HTC Hero alternate keyboard

Last Updated:

1. ZoeyGirlz

ZoeyGirlz New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. This is my 3rd HTC but first Android (Had a Blackberry Curve too). Like Hero a lot but the onscreen keyboard is driving me batty! First off, it doesn't work well if my fingers are cold. And second off, it does not seem to be accurate, especially on the far right hand side. Also, I swear my fingers are quite small and even if I press a letter smack dab in the middle, I get the letter above. And don't get me started on the backspace key.

I really really like my Hero. But I need a different onscreen keyboard. Can anybody make any suggestions? I can't do any programming, etc. so it will have to be a pretty much straight download.

Any help would be appreciated or this thing is going back to Sprint.

Zoey.

Advertisement
  2. cafolla1

cafolla1 Member

try better keyboard, search it in the market

3. energizer1389

energizer1389 Member

I think you need to re-calibrate you're screen. You should be fine.

4. yaeger

yaeger Member

Is there calibration for the landscape keyboard? I seem to stumble more there than the portrait mode. My only fix has been to place the hero on a desk and tap with my two index fingers... :/

5. energizer1389

energizer1389 Member

I meant re-calibrate you're screen.

6. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

There is actually a calibration for the keyboard itself, but only in portrait mode for some reason...

7. ZoeyGirlz

Hi. I've recalibrated the keyboard multiple times. I had looked in the Market however, I was looking for USER recommendations. I downloaded barcode scanner from the market. Then downloaded Shapewriter. I can see a bit of change, but not a lot. Thanks for any other suggestions anybody else has to offer.

8. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

How do you calibrate your screen?

9. ZoeyGirlz

Sorry, I was in a hurry and should have been more precise. Have recalibrated the screen several times. Settings/Locale and Text/Touch Input/Text Input/Calibration Tool for the person who was inquiring.

10. durandetto

Yeah, I've done that numerous times as well. It doesn't seem to help I still have trouble hitting the keys on the edge of the screen. Especially the P, Q and space bar.

11. ZoeyGirlz

My right side chars, particularly backspace were a big problem. So much so that I had begun picking up my crackberry and using that to send messages instead. I downloaded Shapewriter a few hours ago and I do see some improvement. I found AndroidAnarchy.com had the Shapewriter (plus a few other interesting things.)

12. durandetto

I'll have to look into that.

13. Raindroid

Raindroid Member

I feel your pain :( everytime i attempt to push the backspace key i push the enter key. i flippin hate this keyboard. might as well be using a moto q.

14. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

how do i turn on the shape writer thing i checked it in settings but its the same keyboard

nvm i got it

15. rank

rank Active Member

says shapewriter is for 1.6 and up?

16. mich0020

mich0020 Well-Known Member

After 2 months of qwerty, I just switched to the compact querty. So much easier to use because of the bigger buttons and my accuracy has gone way up. When you search for something and the text is not predictive, you can double tap -- that took a bit of getting used to, but overall I am much happier. While I love this phone, I never could accurately type on the the standard qwerty keyboard....