Htc Hero 2.1 Google Earth.

Last Updated:

1. mark1252003

mark1252003 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, today (At last!) I managed to get the above update, I was told about Google Earth for the Nexus one etc so I got it, installed it but everytime I go to use it it just takes me back to the home screen for some reason. Apparently the Hero uses a ARMv6 processor or something whereas the Nexus uses a ARMv7 one thus making the Hero not compatible, surely there must be a way around this as Google Earth is a favourite program of mine. :confused::confused:

Advertisement
  2. Diamond-Geezer

Diamond-Geezer Active Member

Taken from another thread.

Big up fivebass52

I've tried it works a treat.

3. superlinkx

superlinkx Active Member

The processor is the main reason it won't work. The graphics on the Hero's chipset don't support the latest version of OpenGL, which is the graphics generator used by Google earth. Basically, there is no way to run it, because the phone is incapable. Actually, you could perhaps get OpenGL support by rooting, but it will break a lot of your built in applications. It is also why Live Wallpapers won't work on the Hero, since most live wallpapers use OpenGL.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Custom ROMs offer some OpenGL support, but it isn't brilliant. I'm not sure what the current state of OpenGL is in the Villain ROMs, but google earth crashes on Froyd too.