 ?

Im unbranded in New Zealand and haven't received any update yet, phone is imported from Asia though, I downloaded the HTC 2.2.1 update a few months back which changed the software number to above but haven't seen anyone else mention it yet..
I am from Malaysia with an unbranded HD, with the same software number as you. I was informed by HTC customer support that to expect the 2.3 update at the end of May.
Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones