• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero 1.5 - 2.1 upgrade

Thanks Slug, but as I said - now it really is official (link)

I'm just curious how will it get to my phone :)

I'm not from USA, I'm from Europe [Romania] and I'm really curious about the flow for a Android user (what he must do in order to have the latest available firmware on his Android-based mobile)

This is for the USA Hero, not European, so it's still not official for us yet.
When it does come it will most probably be a download on the HTC website

Upvote 0
This is for the USA Hero, not European, so it's still not official for us yet.
When it does come it will most probably be a download on the HTC website

What concerns me most about the upcoming upgrade is HOW to save my phonebook. I understand that they will be obliterated, along with all apps, when the upgrade is completed. Basically, it seems to be a factory reset of the phone.

Upvote 0
What concerns me most about the upcoming upgrade is HOW to save my phonebook. I understand that they will be obliterated, along with all apps, when the upgrade is completed. Basically, it seems to be a factory reset of the phone.

It is, pretty much. Everything not on the SD card or backed up will disappear. How to save your contacts depends on what type of contact they are (Phone, Sim or Google). Google contacts and SIM contacts wont be affected.

Upvote 0
It is, pretty much. Everything not on the SD card or backed up will disappear. How to save your contacts depends on what type of contact they are (Phone, Sim or Google). Google contacts and SIM contacts wont be affected.

I just save phone numbers in the conventional way. I do not save them to Google. They are not on the SD card - I don't even know how to do that.

They are on my phone's internal phonebook.

THOSE are the numbers that I want to survive the upgrade.

When you you get a new phone, Sprint always transfers these numbers for me. But I don't think they will be able to do that with this upgrade. Or, can they?

In any case, I'm wondering what the best way is to save my internal phone numbers so that, after the upgrade, I can reinstall them. Losing all my phone contacts would be a disaster.

Upvote 0
I just save phone numbers in the conventional way. I do not save them to Google. They are not on the SD card - I don't even know how to do that.

They are on my phone's internal phonebook.

THOSE are the numbers that I want to survive the upgrade.

When you you get a new phone, Sprint always transfers these numbers for me. But I don't think they will be able to do that with this upgrade. Or, can they?

In any case, I'm wondering what the best way is to save my internal phone numbers so that, after the upgrade, I can reinstall them. Losing all my phone contacts would be a disaster.

As for how to back up your contacts, there are apps that will save your contacts to the SD card. Or ones that can be used to store your apps with google (which would mean your contacts are safe even if you upgrade your firmware/throw the phone under a bus).

I'm not sure which apps can backup/restore contacts. MyBackupPro probably can, and that has a free 30 day trial on the market.

I'm not sure about what Sprint can do for you, this isn't the sprint hero forums after all. If you're on sprint, know that we're all jealous of your update being available :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones